Clear all

The Evil of Guitar Hero

23 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

By reading the title I'm sure you're expecting a rant about how much Guitar Hero hurts music. Well, you're absolutely right! Now because of it I like some bands that I've never heard of and others that are outside my comfort zone that I would've never thought of listening to. My MP3 player can only hold so many songs you know.

Some of the songs that are in the rock/metal genre that I pleasantly surprised with are:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice
Lost Prophets - Rooftops (A liberation broadcast)
Tool - Parabola
Tool - Schism
Tokio Hotel - Monsoon
Rise Against - Re-education through Labor
Black Label Society - Stillborn
Filter - Hey Man Nice Shot
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

Some songs OUTSIDE my comfort zone that I ended up liking are:

Fleetwood Mac - Go your own way
Steely Dan - Do It Again
The Eagles - Hotel California
Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklin
Sting - Demolition Man(Live)
R.E.M. - The One I Love
Los Lobos - La Bamba
Wings - Band on the run
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold

Honorable Mention:

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze(Live)*

If I had to pick the one that blew me away the most out of the second list, I'd go with Ted Nugent. I've never heard his stuff before but between Stranglehold, and the guitar duel song he wrote from the game I was blown away. For a guy that doesn't play the ripping distortion I'm used to, his sound has a lot of attitude!

I recommend the game and checking out any songs mentioned her.

*Like the tone and the "kiss that guy reference." Still doesn't like the album version.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Guitar Hero & Rock Band have turned me on to some songs as well.

Stranglehold is a classic! I've been into "Uncle Ted" since the '70's. Still remember the day I got "Cat Scratch Fever". 8)

If you ever have a chance to see him live, don't miss it. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Do you ever get confused trying to fret songs you know how to play? Or are you able to consider the GH guitar a different instrument? Just curious, I don't play it myself.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

aww, it's not so bad... At least you don't have a wolf tempting you into repeated Steely Dan listenings....I can't get them off my iPod now!!!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There are a few people who've joined this site over the past 12 months or so who said they only picked up a guitar because they'd played Guitar Hero; that's got to be a good thing!

I tried it one night round at my daughter's - can't say it did anything for me, that tiny guitar felt like a mandolin in my hands. But the upside of it is, my daughter wants to learn - I showed her some chords and bought her a guitar about 12 years ago, but she lost interest before the callouses got a chance to form! She's got to pay for her holiday over the next couple of weeks - after that, she wants me to go with her and pick out a decent acoustic.

She actually paid me a nice back-handed compliment one night - said she'd been playing some of my songs for her friends, and they went down pretty well, and then added, "I never thought you'd get to be so good, Dad, just shows it CAN be done!" Fortunately we share the same slightly warped sense of humour and understand each other pretty well!

Oh, and she's also taken to calling round a couple of times a week looking to borrow CDs - rock CDs, rather than the chart and dance music she usually listens to....that's got to be a good thing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm not surprised that you like No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn. It's got a catchy power-chord riff.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Lot of those songs are on my play list ... I mean on the guitar. Me and Thunderfingers are working Stranglehold and we have always doen Purple Haze. My old band did the REM song. I think I got a recording of that. Anybody wanna hear it? Oh, and I love Steeley Dan. I need to get some though. Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is an awsome guitarist.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Steely Dan has used only the best guitar slingers for all those uber-tasty solos. Becker had to bring up his game to play a lot of others studio creations while he and Fagen toured. and he deserves credit for a number of the original solos too, of course.

Skunk Baxter ended up becoming a defense consultant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_%22Skunk%22_Baxter

GS/OWA: Ted Nugent may not play as distorted as your usual choices, but he is known as one of the absolute loudest in concert acts in the biz. PETA was pissed off with him at one point because he claimed a bird flying in front of a speaker cab during a concert was 'disintegrated.' total BS, as it's well known among his followers that Ted only kills what he will eat -- and only Ozzy dines on concert kill.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Do you ever get confused trying to fret songs you know how to play? Or are you able to consider the GH guitar a different instrument?

For me it's kind of both. Knowing the song really helps in the timing as you don't really have to know when to hit the bar, you just do it when it feels right and it generally is, plus your fingers are pretty nimble from playing the guitar already. I did find that it's a great game for strengthening that pinky.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Skunk Baxter ended up becoming a defense consultant...

clip from Wiki:
[Currently, Baxter] also occasionally plays in The Coalition of the Willing, a band comprising Andras Simonyi, Hungarian Ambassador to the United States; Alexander Vershbow, US Ambassador to South Korea; Daniel B. Poneman, formerly of the United States National Security Council and now of The Scowcroft Group; and Lincoln Bloomfield, former United States Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs. On June 19, 2007, Baxter jammed with former White House Press Secretary Tony Snow's band Beats Workin at the Congressional Picnic held on the South Lawn of the White House.

Now those are interesting gigs!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not surprised that you like No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn. It's got a catchy power-chord riff.

It did frustrate me to no end trying to sing it though. It's all spoken lyrics so pitch doesn't matter. You'd think that would make it easy but apparently I can't rap to save my life. I did kill the Tool songs though!

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Rock Band is the reason I started playing guitar last year, and everytime I felt down I picked up the Rockband guitar xD and played every song in expert, then came back to my guitar, and now I can play some of those songs I used to play ( Paranoid is easier in real life than in rockband, and Blink 182's Damnit is pretty easy in rl life too ) but yeah :D

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I bought a real guitar after playing Guitar Hero for a couple of months. Now I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I'm kind of bored of the video games... Except the drums on Rock Band, those are fun.

I'm glad to see kids getting excited about guitar again, even if they start with a silly video game. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My kids found that the Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments will also work as controllers in battle games. :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

My kids found that the Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments will also work as controllers in battle games. :mrgreen:

They can also be used to make real music, with a bit of effort.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2