Clear all

The perfect song....

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

....hasn't been written yet. So, what does it need?

1 - A great intro...to catch your attention.

2 - A great opening lyric line, to pin back your ears and make you take notice.

3 - A great riff. Whether it comes in from the very start of the song, and helps propel the intro along, or whether it comes in at the start of the first verse...file this one down as optional.

4 - A lyric everyone can relate to. Doesn't have to be about the latest hot topic... although a lot of timeless classics have been written about the events of the time...
but it does have to make the listener think, "yeah, been there, done that!" or "Yeah, I'd LOVE to do that!"

5 - Structure. The song has to build from the opening line AND expand on the theme already created...which leads us into point 6.

6 - The Bridge. Some songs don't have bridges...verse, chorus, verse, chorus etc, with the chorus repeated over and over...sometimes with a change of key...till the fade-out. Bridges are important..they tie the first two verses together, and set the scene for the third (probably the FINAL) verse.

7 - The last verse. Summary of what's gone before, lead-in to what may happen tomorrow.

8 - outro. Just ad lib it....whatever's in your head.

9 - most important point of all. go back, revise, edit....till you're satisfied.

10 - Then ask yourself, "how can I make this song better?"

11 - go back to #1.....

Just a few thoughts I had, hope they might help any aspiring songwriters.... and if you are a frustrated songwriter, why don't you drop in at the Sunday Songwriters Group for inspiration? We have a new topic every week.....and we'll treat you gently. Postyour lyrics, we'll tell you what we like and suggest positive changes...you'll never be flamed in the SSG!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure that the same song can be perfect for everyone but if I were to pick the most perfect song for me I would choose " Highway Star " by Deep Purple .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I have to agree with everything that you said, Vic. I would add one more: Unless you're writing for a musical, keep the lyrics conversational. Maybe that's part of a lyric that everyone can relate to.

It all sounds so straightforward. But the perfect song is rare. And a lot of songs that become popular are far from perfect.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The perfect guitar tone:

Listen to "Monkey", by Robert Plant, on the Band of Joy album - it gets my vote.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote