Strat or Tele?

28 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Now before I begin let me say I realize this question is open to tons of interpretation and ultimately nonsensical. But, it has been bugging me a little so I want to listen to what you all think on the matter. maybe it will help me, maybe in the end it will all be just for fun.

I've thinned out the herd, a little bit. Sold of the Ibanez, the Squier '51 and some other random bits and as a result have the cash for either a Fender Standard Tele or Strat. Now, I already own a Strat and find it to be the greatest thing ever. I've played Teles before and found them to be equally great, albeit less versatile.

So my question is, if you were me, what would you do? Get the tele? or nab another strat?

Remember this is mostly just for fun, so don't get too into it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Tele.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Go with the more versatile guitar get the Tele :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Strat or Tele?

YES :D
YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER OF THEM 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Seeing that you already have a Strat, I'd go with the Tele so you'll have one of each. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say Tele - not that I'm biased in favour of Teles, perish the thought! - for the same reason as Dan - a little variety rather than two of the same. You're bound to find subtle tones and nuances in a Tele that you won't get from a Strat, and vice-versa. Personally I've always thought of the Tele as MORE versatile than the Strat.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

telecaster - and for a bit of difference, you could also look at one with a humbucker in it.

I went to a shop yesterday to look at some teles and strats, and for the price, the Standard MIM Tele felt really good and played great. The quality varies so it's best to try them out. Strats are not for me, I always try them out and hope to find one that I connect with, but so far no luck.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Tele -- trem aside, I've no problem using either Strat or Tele for the same songs. equally versatile, but different in feel, sound and vibe. the Tele's the one with all the hip and spunk.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The classic Tele's all single coils. The fat Tele would be a great second Tele, IMO.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

that's pretty definitive. well, i'm going to get a Tele then. now the only problem is what color hahahahaha

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I see I'm late, but I was going to say get the Tele simply because you already own a Strat. They are really quite different sounding guitars. With the Tele you can get that famous Country twang. But the Tele can also get lovely jazz tones, and it is one of the tightest sounding guitars when using overdrive or distortion. With a Tele you hear every string in the chord. While you can't get a Metal type tone, you can get great Punk type tones with a Tele. They stay in tune all night long unlike a Strat. They have a very fast neck with great access to the higher frets.

What color?

There's only one color. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I recommend the Lite Ash Tele -- a Korean variant on the Tele. The SD pups are very sweet. I usually pop at P90 into the rhythm position of my project guitars (one of my Teles has one -- nice), but these SD alnicos in my Lite Ash sound sweet enough to leave as it. I have the clear finish (natural), and only mod so far is a graphite nut, and copper shielding under pickguard. also considering Wilkinson compensated brass barrel bridge saddles and tortoiseshell pickguard. have both, just need to do them.

Link: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511339

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's only one color.

Sorry, Wes, I beg to differ.....

Hmm, wonder why on earth I'd buy a white Telecaster?

And as you can see from that last photo, they come in green as well.....Frank Rossi must have about fifteen of those. He was using a brand new one on the last tour - he must buy them and get someone to age them about 20 years, but the new one wasn't aged underneath....

Same with Rick Parfitt's white Teles - he must have a few. Same thing - buy 'em new, get someone to sand down the top edge so's it's showing bare wood!

BTW, can anyone possibly shed any light on why Frank's green Teles always have a hole drilled through them? Below and behind the bridge, just above the tone knob? He's also the only person I've seen who has three p/u's on his tele, although I have heard other people have had an extra one fitted, sort of like a Strat configuration.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

ts.

What color?

There's only one color. :D

Ayup!

BLONDE, BAY-BEE! :lol:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well, I'm late as well.... Have to chime in though :P

Ya see, it's just not as simple as saying - I have one Strat, so I'll get a Tele.
Cos I have two Strats, and they don't sound anything alike.
Although, there IS such a thing as a definitive Strat 'sound'.

In my mind, Strats are the Female Fender guitar.... Not that they are FOR girls, they just have
what amounts to a feminine sound as compared to the Tele, which has a more Masculine sound.
Strats are transparent sounding and wavering, while Teles are solid!
They both 'twang'.
And if You've ever heard Jimi Hendrix live, then you know that Strats can be used for Hard Rock sounds,
tho I think Teles are far better sounding thru a Marshall than a Strat.
I prefer Strats nice and clean - American Tweed amps.

I agree with the Status Quo (for you Vic :wink: ) here, Teles are VERY versatile.
Country/Jazz/Oldies/Hard Rock/Blues/Slide - And they LOOK way cooler than a Strat (IMO).

I'd say that every aspiring electric guitarist should start with a Tele and go from there.
So If you don't have one - My short answer is: TELE

The Lite Ash that Greg mentioned is a nice guitar.... Those SD pups are AlNiCo II's!
Always been a fan of AlNiCo II pups.

I dunno.... I'd better not get into it :twisted:

Anyway - Here's my Ideal Perfect Tele:

Ash Body
White Blonde (Nitro Lac)
Stock Pup config
Three Brass Barrel Saddles
Single ply White pickguard
Vintage tuners
Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard (21 vintage frets)
CLAY DOT markers
Vintage tint on maple neck (Nitro Lac)
Tweed case

To me, THAT is a Tele.... if they made them any other way than that....
Well - That'd be like calling Jack Daniel's, Real Kentucky Bourbon :wink:

Happy Hunting,

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2