Squier Tele-Any Good?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys,

Been reading some reviews about the Squier Telecasters as it is a guitar i'm interested in buying, as i currently cannot afford a standard or even a mex tele! But im just wondering, anybody else have one? Are they a good guitar? I have been playing about 3 years and was talking to the local shop salesmen, he said they were quite a good buy, components of course nothing like standards or anything like that but for something that looks good and is fun to play they are perfect. Anybody have any personal experience with them? Just would like to know before i make a decision.
Did a quick search on this site too, seems a few people are happy with them, but just thought i'd see if anyone could add any fresh input to the subject.

Thanks,
Tom

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've had a Squier Tele for a couple of years now. I like it. When I 1st got it, the frets stuck out on the edge of the neck alittle, but I had the frets filled down, the action lowered, and a new nut installed for a couple of bucks & it plays like butter now! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Or, you can go the whole hog and pop down to Matt Umanov guitars in Bleecker St, New York like I did last week - they've got a 1954 Fender Tele in a locked case, looking a bit distressed, with a $50,000 price tag on it (so presumably that's plus sales tax and NYC tax).

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

Nothing inherently wrong with Squiers, just look at a bunch and make sure you get one where everything works, neck isn't twisted, no painfully sharp frets, that kind of thing. But if you get a decent one that's set up nice I think it will serve your needs very well.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I have a Squier vintage modified thinline Telecaster and I love it.
I one thing that I have to complain about is that the fret board radius makes bends tricky...er.
But there still not that hard to do.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, check out the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series.

And check out the 7.25' and 9.5' radii but I think it shouldn't be a problem.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm a fan of Squier guitars - had a couple and loved them both. My Squier Custom Tele was my main guitar for about two and a half years, until I found THE guitar - my MIM Fender Tele. I made a few comparisons between them not long after I got the Fender.... Squier Tele V Fender Tele

These days, the Squier is still kept in open G for slide, and the Fender Tele's still my main guitar, and probably will be for a long time to come.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for all the replies!

It seems as though as long as i do my homework and play it in store first, i shouldn't have any problems! Hopefully i'll be able to go and have a look next week some time!

Cheers
Tom

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Mine is ...... :? :lol: :lol: :lol: There are two kinds, the Affinity and Standard. Mine is a Standard, they are a little closer in quality to the Fender model.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, i ended up buying a butterscotch affinity, and it's a great guitar for the price in my opinion! Will post some pics when my camera comes back (my sis has it currently)

Thanks for all the help!

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Well, i ended up buying a butterscotch affinity, and it's a great guitar for the price in my opinion! ...

I hope you enjoy your new Squier Tele. I've had one for a couple of years and it's a 'will never part with guitar'. I don't know if mine's butterscotch but here it is:

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

nice looking guitar :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats like the one I have, only mine has a Duncan Tele Hotrail at the bridge. Yeah, I de-honked it. It doesn't honk but it growls now. :twisted:

Well, I do have a coil tap via a push pull pot on the tone controll, but it's not the same.

Enjoy it, I think you will find it's a good guitar. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote