Clear all

Songwriting subconscious

35 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hopefully I'm not alone on this because if I am, this will sound weird. Lately I've been having dreams with songs in them that I've never heard before. At first I thought maybe they were songs I heard but forgot but I ruled that out as the lyrics usually involve whatever is on my mind at the time I fall asleep. I try to write down the lyrics when I can but always forgot the melody the following morning.

This happen to anyone else?

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@davidhodge)

Usually the other way 'round - I'll remember the melody but not the lyrics.

It is a weird feeling, though...

Peace

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That topic came up recently . . . I believe Dogbite brought it up.
Here's part of the thread . . .

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39367&p=360837&hilit=+dream#p360453

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Happens to me too. So often, in fact, I've taken to keeping a pencil and pad by the bed! With me, it's lyrics I've got to write down - there's always something there to give me a clue as to melody. There's nothing worse than waking up in the morning and that wonderful idea you had last night is now just a fleeting memory. Then again, I don't actually get much sleep, so when most of my best ideas come along late at night, I'm usually still awake....

Er.....like now at 3.47 AM......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've heard absolutely awesome music in dreams that was not stuff I've heard before. Everything from slide guitar stuff like I might really play to full symphonic stuff. And yeah, songs, too. One vivid dream was of a totally silly and bizarre church children's Christmas musical program that went wildly awry. Very funny. Wish I could record it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Been there, still doing that.

I keep a pen and paper by my bed for cool dreams like that. (looks like Vic beat me to that comment :shock: )

Bad thing is the lyrics don't usually come out like in the dream. What an empty, bummed out feeling that can be.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Am I o the only one who doesn't hear anything when I dream? No wind blowing, footsteps, no voices and certainly no music. :?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

woof.

hey grunge...that happens more and more when I am immersed in a music project. I can rehearse my playing in my head.
but what you are experiencing is more unconscious. I believe that too comes from being involved with guitar or music, lets say.
the mind does not stop working things out when we put our instrument down. memory and learning are a process that occurs despite our conscious effort, I believe. we process our experiences in our 'idle' moments. the muscles have memory and neurons are growing, making new path ways in our brain.
it seems reasonable that a song or a lick or a melody pops into our conscious during this processing. it is so cool.

as I wrote before, sometimes I experience playing an instrument in my dream. an effortless and most beautiful experience. an incredible melody comes out. upon waking the dream bits slowly melt. I once tried to capture one of those melodies, but as soon as I played the first note..and it was in the wrong key; the memory of that melody disappeared.

I hope you have many experiences like the ones you are having. they feel great and I think it is an indication that you are growing as a musician.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I don't hear music, at least in the foreground, at all. However, if I could remember what I dreamed, I could write some wild books and movies. I can dream up some stuff that make Alice In Wonderland seem like reality. I wake up often doing one of those head shakes with a 'whoa, dude....' kind of things. I can even sometimes sense in my dreams that I am making a concious effort to be even weirder and go from there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I can hear sounds in dreams, but I never hear music. I do tend to actually physically feel things in my dreams, though, believe it or not, which is a little weird sometimes. My dreams tend to be completely off the wall bizarre, so it's possible if there's music in them I just don't notice it because of all the other absurdity going on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also tend to have lucid dreams, where you're fully aware that you are, in fact, in a dream. Those are fun, because you can start to control somewhat what happens.

Dreams are fascinating to me.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Am I o the only one who doesn't hear anything when I dream? No wind blowing, footsteps, no voices and certainly no music. :?
And don't forget the scary clown chasing you.
You don't dream of that either.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I think I did when I watched that Stephan King movie when I was a kiddy. For the rest, nope, no clowns either. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I rarely dream so my song writing is always conscious.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I don't remember my dreams, pretty much ever. Once every few months I'll have a confused, fading memory of a vague something or other like "hey, wasn't I just on a boat?", and that's it. So, it is with deep and bitter jealousy that I say: you guys are all cheating! :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have never ever heard anything called 'music'. But, I do get dreams of playing guitars I do not own.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3