Test your ear

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dunno if this has been posted before - this is a pretty cool and rather difficult test

Myself I did 75% - pretty much spot on average that is.

http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Lars

That was pretty cool I got an 80.6%.

That's a little better than I expected.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Scored 83.3%, most of the errors were at the end. Pretty tiresome test if you ask me, but fun nevertheless.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

^ :shock: :lol:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I noticed 60% was considered 'just below good' or something. If you can get four or so correct and randomly guess the rest your chances of scoring higher are not bad at all. The biggest challenge to me was not differtiating between the phrases but dealing with the constant changing of sounds. Espescially fun when they immediately start a string phrase with a harmonic hazy synth phraze...

I think if you just used on soundset in one key for the entire test the whole world would score atleast 90%.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I scored 77.8%. I may take it again, to see if I do better if I concentrate.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

80.6%.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Me too, 80.6% :D

That was a pretty tough test. Often the 2nd phrase would sound the same except for one note. It would be good to know the ones you miss.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

ok time for me to give up music

someone with out sound can get way more than me how pathetic am I ...

52.8% was my best score and I did it 3 times
{ won't say what the other 2 scores were }

Holds head in shame .......

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I do not really think that is a good test to determine whether you are tone deaf. If you can distinguish one note from another then you are not tone deaf. That was more a test of memory. I found short phrases very easy, long complicated phrases more difficult. I think you have to listen to the phrases as a whole, and not concentrate on individual notes. Often a phrase would sound identical except for one note, but I chose "the same". I really wanted to choose "different" though. I went on the forum at that site and saw where many people said #10 was different (the second note was different), but the test scored it as the same. So there are a few problems with that test as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

80.6 here.

ReplyQuote
 PenJ
(@penj)

yeah not really a good accessment tool for tone deafness....eh?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I didn't get much more (low 60s, 62% I think), and I think I've got a good ear for that sort of thing. I do however have an appalling short-term memory, appalling as in medical-condition bad (I can't get from one room to another with a 6 digit phone number in my head, even repeating it multiple times before and as I go :roll:).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

thanks guys

Still shakes his head my son came out here and scored 80 something he is 14 and has a musical head on his shoulders { he just won't apply himself } as he has a fret of failure ...

But thanks for at least makeing me see that this test really means nothing ......

My son now is telling me I suck ...its' true

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hilch: this is definitely more of a concetration test then anything else. I did this test a number of times under different circumstances which need not be specified. In those situations where my hearing should have been affected the results were pretty constant. In situations where the ability to focus and concentrate were diminished there was a huge performance drop, eventually to the same scores as people randomingly doing the test.

So don't worry about your hearing. You might, and this is none of my business really, want to evaluate your past few weeks. Having a poor ability to focus can be a signal you're starting to get overloaded by stuff. Remember that sometimes not trying so hard can yield better results. Just a tip that might be totally pointless in your case but you never know.

On a sidenote: this does go to show how complicated music is. All kind of factors affect how well you perform. I would be interested in finding out if doing these kind of memory/concentration related tasks would have any benefits in the long run.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2