Clear all

The Beauty of Our instrument

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It seems that this forum is gearing to the side of people showing off their equipment or trying really hard to learn techniques way further than their current level of ability.

Just thought i would bring the whole thing back down to the instrument. The guitar!

To be honest, it is a beautiful instrument.

Now it doesnt matter if you have a 10 grand guitar, or a tissue box and a loo roll tube with some elastic bands strapped over it (bit of an extreme example), its more or less the same thing.

I think the beauty of the guitar is that you can pick it up and play anything and just get lost in a parallel world. I find that when im playing, i lose control of my hands, and they just move, sometimes sounding awful, othertimes throwing out some stuff i didnt know i was capable of.

How about we use this thread to give praise to this marvelous instrument!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

agreed. my guitar has the ultimate patience with me. it puts up with my poor playing ,my sad and anguished moments where I pour my heart out in tearful buckets, and hangs in there when I joyously jump around and sing. my guitar gives me so much in return. it is always there waiting. it sings and cries with me. it is my best friend.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

agreed. my guitar has the ultimate patience with me. it puts up with my poor playing ,my sad and anguished moments where I pour my heart out in tearful buckets, and hangs in there when I joyously jump around and sing. my guitar gives me so much in return. it is always there waiting. it sings and cries with me. it is my best friend.

Hmmm. Mine is a more one-way relationship than that. Mine seems to give only what I put into it (or less). But my guitar has been an off-and-on fixture in my life and a comfort when needed. Not so much a friend as a safe place to retreat to.

More than 3 decades after purchase my $129 high school guitar still plays wonderfully and it continues to give me a place to try new challenges.

The quote that I like is "Music is what emotions sound like."
Works really well for guitar music. Even solo guitar music.
And for the violin.

I'm not so sure about solo piccolo music...... that's probably what insanity sounds like :-)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Guitar is a lot of different things to me. First, I always wanted to be in a band. When I was a kid, if you asked me what I wanted to be, I wouldn't have said fireman or policeman, I wanted to play in a band. I just thought that would be the ultimate profession. And though I've never made it big, and am not sure I would really want to, I absolutely love playing in local bands. When you are up there on stage and playing a big fat chord with just the right amount of overdrive, that is the best feeling in the world, better than any drug or alcohol could make you feel. Sometimes I can hardly believe these great sounds are coming from my own fingers. I love it.

Guitar is also a challange to me. I try to do everything I do to the best of my ability, and guitar is an instrument that you can never be good enough. I mean once you figure out Rubick's Cube, the fun is over, but you can always be better on guitar. I enjoy the challange. If guitar was easy it would bore me. It hasn't yet. :D

And guitar is like a friend to me. Through many ups and downs in life, I can still pull out my guitar every night and play. I still enjoy it as much as the first time I tried. I could never quit now after all the many thousands of hours of practice. It has been a great comfort to me.

That said, I love gear. I am always looking at guitars, amps, and pedals. I spend all my free money on gear. I know I don't need it, but it is lots of fun, and I am still looking for those perfect tones. I love learning about new equipment, sound is a very interesting science.

So, no way I can leave out buying gear. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Dear 'my ESP LTD',
Thanks for playing and sounding so nice...But you better be worth a bomb when your 30!
Simon.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It seems that this forum is gearing to the side of people showing off their equipment or trying really hard to learn techniques way further than their current level of ability.

roy thinks to self: "hey, he was looking right at me. I wonder what he means? I'm not the only one....he looked at me again. I'll show him. Current level of ability.....hah! I'll boil his nads in hot oil. Boy, it's hot in here. Look, a quarter...."

:lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

There is a post called Post Your Gear somewhere around. As for the beauty of it...I'm not sure if I have a real love affair with my guitar. I mean I like it and it feels pretty good in my hands but I'm willing to divorce it at a moments notice if a better one came by! :D

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

To put it simply, music has helped save my life on a few occasions, I believe. And picking up the guitar when I was young after my mom passed away was a safe escape. (I also used some unsafe escape methods, but that's another forum... :shock: )

When I play guitar, I disappear. It may be the only time I truly relax. For that reason, I feel that my guitar is one of my very best friends.

And, as Wes said, I also love buying gear. It's an escape in itself, but not a completely safe one! :( When I've posted gear on this site, it's not to "show off" in an egotistical way. It's to share with fellow guitar nuts what I am so grateful and lucky to have accumulated over the years. It's like showing a picture of a member of my family to someone who will likely appreciate it.

I'm proud of my guitars and such. More than that, I'm so appreciative to have such a wonderful outlet for my feelings whatever they may be.

:D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love my guitar. Atleast he doesn't hate me.

ReplyQuote