0 Likes
18 K Views
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This from Sky News:

"Eminem Torture Tactic
Updated: 11:03, Tuesday December 20, 2005

Rapper Eminem's songs have been used by the US to torture detainees, it has been claimed.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) claims America operated a secret prison near Afghanistan last year.

And it says music by Eminem and Dr Dre was used to make detainees suffer.

The group, in a report, quotes an Ethiopia-born prisoner who says he was kept in a pitch-black prison and forced to listen to their music for 20 days."

20 days????? I couldn't put up with 20 minutes!!!!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Moderators (Greybeard!) -- Please move this to Opinions & Polls, where once again the rap debate can rage ....

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

thanks -- feels much better over here :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i like the basslines in rap

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i like the beats and lyrical rhythms

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Frankly, I think some of the most original lyric writting is happening in the rap arena these days.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Frankly, I think some of the most original lyric writting is happening in the rap arena these days.

name some "artists" please because from what I've heard from recent ones, they are not original IMO. I think that old rap (early 90's) was pretty good, lyrically creative, and it was about something. These days, the first album by a rapper is about how ghetto they are, and the second is about how rich they are :? All rap songs contain a lot of the same/similar words and you won't really find a whole lot of creativity IMO.
I think the best example of creative lyrics by a rap group is Gangstarr (their best song being moment of truth), and they haven't made anything new for like 8 years. NWA is an example of a rap group standing for something, and furthermore, I liked their sound. Now, about rap music these days...I think it's the most horrible thing I've ever heard. I've never seen such a pathetic attempt to be equally as cool as everyone else by copying them, or to become cooler by doing ridiculous things (and I mean ridiculous...think R kelly at 2005 MMA's...hell, think the 2005 MMA's as a whole.) or by showcasing how much money you have (I'm ridin' spinaz by 3-6 mafia? That passes as a song these days?! It's a song so bad it actually makes me laugh.)
I could keep going but really I think you get the point. I don't like rap.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I know I'll get flames for this, but I have always thought that Rock music especially could be used as an effective weapon in warfare.

For instance, if I had an army ready to attack another, I would set up a massive wall of speakers and blast them with Heavy Metal music for hours, if not days. That would certainly unsettle anyone, but especially those unfamiliar with this type of music.

Then you attack. :twisted:

I had also thought that Heavy Metal or Rap could be played to detainees to break them down. Obviously, other have come up with this same idea.

Don't get me wrong. I am a peaceful guy who thinks war should be avoided as much as possible. I also think that torture is wrong.

But if you must fight........

Fight to win.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wes: Ever seen the movie Kelly's Heroes? I have a feeling you'd like it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Greg

No, I've never seen that movie.

As I said earlier, I am not about war. I do believe it is necessary at times, but should be the last resort.

Back during the Cold War I always thought the best way to break down communism was through Rock music. Let's face it, Rock is about rebellion and freedom of thought. Any society that is controlled by the government could be overthrown through Rock music.

But Rock is not really too bad for democratic societies. These societies tolerate freedom of thought and even rebellion to a degree. So, Rock is not a threat to these systems.

But making people listen to hours of Rap is absolute torture. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't like rap :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

For instance, if I had an army ready to attack another, I would set up a massive wall of speakers and blast them with Heavy Metal music for hours, if not days. That would certainly unsettle anyone, but especially those unfamiliar with this type of music.

Then you attack. :twisted:

s'been done Wes. We rolled into Iraq blaring AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and some years back, when we extracted Noriega, it was following a 3-day seige where we blasted rock music at his compound 24/7. (well, 24/3)

As I said earlier, I am not about war. I do believe it is necessary at times, but should be the last resort.
You might like it. Most of the characters in Kelly's Heroes weren't about war either. They were opportunists, WWII is just the setting for the story. It stars Carroll O'Connor, Don Rickles, Telly Savales, Clint Eastwood, and Donald Sutherland. Probably some others that I'm forgetting, but it was an awesome cast, and a great story. (and pretty funny)
But making people listen to hours of Rap is absolute torture.

Amen

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greg

But making people listen to hours of Rap is absolute torture. :D

Funny flick. WWII comedy in which Donald Sutherland plays a tank commander who uses music to terrorize the Nazis. See Scratchmonkey's rec above!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

My two cents..........

I absolutely cannot stand rap. To me, it's on par with the Jerry Springer show. The second I hear it I turn it off. Either could be used to torture me!

Thankyouverymuch!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Heavy metal has been used in Iraq to aid in breaking down detainees also. Theyr deprived of sleep, are thrown in a cargo container with a hugley powerful light beaming in and heavy metal playing loud. Metallica's Enter Sandman was in fact one of the songs used.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 9