Steve Vai?

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Polio

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I thought they had a cure for that...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

How could anyone vote not awesome? :?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

He's done some amazing, amazing stuff. But for me, there is only so much amazing I can take in one sitting. A uber-guitarist's guitarist, but if I had a choice between listening to him play for an hour and listening to, say, Angus Young, I'd go with Angus Young.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

He's a very good guitarist.. I like some of his stuff. I don't like some other stuff by him. I'll never go to see him live.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I'd have to go with Joe Satriani hands down if given a choice between the two.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Hes awsome, much more varied and musical than Yngwie and he can be just as fast. With that said I dont like much of his stuff - he goes a bit too sappy for my tastes.
Although I do love Bad Horsie and Juice!

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I seen him on the crossroads Dvd, he is great guitar player, he's super fast.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@slapdragon)

The man has talent. He can move his fingers real fast up and down the fretboard.

Sometimes I wish though he would just pick up and play an old acoustic with moderately high action (slow him down) and play something a little different.

The electric Ibanez single string fret burning with the same ole sound gets rather old for me.

I heard that he was going to do a duet with Sharon Isbin, I thought cool. But then I heard he is going whiz with the electric guitar overtop of her fine classical guitar playing. Aw that sucks.

Its been done before with Liona boyd

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

On the contrary my good man, Steve Vai gets bored quickly with such shredding as he has stated recently in reference to the new album. Check out the new concept album Real Illusions. He plays with and orchestra and there are lots of tracks where it's just him and a acoustic. I find Steve has much more feeling than most "shredders" but he is much more than that. As a testament to his musicianship, he has worked with Frank Zappa to transcribe hours of conversations between two people, in standard musical notation. Now after hearing that, can anyone vote not awsome? regardless what you think of his music, he is a true musician. Awsome. With out a doubt.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@slapdragon)

I will have to check that out. Glad to hear he is breaking out of the shredder mould. As i siad the man has loads of talent I will grant him that.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

for ANYONE who doesnt like steve vai, I INSIST that you check out http://www.vai.com/littleblackdots.html he's an inspirational musician and i dont consider him a shredder at all but a true musical genius. as for listening to angus young for hours on end... it would be ok aside from the fact that most of AC/DC's works are very similar and tend to get boring.. they dont vary styles at all. you hear three chords and you can automatically tell its angus. Not only by tone, but by tempo and attack. I admit he has a very unique style to many other guitarists though.. which i respect. He is amazing, dont get me wrong, but vai is my hero...
PS im not a fan of "shredders" like michael angelo and YM, and even being a huge metallica fan, get very annoyed with kirk hammet's style at times. The point is Vai is not only a musician with technical ability, he also has theoretical ability and musical ability, and he conveys exactly what he wants you to hear, which most of the time, is very sappy :wink: your not the only one who hears it.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
i didn't bother to read any of the above posts... I figure if you replace the
name with Ynwaaye (?) you couldn't really tell the threads apart :)

I will say this though. Mr. Steve's best work, or I should say the best EXAMPLE of his work, is the David Lee Roth Album, Eat 'em and Smile
Roth went through a ... a I dunno a Variety revue with a Rock base.
and Steve Vai was able to play those types of music and have an
authentic sound... The Album was kinda lame though...
kinda like those movies where the actors played their parts well, but
the plot just sucked.

When He played solos in concert, he sounded alot like Jake E. lee and
Vivian Cambell and Joe Satriani
Hmmm... I wonder... do you think he INTENTIONALLY tried to sound like Eddie Van Halen on "Yankee Rose"? The rest of the songs he sounded like
well... he sounded like... himself.

I think he's pretty good - definately a Hall of Famer :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

didn't bother to read any of the above posts... I figure if you replace the
name with Ynwaaye (?) you couldn't really tell the threads apart
Maybe you should check out the other posts.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

yes steve vai is awesome, yes I have seen him live, yes he does show off too damn much and yes I'd take Joe Satriani over him any day. Then again if it was a choice of seeing David Gilmour play in pink floyd or Joe I'd know what I'd go for. It is a bit much to listen to someone play guitar for so long but when I saw G3 I really enjoyed watching and listening to Joe Satriani, he has a lot of taste.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2