Notifications
Clear all

Special Guitar Players

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@spides)
Estimable Member

yay grungey!!! congrats on post # 100. Full member ;)

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Grunge, everyone likes to dance to a happy song with a catchy chorus and BEAT so they can sing along. The shredders shred this rule.

That's exactly what I mean. I never mentioned shredders but it got mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CfEaSmdtGU

If you watch this video, there is no shredding in it. Yet somehow Steve Vai taking the time to get good at what he does is bad?

I agree everyone wants a catching tune but it still begs the question if you should stop yourself from advancing at some point.

Also, singing along is fun but whether or a guitar solo has shredding or not, I don't sing along during guitar solos are they are not accompanied by vocals.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Good video, Grunge.
And strangely enough the last type of video I expected from you.
Full harmonic orchestra, conductor, audience and orchestra members dressed in formal attire.
Even SV was dressed in white shirt and tie. Well, I guess you could call it a tie.
Not what I expected from a poster called GrungeSunset. Not exactly a grunge event.
You betray yourself . . . and your cause.
You did not further grunge with that post.
Shame on you.
And what's really weird, I don't even know if this post is on topic or not.
But I do know that my posts are always "Special". :shock:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

She can't further Grunge with that last post because I don't think she recognized a Weezer quote. Automatic disqualification...I'm calling her Sunset from now on.
Let's call her SunniDay (in honor of the Sabbath)
That'll teach her to respect grunge.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

awesome vid grunge. I don't usually like vai but that was quite the beautiful, understated performance.
I know what yu mean, but at the end of the day thats just because all artforms attract elitists who can talk much better than they can play. It's like giving a food critic a kitchen and saying "cook" Guarantee what they come out with won't be half as good as some of the food they've slammed.

Every thing has its place.

A great example is Yngwie.

On the denver G3, vai, satch and Yngwie all get onstage at the end for a jam. Satch and Vai, brilliant technicians as they are, are also terrific listeners and musicians, they know when to sit back, when to comp, and when to go for it. And their playing reflects this. They are looking at each other, listening, and just generally communicating with each other.

Meanwhile Yngwie is off in the other corner of the stage smashing his way through an assortment of scale and arpeggio exercises really really fast with the same diddly-iddly sound the whole way through the jam. Sure, i doubt many could as fast or as accurately get through those same runs, but does it fit into the context of the music?

Some people are used to being and remaining the focal point of everything they play, and they write and arrange music to maintain that position. Get them in an equal ensemble, and they are no good at listening to the other players.

I feel your point and agree to an extent, but i think what can't be pinned to jealousy on the part of a lot of detractors, comes down to listening ability.

PS you still have full grunge cred in my eyes, weezer are power pop, not grunge.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

There is only one grunge band and that is Nirvana, the other so called grunge bands are not even close. Wheezer are definately not grunge.

Jack

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

weezer is definitely not grunge

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Its closer than other songs i've heard by them, but just doesn't have that little something Nirvana has. At least IMO.

Jack

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Take a listen to this Weezer song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQeTHqb9i4&feature=related
I'll pass, TY.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nez,

Are you a weezer fan? Me too :D

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Think whatever you want. But Rivers a disciple of Kurt. Just listen to Pork and Beans. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, anyone? It's all the same doo doo, as Rivers would say. Take a listen to this Weezer song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQeTHqb9i4&feature=related

I enjoyed the song. It's definitely alternative rock but doesn't feel like grunge to me. However Seether was heavily influenced by Nirvana and I wouldn't call them grunge either. I do like Weezer. Couldn't tell you why I don't think they are grunge, at first I thought it was they don't have enough of that dirty sound but I consider Blind Melon's No Rain grunge and it's an acoustic song.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

This is how I define what Weezer and Nirvana does: simple quiet verse, really good loud melody. Repeat. And repeat again. And again.
I could list about eight thousand non-grunge bands who apply that formula to their songwriting.

This just in, Nirvana were an influential band. Who, in turn, were influenced by the bands like the Dead Kennedys and the Ramones. Does that make them punk because the Ramones were punk? Except the Ramones were influenced by a lot of 60's surf music. Does that mean that Kurt Cobain was a closet beach boy?

Personally I don't care much for Nirvana's melodies (sorry grungey, the riffs are well wicked tho) they are a bit too depressing for me. (yeah i know, the emo boy finds Nirvana a bit too depressing, well hey, their singer actually did top himself... allegedly. Take that stereotypes!!) Where as Weezers melodies have all the great hooks of a good pop song.

I think that almost every mildly "ALTERNATIVE" (what does that even mean???) rock band since Nirvana, and even many before, use pretty much that exact formula when writing pop songs.

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

So can i actually, its something about the hair.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I've had the pleasure of playing with cnev myself :D Had a great time 8)
As far as being a guitar player I think there are guitar players who play well enough to jam with the local garage band and those who are truly gifted and know their stuff. I would be in the first category :wink: I call myself a guitar player, but I know I'm not destined to play with the 'Allman Brothers Band' :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I see Kurt more of a person who couldn't stop grungling.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3