Clear all

The hub-bub over Schecter

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As many of you know, I'm GASSING and .ooking around for mid-priced guitars. A few of you have mentioned Schecter guitars as a good option. I went to their website recently and took a look at their offerings. The site has suggested retail pricing - and I know it never sells for the price listed - but Wow! The Schecter's are pretty expensive considering some of their competition. A new C-1+ retails for over $550, and some of their other models are in the $699 range. Why?

You can buy a Gibson Flying V or SG for $550 - 650. You can get an American Strat for $700. With both of those instrument lines you get high-quality components (USA pickups, etc)...

I owned a Schecter SH1 a few years back and it was a decent enough guitar (overall it felt "plasticky" with the thick finish and plastic binding) but I got it for $300. What do some of you others think?

My favorite two Schecters are the S-1 Elite:

and the C-1 Elite:

Neither have real Duncan pickups, and cost $600 even online. I'm a bit stumped by this.

Let me know what you think... I'm just a guy trying to find his way through an ENORMOUS sea of freakin' guitars. I can't believe how many are avaiable at the $350 - $600 price point!!!!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Seems like a matter of personal taste, Dali. I have picked up and tested several Schecter guitars while at GC, and none of them ever wowed me. They just didn't feel right for me. But, I hear many players saying good things about them, so they must work for somebody! For the guitars I looked at, I thought the price was okay or a little high.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I have an S-1 Elite and I LOVE it.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I bought this Schecter 12 string in December and I love it -- good action and great tone. If this guitar is any indication, their products are well-crafted.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Schecter C = Ibanez SZ = Cort KX. You can get the Cort on ebay for a few hundred less ... but it's a Cort, LOL.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I did my research before owning any quality guitars.

My first "expensive purchase" was the C1+. It wasn't too over done appearance wise but had a great feel and great tone (including coil tap). It was the best value I found in that price range ($550 USD).

With the through neck construction and dual pups, it was perfect for me. Had I not found a high end PRS that stole my heart I would probably still have it. That and the constant nagging from Nick, to ship it to him. :twisted: ( Just kidding, Nick. :wink: )

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think you may be outdated when it comes to prices. Fender went up. a new American is 900plus.
the Gibson Flying V's should have lowered prices becAuse they are made terribly.
Schrecter has gone up because of the quality they are putting into the guitars. possibly to fill the price range left by Fender and Gibson.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I think you may be outdated when it comes to prices. Fender went up. a new American is 900plus.
the Gibson Flying V's should have lowered prices becAuse they are made terribly.
Schrecter has gone up because of the quality they are putting into the guitars. possibly to fill the price range left by Fender and Gibson.

what he said... :wink: J/K! I really like my Schecter. it looks and plays really nice.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't think so... The Gibson Faded SG is $579 and the Flying V is also $579.

The USA Fender Highway 1 series is $749 and the Tele is $840.

I'm not saying they are not decent guitars, I'm just wondering why they are priced where they are. You can get a standard Mexican Stratocaster or Telecaster for $400,but you can't get a Schecter for that price.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I paid $599 for my Schecter S1.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't think so... The Gibson Faded SG is $579 and the Flying V is also $579.

The USA Fender Highway 1 series is $749 and the Tele is $840.

I'm not saying they are not decent guitars, I'm just wondering why they are priced where they are. You can get a standard Mexican Stratocaster or Telecaster for $400,but you can't get a Schecter for that price.

the Hwy 1 is not a top of the line Fender. it is priced right. I have the Hwy1 tele,. nice guitars for the $$.
SG Faded is also not Gibsons top line.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know those are the entry-level for those manufacturers. What I said was that you get high-quality components with those guitars, not imported pickups, etc... that's all.

Anyway... not trying to diss the guitar, I think they are fine, I was just curious as to the price. Others have mentioned that they love their Schecter's, but no one seems to mention the others in that price category - like the Jackson, Ibanez, or ESP guitars.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You know I don't ever really pay for a guitar by examining the value of the components. I mean I like to know what is in the guitar, but to me it's more about feel. I'm not knocking anyone or saying you shouldn't try to figure out why some guitars cost more than others. This may be because of my acoustic background.

But to answer your question about the Schecters in general, they pay great attention to detail, the finish is flawless, the workmanship is top notch and they are easy to play. I don't know how they compare to other guitars in the range, my only two other electrics are a 69 Gibson SG and a 79 Fender USA HM strat,(in lovely sea foam green). Oh wait, I do have a Hello Kitty Squier and one of those $99 jobs that everyone was buying. It does play better than either of those.

The Schecters I've played feel like they are worth what I paid. I have the C-1+ and the C-1EA. I bought both used and they were both excellent deals.

The C-1+ is for all intents and purposes mint. You could search the forums to see what I paid, I don't remember. But if Bish ever puts anything else up for sale, and he says it's pristine....believe him. He takes great care of his guitars.

The C-1EA I picked up from a guy selling on Craigslist for $300 with the case. It's a fantastic guitar for that kind of money.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

But if Bish ever puts anything else up for sale, and he says it's pristine....believe him. He takes great care of his guitars.

Thank you, Nick. That's very cool of you to say that. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2