Clear all

The charms of an acoustic . . .

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

. . . after 6 months of owning a quality acoustic guitar, I just thought I'd reflect my thoughts relative to their electric cousins.

The acoustic guitar, a simple yet complex instrument . . . on the one hand there are 6 strings, 20-ish frets, a few tuners and some wood, but on the other hand there is some very clever engineering to hold together all the immense tension from those strings and still retain the ability to make that magical sound.
While I do not for a moment doubt the emotive abilities of the electric guitar in the right hands, there is something far more soulful about the unique nature of the acoustic guitar. Maybe it's the smell of the spruce, the ring of the chords, the pattern of the wood, but there's definately something extra there which, to me at least, electric guitars seem to lack. Maybe it's because acoustic guitars make you work to achieve the results you aim for, amplifying every mistake . . . but by the same token when you find the sound you want, they amplify it with warmth and pure undistorted clarity.
Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing, but to me the acoustic guitar is something special.:)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I completely agree! Acoustic is my favorite! Since I quit playing in bands, I hardly pick up my electrics anymore. In fact, I'm considering selling them along with my amps. I much prefer the sound of an acoustic over an electric.

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Seems to me that an acoustic is complete (enough) to itself and it's about the player.
Electric needs a band and for some folks it's also about the effects pedals.

I was GASsing for an electric for awhile but got distracted by excellent acoustic material.

(currently working on Chet Atkin's instrumental version of VINCENT)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Funny, I was having similar thoughts the other day, about liking acoustic guitar more than electric.

Then I picked up my electric bass and realized I like that more than anything else ...
8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd disagree that an electric requires a band. Acoustics are great fun, though!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

acoustic guitars have always been my go to instrument. just pick it up and play. the simplicity ends there however. the complexity of the build is almost magical.
one thing I find most interesting....my acoustics cost hundreds more than any of my electrics.
oh, one more thing. I wish I was built differently. why are my ears way up on the sides of my head and the acoustic sound hole (where all the gorgeous sounds comes out) is facing away from me??? my ears should have telescoping arms so I could place them in front of the sound hole.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sit in a chair facing into a corner and you can hear it better. I always loved to hear my teacher play my reso, because I never got to hear it that way when i was playing it.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Sit in a chair facing into a corner and you can hear it better. I always loved to hear my teacher play my reso, because I never got to hear it that way when i was playing it.

I like playing it face up on my lap with a glass slide. whoa....sweet notes and tones.
the decaying sustain on a good acousitc is almost better than my lover's cooing.
nope. better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

The acoustic guitar was my first instrument. Since then I've picked up electric guitar and electric bass with a touch of keys along the way.

I have a very nice acoustic guitar and just spend nearly a grand upgrading my electric rig. I love my electric guitar and the acoustic but I find myself playing the acoustic much more often...because that's the instrument that takes love.

Every song or line I learn, I usually learn on the acoustic first regardless of how wrong it sounds. As an example, I'm attempting to learn the song Nothing Too Fancy by Umphrey's McGee. It's a very progressive, aggressive guitar tune with lots of bends and fast picking. It sound HORRID on an acoustic, period. But I'm still learning it that way because with the acoustic you learn the touch, you learn feel and you learn exactly what you're screwing up in your playing.

Plus, the acoustic can be that "I've got 30 min to watch tv and play" instrument. A lot easier to grab the guitar and play than grab it, plug it in, let the tubes warm up, get all the volume and tone set, then play. Eh, my opinion though.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

acoustic guitars are where its at man.

I play electric live, but i also learn everything on acoustic first. I'm not big on pedals and like to use my touch to change dynamics, acoustics give you complete dynamic and emotional range, so where as an electric is literally a bunch of electricity making a speaker vibrate, acoustic guitar resonates into the soul.

a bit hippyish i know but i just LOVE acoustic.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A few years back when Gibson was pushing their Pete Townshend Limited Edition SJ-200, they had some quotes from Pete to the effect that he'd written all of his music using his jumbo Gibby, and that he'd sooner cut off his right arm than smash that guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

a bit hippyish i know but i just LOVE acoustic.

Nothing wrong with being a bit "hippyish", said the hippie chick! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

. . . there's definately something extra there which, to me at least, electric guitars seem to lack. Maybe it's because acoustic guitars make you work to achieve the results you aim for, amplifying every mistake . . . but by the same token when you find the sound you want, they amplify it with warmth and pure undistorted clarity.

LOL - It seems that you've never played a properly set-up Fender Stratocaster then! :wink:
The above would apply perfectly to one.

Though, I do love an acoustic guitar.
I really dig singer/songwriter types, and I think every rock band should have one!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't touch my electrics much at all. I'm all the time playing acoustic. More often that not, if I'm not alseep or to occupied with something else, I'm probably playing one of my acoustics. I don't really have the urge to play electrics, and I never really did. I could walk into 15 different guitar stores, try out a bunch of acoustics and never even make my way over to the electrics.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Indeed. The fact that I've never taken my ex-wife on a business trip but have ALWAYS taken my acoustic says it all for me!! LOL. I recently purchased a Taylor 414ce and have not been able to put it down. I will often play a single note and then hold the guitar up to my ear just to hear the sound resonate inside the guitar. It's amazing how long you can hear the note and the tone.

I play the acoustic every night. Will pick up my electric once a month.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2