Clear all

The Best Guitar Tone, in Your Opinion

41 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just a thead to get people talking about guitar tones and sounds. I love metal and hard rock... but I can't shake the believe that Tom Scholtz's Boston harmonized guitar is simply the best sounding music I've every listended to. I love all different types of music, but when I hear a Boston song I just gravitate to the guitar tone. The songs may be played out and - depending on the tune - lame in some cases, but the tone of his guitar knocks me on my backside.

What about you? What tone knocks you into next Thursday?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

I'm partial to Slash's tone in both VR and GNR - can't beat a Les Paul and a Marshall IMO.

On the other hand - a nice bluesy Strat can't be beat.

Does this make me a schizophrenic? :shock: :roll:

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

The greatest tone ever has to be Peter Green in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. I just got the 2 CD extended edition and some of the fills and rhythms sound just as good as the leads. Sometimes I wish John Mayall would have just shut up and let Peter Green play. When he holds a note its the perfect sound and tone.

I don't know what the exact gear is on that record, I'm pretty sure he's playing his famous Les Paul but i'm not to sure of what amp he was using. I know when he was in Fleetwood Mac he played with an Orange brand amp. He probably just played through a Marshall like Clapton and everyone else did at that time.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Even though it's derivative (as is his playing style), I've always been partial to George Thorogood's tone. Something about overdriven P90s in a semi-hollow body ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

The greatest tone ever has to be Peter Green in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. I just got the 2 CD extended edition and some of the fills and rhythms sound just as good as the leads. Sometimes I wish John Mayall would have just shut up and let Peter Green play. When he holds a note its the perfect sound and tone.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Green had the best tone I've ever heard from any guitarist. The stuff from that Bluesbreakers album and some of the stuff from Fleetwood Mac just knock me out. Best. Tone. Ever. IMO.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Talking about tone ?

Really , what definition can be assigned to 'tone' ?

I love those tones which make me hear the song containing them , again and again.

Its a matter of mood.Yesterday i like Hendrix , today Green Day and tomorrow Pink Floyd.At the particular time , they really occur to me the best 'tone' ever possible.Yet , the next day i being to like another.(And this doesn't mean i like one artist's tone less than other.)

So saying the one tone is 'best' for me is like knocking off the other great artists.IMHO

YMMV

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

That Boston tone really is great, for sure. Someone mentioned Slash, his tone is incredible as well.

Recently I've been enamored with John Petrucci's tone, especially on his solo album.

Funny thing is, I'm about a year and a half in to this guitar thing and I'm finally getting a feel for the type of sound I want. If I'm working on some solos, I almost always put my Vox amp onto the UK Modern model (I think that's a modern Marshall simulation), crank up the gain, and add in some delay....YUMMY!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@se7en)
Eminent Member

For me it would be Pink Floyd , Led Zeppelin and RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The Dali Lima wrote: I can't shake the believe that Tom Scholtz's Boston harmonized guitar is simply the best sounding music I've every listended to
I'm with the Dali in thinking that Scholz's tone is standout extremely awesome blissful. One of the best, IMO.

But I'm with Rahul in that I can't very well use the word "best" alone, because it is such a total, final pronouncement.

But then I can't even name my favorite food, because even as good as dark chocolate is, I wouldn't like it for long if I had nothing else to eat. Somehow, "best" is too exclusionary for me.

When the music is right for the moment it makes me swoon, and is the absolute "best", the ultimate, but I know that it is not a forever state.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I can look at this from several aspects. I might approach this from an internal perspective.

I might even go so far as to rephrase the question to suit my answer.

What guitarist has the most definitive sound and is easily recognized AND leaves you wanting more? Ummmm, Tom Sholz. :wink: He, too, trips my trigger and if I ever want to play any cover it would be to emulate Tom as close as possible. I'm with Dali.

Margaret makes a great point about the mood. Been there many times. But I'll never tire of Boston. As a matter of fact I'm listening to "I Need Your Love" from their album, "Walk On". I think that's got to be my most favorite song of all besides every other song they've written. :oops:

Good Question, DL!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

What guitarist has the most definitive sound and is easily recognized AND leaves you wanting more?

For me:

1st: David Gilmour always and forever.
2nd: Robert Smith - The Cure
3rd: Jimmy Page

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think in terms of particular songs -- and they will often be by the same player. Some are:

Funk 49, Turn to Stone, Life in the Fast Lane - Joe Walsh
Sultans of Swing - Knopfler
Albatros - Peter Green
Midnight at the Oasis - Amos Garrett
La Grange - Billy Gibbons
Space for Papa, Angel, Declan. Goodbye Porkpie Hat, Blue Wind, What Mama Said, Freeway Jam - Jeff Beck
Reelin' in the Years, Bodhisattva, My Old School - All those great Steel Dan session guys

too many more ....

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

What guitarist has the most definitive sound and is easily recognized AND leaves you wanting more?

For me:

1st: David Gilmour always and forever.
2nd: Robert Smith - The Cure
3rd: Jimmy Page

I totally agree with the first two, and I love both of those musicians. I'm not a Page fan though. Both Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, of Pearl Jam, have definitive sound in my mind, maybe because I listen to so much of their music. Adam Jones from Tool too.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Good post :D Lets see...
Roy Buchanan.."Hey Joe"
Blind Faith.. "In the Presence of the Lord"
Any thing BB King did :D
Deep Purple "Lazy", "Burn" and "Smoke on the water"
Most anything that Junior Brown does.." Guit steel Blues" for example 8)
George Harision.."My sweet lord" "All things must Pass"
ZZ Top..Most any thing they did :D including "Apologies to Pearly" Hi Fi Mama" "Sure Got Cold After the Rain"
So much tone...so little time----the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

But I'm with Rahul in that I can't very well use the word "best" alone, because it is such a total, final pronouncement.

But then I can't even name my favorite food, because even as good as dark chocolate is, I wouldn't like it for long if I had nothing else to eat. Somehow, "best" is too exclusionary for me.

When the music is right for the moment it makes me swoon, and is the absolute "best", the ultimate, but I know that it is not a forever state.

Margaret
Me too. I can't think of any song where I love the tone but don't like the music it's being used to create - the two are too linked to me... but if you don't mind a bit of musical taste thrown in, a few I can think of that really make me sit up and listen are the solos to Duff McKagan's Man in the Meadow (Slash plays it), GnR's Estranged and November Rain (The ending especially, you know, the bit that all the music channels cut out :roll:), Al Stewart's Year of the Cat* and Valentino Way and the riffing to Blind Melon's No Rain.

*In fact, this one annoys me when it builds up tension with the fantastic guitar tone, pauses, gets you just waiting for the wail to come back and then... finishes with a saxophone. Grrr! Don't get me wrong, I quite like the sax (in moderation), but sheesh, not there! :evil:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3