Clear all

Stacks and Combos

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What is the difference? Is one better at e.g. recording than the other? Or gigs? Which do you prefer? Any reasons to pick one over the other?

I'm interested in both recording and live uses here.

Personally, I've generally found more combos I've been happy with than I have stacks or half-stacks; they seem punchier and I like that. Plus, I generally don't like stacks unless they're being cranked, and the head/stack options often result in more power than is needed for the average gig. I guess I'm a proponent of the humble combo, but was wondering what the opinions are on this.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, I have both. Right now I'm using my cheapo Epiphone Valve Special combo but have it plugged into a 4 X 12 Fender cabinet, so I suppose that qualifies as a stack. The thing with stacks is they are closed back cabinets. I find them to be more directional and tighter sounding. They are really in your face if you are in their path. Combos tend to be open backed and I think there is more sound disbursment. They are less directional and a little softer sounding. The only really good or relatively expensive amp I own is a combo, my Peavey Classic 30. My others are either solid state of of the Epiphone Valve family. (I have the Junior head and cab as well) As far as the power of the stack, I suppose thats why the head I have to go with my 4 X 12 is solid state. It is 120 watts. Cause it's SS it sounds pretty much the same at any volume setting and I tend to just use the power amp in with my SansAmp tube amp emulator. (Not a modeler but analog and IMO as close to tubes as you can get) To sum it up, I like the combo at lower volumes and the stack at higher volumes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good analysis by TR.

I agree that combos are softer and less directional, and not as "in your face" as a stack or half-stack, unless you are using a 4-10 combo; that would be super in your face IMO, example 60 watt Hot Rod Deville and 45 watt Super Reverb, '65 or later.

Perhaps it depends on what kind of music you like, and I just think that most hard rockers go the the closed-back stack, for it's loudness and punch. Reason is: they move air.

Me - likin' blues and folk, etc., I'm quite happy with with various combos from the 5 or 6 watt all-tube vintage Vibro Champ, now re-issued http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Fender-Vibro-Champ-XD-Class-A-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-.html through midrange combos such as 15 watt Blues Junior, 40 watt Blues Deluxe, loud enough for anything IMO while retaining character, to the all-out rudeness (IMO a near match to a Marshall combo without all the snap & snarl and bite :lol: ) of the Super 60, except it's only 1-12.

Well, keep a cab on hand and you can plug it in to a combo most often, if you want to change the character of your sound to a little more aggressive or out there.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote