Skip to content
Sony installing spy...

Notifications
Clear all

Sony installing spyware on your computer?

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well apparently Sony installs some spyware on your computer with their copyright protected cds.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Son y's_DRM_protected_CDs_install_Windows_rootkits

Even though I don't buy any cds that are copyright protected I still think this is completely idiotic. :roll:

Edit: The aprostophe in the url won't let the link so you're going to have to copy and paste into your browser's address bar.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yeah, I heard about that. If I were affected by it I'd be very angry, but I'm only regular angry as things stand.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

These days, I'm really not surprised.

A few years ago for Christmas I got a Sony minidisc player and after using a pack of disc the program stopped working because either Sony or the software developer thought it a good idea to have a bug in the program. So now I'm stuck with a few unused minidisc and junk software.

Sony can be a wacky company.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The real problem is that this rootkit hides files in a VERY simple way. Any folder name that starts with $sys$ will be hidden from Windows by this piece of crap. That opens the door for script kiddies with little to no real programming skills to use this software to hide any malicious junk they want.

There are already reports of some cheat software for Worlds of Warcraft using the Sony stuff to hide from Blizzard's anticheat program.

Sony needs their **** in a vice for this one!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The real problem is that this rootkit hides files in a VERY simple way.

No. The REAL problem is that some company has decided to install software I don't want on my computer, without my consent. It is a trespass to chattels, it's a violation of numerous computer security law. It's a violation of contract in that I purchased music and agreed to install a player, not a rootkit.

Further, as the rootkit is not meantioned in the Sony player EULA at all, even by implication, it seems clear to me that Sony is very much liable for any damages that any exploit of this rootkit has. So, when some clever spammer decides to start naming all their files $sys$... and brings down some ISP, then Sony will find themselves on the hook for a nice chunk of change.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I think the best way to combat this problem is to stay off the internet.

That'll teach'm.

Cya! :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

So, when some clever spammer decides to start naming all their files $sys$... and brings down some ISP, then Sony will find themselves on the hook for a nice chunk of change.

Sad thing is that this might be the only way for anyone to care. Unless Sony is sued for mega money or otherwise get dragged into court on charges, they will continue to do as they please.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

That's why I always disable Autorun.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I think the best way to combat this problem is to stay off the internet.

Or use a Mac.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Or use a Mac.
Yeah, your right less viruses and we don't have to worry about running most of our software :lol: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Or use a Mac.
Or Linux! Mmmm... delicious obscurity.

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to buy a mac when the new intel chips come out on the mac. :)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I'm going to buy a mac when the new intel chips come out on the mac. :)
Yup. And they run XP :twisted: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Yep, should've mentioned Linux as an alternative as well.

As far as major applications are concerned, there's very little that's available for Windows that isn't available for the Mac. Probably about as much as is available for the Mac that isn't for Windows. For other applications, if there isn't already a Mac version of it, there's an application under a different name that will do the same thing. I can't think of much that people do on a PC that can't be done on a Mac.

I'm just continuously amazed at what Windows users are willing to tolerate.

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm just continuously amazed at what Windows users are willing to tolerate.

I think it's more or less people don't know about any other solutions, because the computer made by Dell, HP, and other big computer manufactures loads there system with windows primarily. So most people don't know how good Linux or a Mac is. I bet if the big computer manufactures put Linux on their computers that it would be more popular.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2