Notifications
Clear all

The Best Guitar Tone, in Your Opinion

41 Posts
35 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Well some people have broken it up by song and some by style I'll break it down by part, and these are my personal faves not the best

Rhythm- Keith Richards, just love that crunch he gets especially on open tunings

Lead- Hubert Sumlin

Slide- George Harrison

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hendrix, bb, morello
sometimes i don't like hendrix's tones, probably due to the limited tech of the time, but a lot of the time, it just cuts through everything else. i once turned on a radio station and heard -two- notes and thought, "someone sounds just like hendrix!" and then as the notes came pouring out, i began to realize it was a live recording of red house. noone else is that recognizeable. the other two are close, though.
i'd say robert johnson's slide, and some of his licks, also.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, Gilmour has a great tone definitly...

Brian May's tone is soo smooth and warm, especially in Killer Queen.

Clapton's live tone is pretty sweet, with the mid-gain boost he's got in his guitar.

Love Townshend's tone too, defined the Who.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Weird but true: my own. Noone's taste comes as close to mine as my own taste does. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@phingerboard)
Trusted Member

One guy hits it for me on just one of his recordings:

"Memory Pain" on Johnny Winter's "Second Winter"

Best Guitar Sites | Guitar Players Lick Better

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I love the tone Angus and Malcolm Young use. Guitar straight into a cranked Marshall amp.

Similar, I loved Clapton in his Cream days, and the tone Paul Kossloff with Free used knocks me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtdEYUTvv8E

I love Billy Gibbons tone too.

But I like clean tones too. I love the guitar on Wicked Game by Chris Issak, not sure who the guitarist is. But that clean Strat with heavy reverb and tremelo bar is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsaAUm9U8qg

Not a big fan of tones with lots of effects.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I love the guitar on Wicked Game by Chris Issak, not sure who the guitarist is.
I thought I knew this one... but I had to turn to Google in the end :)

James Calvin Wilsey, apparently, but that's not a name I know.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I love playing my Squier Tele through a 15 watt Roland Cube amp - I seem to get the perfect lead tone that way (for MY songs), even though I'm not much of a lead player - funny thing is, riffs sound pretty good played through the "metal stack" setting as well.....with an acoustic as second guitar....

but that SG/Marshall sound - Sweet Child Of Mine is such a great sounding lead part, have you ever noticed how similar the intro to "Poison" by Alice Cooper sounds to it?

But for purity of tone, have a listen to "Parisienne Walkways" by Gary Moore - it's a sad, nostalgic song anyway but I swear GM makes that guitar shed tears......

Carlos Santana is another guitarist who seems to wring pure emotion out of the neck of his guitar.......correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a Les Paul guy as well?

But there's one guy, doesn't matter if he uses an SG, Tele, Les Paul or some weird concoction from science-fiction with three necks....Jimmy Page can always fit the guitar to the song, whether it's acoustic or electric, he is the absolute master of tone....and that's my opinion, you may of course feel perfectly free to disagree.......

Even though you'd be wrong.........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My vote's for Noodles and Britt Black.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Carlos Santana is another guitarist who seems to wring pure emotion out of the neck of his guitar.......correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he a Les Paul guy as well?

He used a Les Paul a lot during his early years, but has mostly been using a PRS for a long time now. He still uses Gibsons as well from time to time, but I haven't seen him use a Les Paul much anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

im a fan of a nice Strat run through a saturated tube amp. maybe add a slight slapback echo.

also, i prefer using the neck pickup for this.

that's my opinion on the best electric guitar tone

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3