Clear all

SRV appreciation thread

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know where to put this, but SRV really influenced me to play, and he's one of my idols. I just wanted to see if anybody(besides you, Tracker 8) ) really got in to Stevie Ray. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@thenextsrv)

he's the reason i picked up a guitar.SRV is the best guitarist ever!

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

SRV is great, but I just can't enough of his brother Jimmie's blues sounds, out of that Fender. There is nothing like Texas Blues.

Anyway I want to learn Texas Flood, by the end of the year.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

He has it all...Everyone's favorite alblum??

Mine are Couldn't Stand the Weather and In Step...

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

In step.

I love him. GREAT. Cant get enough.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hey djdubb, I think that Jimmie has progressed as a musician though the years. SRV, unfortunetly, didn't get the chance to progress as much. I think if SRV was still alive, he would be making even better music.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Are Riviera Paradise and Little Wing off of In Step or another album? (or is each song off seperate albums?) because the only two albums I have (and have been able to find around here) are Texas Flood and Couldn't stand the weather.

Anyway, Stevie's playing definitly influenced me a couple years back when I thought I knew everything about guitar playing, as soon as I heard Texas Flood, I knew not only did I not know everything but that I had a LONG way to go.

With that said, maybe it was just the recording quality compared to the 60's, or maybe it was just Stevie's style; but I enjoy Stevie's versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Chile more then Hendrix'. I guess you can also say that besides just his guitar playing, both Stevie and Hendrix have inspired me to sing. I once read in an interview with Stevie that he learned to sing by mimicing the sounds on his guitar, and I figured that I could do that! So I tried singing a couple days back at a gig and people said I sounded good.

Speaking of singing, I think that Stevie didn't get as much credit as he should've for his voice (or maybe it was just overshadowed by his guitar playing)

Oh, I almost forgot... Riviera Paradise and Little Wing are my favorite SRV tunes, so whatever album they're off of would have to be my favorite. :D

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

WOW!!! Talk about being singled out. :P

SRV's playing drew me in but, seeing the emotion he put into his music sold me for life. He was a great overall entertainer and very modest. I could go on and on but, I won't.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

lol Tracker, I just remembered your avatar. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah.. I liked Hendrix's version of VooDoo Chile better, but little wing is incredible. SRV really did an exellent job on Little Wing. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

lenny, little wing, the sky is crying, life by the drop, wham, and Pride and Joy are my favorite SRV songs. It's tough to pick just one album. but if I had to, itd be the Sky is crying becuase it has 4 of my favorite songs on it. Yall should check out live at mugambo or however you spell. SRV rips hendrix a new one on voodoo chile.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

Are Riviera Paradise and Little Wing off of In Step or another album? (or is each song off seperate albums?) because the only two albums I have (and have been able to find around here) are Texas Flood and Couldn't stand the weather.

Riviera Paradise is on In Step. The studio version of Little Wing can be found on "The Essential SRV and DT" and Greatest Hits. Live version (with 3rd stone from the sun) can be found on Disc 2 of the boxed set and the COuldn't Stand the Weather re-release.

To answer the topic. Take a look at my handle and sig. :) He's what inspired me to pick up the guitar in the first place. Although I have also found many other influences since then.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

He's really, really awesome. Definitely in my top 10 faves, along with Texas Flood as one of my top 10 favorite albums.

(however, Slash got me playing guitar - so he's my personal #1!)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The CD box set is awesome(it comes with a DVD, I think), but I wish they made a DVD box set. Like a collaboration of Montreux, ACL, etc. etc. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Pagey got me to play.

SRV is simply spectacular. I'm really fond of Voodoo Child and Mary Had A Little Lamb from the Monteaux DVD.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2