Notifications
Clear all

Standard Strat VS Fat Strat

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@swampdog513)
Topic starter  

I am looking at buying a Fender Strat. I have played both but I am not that great so I cant decide on sound. Just wondering what opions where on one vs the other. I like to play all kinds of music so I am looking for the most versitle guitar. Been searching the gn site but have not came up with anything. Awesome web site thanks in advance

(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

I think the Fat strat will give you a wider range of sounds, although I think both are pretty versatile guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

+1 on the Fat Strat.

I have a Hwy One strat (NOT a Fat Strat) but I wish it had the HSS pickup configuration.

Go for the Fat Strat.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Both produce some great sounds. It really is just a matter of preference. I own two Strats that are the "normal" 3 single coil setup and 1 Squier Fat Strat. I like them all! The humbucker in the bridge gives you a different sound than the single coil - just depends on what sound you like.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I vote for the Fat Strat. I have a Double Fat Strat myself and I love it.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I vote Fat Strat. I love the sound of a HB but to me a strat LOOKs better with single coils in it. I know, looks are secondary in a guitar, just stating an opinion.

Overstock.com has some squiers on sale, some great deals too. If I wasn't drowning in guitars I would buy one from them. Another Option might be the Squier 51, a ton of people on this forum own atleast one.

Have Fun!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I have a telecaster copy with a humbucker in the neck, and a single coil in the bridge. Besides being completely backwards from the way I would rather have them, it is nice having the two different styles of pickups. I still haven't figured out why the humbucker is in the neck position though. It was cheap, I got it for $70 and a twelve pack of bud light from a guy at work. It plays good so I got it.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

One vote here for the standard. To me a strat should have a very specific sound, when I here it, I know it's a strat. I if wanted Humbuckers, I'd go in a differnt direction ie. gibson, PRS, etc...
IMHO, Strats ARE signle coil instruments.

:twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

another purist vote here, i think that a strat sounds better with sss config, altho the new samarium cobalt PUs with the S-1 switching do give quite a bit more variety then a standard strat imo.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

It was cheap, I got it for $70 and a twelve pack of bud light from a guy at work. It plays good so I got it.

That's exactly the way I envisioned how a "Red Neck Rocker" would acquire a guitar. Good show!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member

I vote for the Standard (SSS) just because I think you'll get a better job out of it. Then, when you feel like it, you can get any sort of guitar with a humbucker on it...

I have a Strat copy but I've played HSS Strats, and I much prefer the single coil at the bridge than a humbucker.

However, if you're going for a 'bucker, go Supersized....er I mean Double Fat. =)

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

OK. I have experience with this issue.

I owned an USA made SSS Strat in the early 1990's and another one in the mid 1990's. I had to sell both in the late 1990's.

I decided to buy a new USA made Strat in late 2004. I decided to go with the HSS configuration. I was never able to bond with it. It lacked Strat "mojo" or something. I sold it.

Now I own a Jimmie Vaughan Strat (SSS). I love it. It get's all the tones I want from a Strat. I can't recommend the JV Strat enough. It is one of the best guitar values on the market (IMO).

The only changes I made were cosmetic: I replaced the stock 1 ply, white pickguard with a 4 ply, tortoise pickguard. I also swapped the white covers and knobs with aged covers and knobs.

Here's a picture of it:

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

I vote American Deluxe Ash Strat! It's got the single coils, but also the S-1 switching system for more sound versatility. And it's beautiful (aged cherry sunburst, mine is). That said, as a complete gear junkie, I'm now relishing a Strat (or a Tele) HH. But I'd never trade my trad for it. Good luck and enjoy!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote