Clear all

Stage Tuners

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thinking about getting a stage tuner I could leave plugged in online for home use and smaller gigs with the guys. Anybody have experience with the Boss TU-2 or Korg Pitchblack. Have read good and bad about both. Any comments, I guess that readability is a primary importance (for an old fart like me) no tone distortion and accuracy. Thanx for any and all input
Robbie

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't have experience with either but I have heard good things about the Boss-TU2. I have a Dean Markley and I have a slight pulsing hum that I get when the light on the tuner blinks off and on (I think that means it's in standby mode).

Anyway when we practice at the house it's noticable but I doubt it would be very noticable if you were in a club and once you start playing there is no problem. It may be just this particular pedal but even with the noise it's soooo much easier than dealing with a seperate tuner all the time and if you are playing live it's got to be a plus.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have the Boss TU-2 and found no noticable change in tone (it is switched off when I'm playing and I think it has "true bypass" tho I'm not sure). It is accurate and reliable, and I find it easy to use when I'm standing up. That said, I have demonstrated an ability to read chord charts of the floor, to the envy of other GNers, so maybe if your eyesight is bad it is worth waiting for comment from others (or hit up your local guitar store and try it yourself, it's pretty popular so they should stock it). I should however say, for dead on accuracy, Peterson, Peterson, Peterson! I don't have a Peterson, but I wish I did. They are more expensive tho, and I settled on the Boss TU-2 as "the best not-Peterson I could find and afford". My opinion only, YMMV.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Both are good, but if they are priced similarly, get the Pitchblack.

Korg is more accurate: +/- 1 cent vs. the Boss +/- 3 cents.

Korg has true bypass vs the Boss's buffer. (Some will say this doesn't matter. And sometimes you actually want a buffer first in line.)

Korg has an actual sharp sign (#) instead of a dot. MUCH easier to read when the pedal's on the floor.

Korg looks better.

Now, the Boss is good and has been tested on stages for a long long time. But, having tried a few tuners in the "best non-Peterson I can afford" category :wink: for my bass pedalboard, I found the Pitchblack to have the quickest and most accurate response. The most annoying thing about the Boss was that it would lose the note very quickly; the Korg doesn't. Oddly enough, the specs on the Boss suggest that it goes deeper, yet it had more trouble finding/holding the low notes when I tested them.

So, for speed and accuracy, at least with the two I compared, the Pitchblack wins hands down. If you google "boss tu-2 vs. korg pitchblack" you'll find many similar comments, esp. among bass players. For guitar, maybe there's less difference.

In that case, the Korg just looks better. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

heh heh, I actually haven't tried the Korg myself, and was just about to edit my post to include that rather salient fact. Still stand by my comments about it generally being reliable and my not having had problems with it. I also don't find the dot rather than sharp sign to be a problem but, like I said, I can read charts off the floor with no problems (beyond the usual, non-sight-related "oh heck, what key, what key what key?" problems, that is).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx all; watched several U tube vids and read several reviews Pitchblack vs. Tu-2 and decided on the Korg Pitchblack. It seems like the display is easier to see, brighter and less confusing. This is a need to have for an outdoor gig on the 27th, my first so didn'tt want any tuning problems. I have no local music shop and must order online. So the input really helped make up my mind. Actually I was so impressed by the Korg that I ordered another as a gift for the guy who has been helping me alot with playing skills.
Robbie

ReplyQuote