Notifications
Clear all

The charms of an acoustic . . .

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Indeed. The fact that I've never taken my ex-wife on a business trip but have ALWAYS taken my acoustic says it all for me!! LOL.

I think it would be weird if you took your ex-wife on a business trip, I don't want to take mine anywhere. Oh, you meant when you were married :)

On acoustics, like a lot of people my first guitar, well first guitar in this decade's attempt to play*, was an acoustic. After I got my first electric I rarely played the acoustic and it sat lonely in the corner collecting dust. About 4 or 5 months ago, I started picking it up again and had forgotten how much I liked playing it. Since then, it gets played at least a few times a week.

*I'm not counting my first guitar, which my parents bought me when I was 15 and all I learned was from a friend who showed me the intro to "Dream On" by Aerosmith and "Nobody's Fool" by Cinderella. It got sold a couple years later. 12 years later, I bought my acoustic, learned a few chords, put it in storage for a couple years, then finally something clicked and I actually started playing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@desinet1)

A true guitar lover always vouch for an Acoustic.

Vintage Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I also think of my acoustic 12er as a seperate category from acoustic and electric, as it's easily distinct enough from an acoustic 6 to warrant it, IMHO. Short term I go through phases (acoustic 12 at the mo). Long term I love 'em all, completely differently, but absolutely equally. What can I say? Apples and oranges, albiet with some overlap :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

I love my shiny new electric and don't regret buying it, but I do kind of wish I'd bought a new acoustic instead. I just have trouble getting myself to stand or sit for hours playing the electric like I can with an acoustic. Acoustic is just so much simpler, sounds better unaccompanied, and there's something nice about coaxing such great sound out of such a simple instrument... Plus, if I learn something on acoustic it takes me just a few minutes to transition to playing it on electric, but you can't say the same about the reverse!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Plus, if I learn something on acoustic it takes me just a few minutes to transition to playing it on electric, but you can't say the same about the reverse!

Exactly! That's why I always suggest that beginners learn on an acoustic. Once it's mastered on an acoustic, it's mastered on acoustic and electric. But, if it's mastered on electric, it's not necessarily mastered on acoustic.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would agree an acoustic has a very soothing sound and is great for the singer/songwriter type so I could see how all of you would like them, the big bonus to me is that you can bring it anywhere nd play it.

But I never got comfortable with the feel of an acoustic they always seemed to big and awkward for me, plus I don't sing or play many strummy type stuff so I never owned one.

I think they do look great though but to me an electric is more were I'm at. And I do think in the right hands an electric on it's own sounds great.

I'm sure I will own one someday before I die maybe if I spent more time with one I'd find what you'll been discribing. But right now I'm more along the lines of citizenNoir.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2