Clear all

Tele and Strat Overlap each other?

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As most of you know, I've collected quite the group of misfit guitars. I saw somebody, somewhere in maybe a review or something say that they already had a Tele, so no nead for a Strat. Is this a true statement, or an opinion shared by only some or even one guy? Does the Tele negate the need for a Strat. And I guess, visa-versa?

I am thinking of a Strat item. Xaviere, SX or Squire. Nothing too much. I've spent a ton already. I will say this, though, that the big fancy $1,500 Fende Deluxe plays and sounds like a dream. No need for it, though. Heck, no need for either of the $100-$2250 numbers either, but it's part of my fun.I think that today is order or go get day. That is, unless, the Tele and Strat are way to alike sonically. Personally, I don't hear it that way. No way do I hear it. I am curious if others hear it that way.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I vote they are different. Yeah, I traded my Tele but not cause I thought my Strat was the same. Sound aside, they feel completely different to play.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Well I have a Strat (squire) & a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so now I need a Tele to complete the set, oh and maybe I NEED an Epiphone Dot too. :D

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I have a Strat (squire) & a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so now I need a Tele to complete the set, oh and maybe I NEED an Epiphone Dot too. It's an endless cycle. Next year will be a resonator. Maybe a Talor T5. No, wait, that would break my less expensive guitar rule making the mini collection possible. :lol:
I vote they are different. Yeah, I traded my Tele but not cause I thought my Strat was the same. Sound aside, they feel completely different to play.
I picked up a Squire Affinity Strat last week and found it similar to play as my Affinity Tele. Sound different, though. At east that's what I thought I heard. Perhaps I am prorammed to hear that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy I think that was a post on here but I think he meant he didn't need one because he was able to get the sounds he needed out of the Tele. But the tone is definitely different but with pedals etc I'm sure you could make each sound good enough playing any kind of music.

It's more a matter of wanting than needing though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

CNEV, that's ringing a bell, and not just the normal ringing.

And yes, "want" and "need" are two entirely different terms that can become the same one so easidly in our consumer world. If I "needed" to do anything, it would be to stop wasting my time looking at guitar e-retail sites and play what I have already.

My wife said somethin that made sense, though. Despite what I'm going through, I'm keeping my sanity and this certainly helps. I guess a couple hundred bucks every 6 months ain't gonna kill us. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy it's your cash do with it what you want if you want 100 guitars go for it. I always have a personal guilt trip going on whenever I think of buying new equipment. Even though I can afford one now and then it still kind of tears at me to think I could have dropped the cash on something else. (think bills here)

But I think your wife is probably right. With everything that you've had to deal with and with not being able to ride much you do need an outlet and this one is as good as any and since your wife is OK with it your a lucky man go for it and enjoy!!

Getting back to the post though I think you would find the guitars without any effects would definitely have a different color to them even if the tone on first impression might be a bit similar.

My main goal was always to own an MIA Strat, a Gibson Les Paul standard and I thought I'd be set but I have recently started thinking a Tele might be one to dound it out. With those three guitars I won't need anything else EVER

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That guilt trip kills me. It's always better once the orer gets placed or in my case most of the time, I've gotten it in the store.

However, this time, it's an order. I pulled the trigger on the Xaviere line by Guitar Fetish. It had most of the upgrades that TR did to his SX, so I figured I should maybe give it a try. Besides, if I discover that the Xavieres are at least decent, there are some really interesting looking models that you just don't see every day.

I did try one of the LP custom copies out a few years back and it was pretty good. My friend has stopped playing guitar for various reasons, but said that it worked fine for him up until he didn't have it any more. (which probably has a really long story behind it that he'll tell me about when he's good and ready)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I bet there's a woman involved in that story

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

you betchya.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Actually it's probably a pretty short story...man ticks off girl..girl sells or smashes guitar...done...all pretty simple...HA

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This one is more like a 30 year story. Really bad.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

As most of you know, I've collected quite the group of misfit guitars. I saw somebody, somewhere in maybe a review or something say that they already had a Tele, so no nead for a Strat. Is this a true statement, or an opinion shared by only some or even one guy? Does the Tele negate the need for a Strat. And I guess, visa-versa?

A Tele and a Strat are entirely different animals. Pickup positions relative to the scale length are entirely different, which means you get a whole new set of overtones and harmonics to play with.

Then add the effect that the Strat's spring vibrato has on the timbre of your notes, and you get sounds that are impossible for a Tele to mimic. The metal base on most Tele bridge pickups leads to sounds that are impossible for a Strat to mimic.

Me, I find having both to be essential.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I think a Tele sounds different as well.

Just something about a good Tele sound I love...I really need to buy one LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Just something about a good Tele sound I love...I really need to buy one LOL.

I'm a confirmed Teleholic. For any other guitar model, just one is plenty. But I currently have FOUR teles, and have my eye on yet another, if I can ever sell Ampzilla.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2