Skip to content
The Sword - Anyone ...

Notifications
Clear all

The Sword - Anyone heard this "new metal" band?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm not too into "heavy metal" - in fact, I've owned very few albums in that genre:

Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Heaven & Hell
Judas Priest's British Steel
Metallica's Metallica (aka "The Black Album")
Tool's Aenima (arguably not metal, but close enough.)

But I read about The Sword in Guitar Player mag, and sampled their debut album Age of Winters on iTunes. I ended up downloading the whole album, and I can't stop listening to it! It's just one Sabbath-style riff in drop-C after another, with Ozzy-inspired vocals and Tolkien-derived lyrics to match, but it all sounds amazingly fresh. I really like that they seem more melodic than most metal bands I've heard. They really get me going during my 45-minute commute to work each day.

Anyone else listen to them?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

DV8
(@dv8)

I just saw thier video last night on Uranium on Fuse. They seem to rock alright, but my wife was cracking up because there was the guitarist who looks more like he would program a computer than rock your socks of. Then both of us were blown away when after that video they played God Forbids video for "Fallen Heros (I think thats the name)". She really liked them, but then some heavier stuff played after that and that was a little much for her.

That's OK I got her from listening to nothing but lillith fair type stuff to Avenged Sevenfolds album over and over this week :shock: . She also has addmited to me that long ago a boyfriend of hers tried to get her into Rob Zombie and she hatted them, but I broke her and now she is in love with his music.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

"Hamer", I saw a review of The Sword in my recent Guitar One magazine. I guess they are considered the "next" Black Sabbath.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

The Sword and Age of Winters? Hahahahahaha.

Looks like the D & D geeks have finally picked up a guitar.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Nope, have not heard them. But if they are being compared to Sabbath, then I suppose I'd best give them a spin!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The Sword and Age of Winters? Hahahahahaha.

Looks like the D & D geeks have finally picked up a guitar.

Did you see the other band names? Priestess was one of them. Nothing gets you ready to rock quite like... Priest ess...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL, always funny to see old threads suddenly snap to life.

I imagine Wes would hate them - like Tool (in extreme), their stuff is just one long song - same key, repetitive (stolen) riffs, over and over. (I say that half-jokingly, in case you're wondering.)

But it's such fun! I mean, how can you not like an 8 minute song titled "Lament for the Aurochs"?!?!?! Sure beats the heck out of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida or whatever that POS was called.

Purely mindless entertainment, folks. Let the 10-sided D&D dice roll!

P.S. Anyone listening to Wolfmother?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

i'm really diggin the simple riffs "The Sword" is layin down, yummy chops!

Wolfmother is good too, doesnt get the blood flowin like the sword but some of their acoustic stuff is very zepplinesque.

Like Black Sabbath realized, keep it simple stupid. no reference to KISS intended

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote