Clear all

Suggestions for a second guitar?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a very nice Highway One Fender Strat that I bought brand new, and I love it. It has a tremelo bridge though, which makes it very hard to take into alternate tunings. I would like to be able to leave my Strat in standard tuning (where it deserves to be, anyway), and get a cheaper, solid bridge guitar that I can easily move into different tunings without having to retune every string 5 or 6 times to get it right. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good solid bridge guitar?

Thanks!

(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My question is, "Why solid bridge?"

Since you own a Fender, I'd suggest a Gibson or Epiphone. Perhaps an SG or G400

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you've already got a Strat you're happy with, and want a solid bridge guitar for alternate tunings, I'd suggest there's only one guitar to choose - a Tele. Easy to adjust the action, sounds great in open D and G (ask Keith Richards if you don't believe me!) and you'll be fairly used to the feel of one having got the Strat. A few of us around here have Teles we keep in open G (Squier Tele in my case - it was my #1 guitar before I found my MIM Tele) and are perfectly happy with. One guy (stand up and be counted Roy!) has even removed the low E string for that authentic Keef look/feel/sound.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Epiphone G400, every time. Or an SG if you can afford it

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Too me they are more than just pretty. And the fact i love the tone is just an added bonus, nearly had to be dragged from GAK having first played a proper SG at the weekend.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

If you want single coils, I agree with Vic: get a Tele! :!: But if you're looking for a different type tone (e.g., humbuckers), check out a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom or Singlecut. IMO, they're well-built, and they sound and look great for a very reasonable price. Just make sure you remember the "SE" part or you'll flip out over the price. :shock:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Get a Tele!! :D

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Get a Les Paul Epi or Gibby if you can afford one. :P

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There are far too many differences among many good guitars to make a knowledgeable and valid recommendation about what's good for you -- except for your first requirement that the bridge be non-trem to accommodate on-the-spot alt tuning. Get yourself over to a music store and try above suggestions and others. Only you can decide what's right for you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the Tele, SG, PRS and LPs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I put one of those mini humbucker things on my Tele in the Neck position. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the leftover low E strings. :)

Musica, I played one of those PRS SE Single cuts last year when test driving amps. I didn't pay a ton of attention to it as I was focused elsewhere, but I do remember liking it very much.

rjnix, I think you'll be pleased with anything that was suggested. Personally, I am most fond of my Epi LP. I played a friends new LP copy for about 1/3rd of what I paid and liked it too. I think he's dropping it off next week for me to set up. Action was a touch high. I just practiced on my EPI SG and it came out REALLY well.

Speaking of EPI SGs, and this goes for Lps too, some people suggest that the no frill versions in the Gibson line are well worth the money. I know I've got like $100-$200 total in my Epi SG that I could have had in a Gibson Faded SG...and that one felt really nice. Had I known......

I'm rambling again. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I never knew that even 'solid bridges' exist. All that I wondered were about solid woods...

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

What kind of music will you be playing?
Alt tunings for bottleneck blues; or for things like drop D and metal/alt stuff????

For bottleneck - Rory Gallagher used a real pretty white Tele.
A Tele would be hard to beat for a 'second' guitar.

Hollow body electrics with P90's are another good choice for slide guitars.

If you're into heavy things though.... I really like the PRS SE choice that M-23 suggested 8)

Ken

ps - if you really like the Strat thing; they make a 'hardtail' version, sans trem with a string thru body design.
Don't know if it comes in a mid to low end version though.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I'm just gonna throw out Hagstrom-either a Swede model for LP style or one of their single coil models (I can't remember the name right now). I'm a big Hag fan after getting my Swede. For the price, I don't think they can be beat.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote