Clear all

The new "We Are the World"

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone else thing this is an embarrassment?

I took a listen/watch for the first time today, and it just left a bad taste for me. It seemed that the people there, while all volunteers seemed to be doing this for their ego's and a "Hey look at me, I'm doing something good" type of thing.

I mean, did they have to use Auto Tune? Did they have to add rap verses? Did they have to include Michael Jackson (I know he co-wrote it)?

In my opinion they should have just created a new song if they were going to change everything. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but wow, not what I expected.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I agree 100%.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Borrowing from the discussion at the end of the Who/Super Bowl thread, seeing Michael Jackson made me think that anything's possible for next year's half-time show! :lol:

:twisted:

Oh, yes, +1 to everything you said.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

there should have been an instrumental version. rappers can't sing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Mmmm... I like it... :roll:

I remember perfectly the first time I watch the original video 25 years ago. I remember I said the name of each singer when they appeared and I enjoyed a lot. I said sentences like "Hey, he is [name-here]! And also [other-name-here]!".

Unfortunately I only can name a few musicians that appear in the new version but I like the result. I like the rap verses as well. I like the effects that they use. Music is always evolving.

I'd prefer if they do not include the Michel Jackson part but it also can be considered as a kind of tribute or perhaps it is part of the business.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Joe, I agree completely with everything you said. And I didn't know who most of the people were and thought that maybe they were all well known. I attributed that to my advanced age, so I could have lived with it..

Then it got to the rap and the Michael Jackson parts. Rap just doesn't do anything for me. Neither does putting a video of a dead singer in with live people trying to raise money for victims of a recent disaster.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I did know who every artist was in the video, and I just didn't like it.

Music is ever evolving, I agree, but with this, they should have left it alone and went to a new song IMHO.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote