Clear all

Standard notation v. internet chords/tabs

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've started downloading for-pay sheets in standard notation from sheetmusicplus and musicnotes.com. Of course only if it looks like the key is the same as the original recording. For example, I had to transpose My Sweet Lord in musicnotes into D to match the recording. And my bass line was pretty close to the sheet. I was kind of pleased with myself. :)

Anyway, here is an example of a dilemma. This chord sheet of San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) is not altogether bad.

San Francisco – Scott McKenzie

Intro: G (2 measures)

Em C G D
If you're going to San Francisco,
Em C G D
be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
Em G C G
If you're going to San Francisco,
G Bm Em D
you're gonna meet some gentle people there.

Em C G D
For those who come to San Francisco
Em C G D
summer time will be a love in there.
Em G C G
In the streets of San Francisco,
G Bm Em D
gentle people with flowers in their hair.

I followed it along with the recording and it worked, except that I had to move the Em. It was off relative to the end of the intro and change from D in the verses.

The question is, would you stick with the free internet chord sheet or go for the $3.99 or $5.25 for the real thing? http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/search/productDetail.do?itemId=1000030229

I think I know the answer, especially since the standard sheet has the bass line and melody. I think my new approach will be to get the standard sheets whenever I can. I know I probably answered my own question.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@rr191)
Trusted Member

For me it depends on the sing and whether I can make out the chord changes, etc. If I'm having trouble with the tabs, I will try to get the sheet music so I have the beats per measure, tempo and notes in standard notations. Lately I have been looking for the songs in Guitar Pro format - this gives me both the tab and the standard notation.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've wasted so much time re-working and "prettying up" chord sheets to align the chords, and even make notations about strumming patterns. Standard notation doesn't give strumming patterns, but at least the timing can give some hint, as well as hearing the song.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Btw, most guitar tabs from Sheetmusic direct, the official Hal Leonard site, are $0.99.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, the tabs are .99. I got some of those. Now those are real tabs. Lately I've been getting the guitar/piano/vocal sheets that have the chord charts, melody line, chord and bass lines. They are a big help. Just like David's erstwhile lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Yes, the tabs are .99. I got some of those. Now those are real tabs. Lately I've been getting the guitar/piano/vocal sheets that have the chord charts, melody line, chord and bass lines. They are a big help. Just like David's erstwhile lessons.

I think that's part of the equation.
How much would you pay for the sheet music for 1 song?

Especially given that the download price of the recording of the song has evolved to around a dollar, I couldn't see myself paying much more than that for the instructions for playing it myself.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The problem for me is that I can't play by ear, yet. I can discern some things but I'm not good enough to learn a song that way. Of course, some of the published sheets are worse than internet sheets. I remember the days when published sheet music was something like $1.25 I still have a few selections I'm more than embarassed to name. That was back in the day 40 years ago when I first toyed with learning guitar.

ReplyQuote