124 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
18 K Views
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

My two cents..........

I absolutely cannot stand rap. To me, it's on par with the Jerry Springer show. The second I hear it I turn it off. Either could be used to torture me!

Thankyouverymuch!

Lovin' you!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't like rap :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I always find rap to be pretty disappointing when I hear it. On one hand, I like the sound, but on the other, I really don't care about what a gangsta' you are, how rich you are, or your squad's reputation. It would be nice to hear something that was lyrically interesting. It's not all bad -- I love Weerd Science and I usually like Outkast's stuff, but I never hear anything but fluff on the radio.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I like rock and blues, but rap is great to listen to. I think its a challenging musical style - for different reasons than rock and blues. I find it hard to perform - I can sing along with a lot of rock and blues, but singing along with rap requires a different kind of breath control and flow. Although there's a lot of rap out there which has pretty shallow lyrics, Eminem is doing some good stuff. I think "Sing For The Moment" is a very powerful song. There's a lot of raw emotion in there.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/singforthemoment.html

Also, rock and blues doesn't work so well for dancing. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't like rap :!:

Déjà Vu

I don't like it, either.

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

I think that old rap (early 90's) was pretty good, lyrically creative, and it was about something. These days, the first album by a rapper is about how ghetto they are, and the second is about how rich they are :?

I totally agree. Groups like Public Enemy and NWA had a message. Their songs were filled with political and social commentary, something that you won't find in the rap artists of today (with a few exceptions e.g. Nas). Contemporary rap is very shallow, for the most part, with a majority of the lyrics involving the rims on their cars, their bling, or their ever growing harem of hos. You can probably compare them to the hair metal bands of the 80's.

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Rap, like every other genre out there, has artists, and the guys the record companies can sell to the musically illiterate public in mass quantities. The two have almost nothing to do with each other.

The CD's you find in the rap section of Best Buy have the same artistic merit as the CD's you find in the Rock section. The same people pushing Brittney Spears are the one's trying to sell Eimenem. The common theme is marketability trumps music.

All rap isn't the gangsta ho chasin' variety.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think that old rap (early 90's) was pretty good, lyrically creative, and it was about something. These days, the first album by a rapper is about how ghetto they are, and the second is about how rich they are :?

I totally agree. Groups like Public Enemy and NWA had a message. Their songs were filled with political and social commentary, something that you won't find in the rap artists of today (with a few exceptions e.g. Nas). Contemporary rap is very shallow, for the most part, with a majority of the lyrics involving the rims on their cars, their bling, or their ever growing harem of hos. You can probably compare them to the hair metal bands of the 80's.

You can say the same about rock , and my parents said the same about early rock-n-roll :wink: Every generation has its own music( more or less) styles change and record companies get hold of the music and then it sucks :cry: I don't care for rap but I would think like rock and blues there is good rap music out there, you just have to look for it a bit harder :D--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

...but I would think like rock and blues there is good rap music out there...
Yeah, ...you'd think so. :?

'course, when I was (ostensibly) growing up, Jim Croce had a song called "Trucker's rap" and another called "Carmella rap", in both cases, it was just him talking.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I personally don't like rap, as it is the current music of my generation, (current high schoolers)

I don't really consider it as anything, it's just people talking fast to a simple drum beat.

However, I will admite that I kinda liekd the early rap where it had a message to the song, not about how much money you have. If you guys want a good song listen to "Coolio- Gangsta's Paradise" it's an old song but its pretty good.

As a final comment, the main reason I don't like rap is becuase you have a bunch of rich people acting like they're poor and homeless.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

weird Al did "amish paradise" i kinda liked that for about a week or so....

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

weird Al did "amish paradise" i kinda liked that for about a week or so....
Gangsters Paradise was stolen from Stevie wonder the album was "Songs in the Key Of Life" I'm not sure what the song was called, but I just heard it on the radio the other day :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't really consider it as anything, it's just people talking fast to a simple drum beat.
Yeah, and rock is just people talking at different pitches over unclear guitars. Like everybody can't talk low and then high!

It may seem easy, but it's not. I don't much care if you like rap or not, but dismissing it because it's simply constructed and isn't singing is a little silly. It's music, just as much as anything is. It's just not music you like.

On a side note, has anyone seen Chris Rock: Never Scared? He's got a funny bit in there about getting tired of defending rap music.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Rap, like every other genre out there, has artists, and the guys the record companies can sell to the musically illiterate public in mass quantities. The two have almost nothing to do with each other.

The CD's you find in the rap section of Best Buy have the same artistic merit as the CD's you find in the Rock section. The same people pushing Brittney Spears are the one's trying to sell Eimenem. The common theme is marketability trumps music.

All rap isn't the gangsta ho chasin' variety.

Kingpatzer hit the nail on the head. There are a ton of independent artists out there that are putting out great rap/hip-hop. For those of you that are interested, here is a short list of some artists who are talking about more than their bling:

Atmosphere (My current favorite. Fantastic grooves and thought provoking lyrics.)
MF Doom (His newest is a team up with Dangermouse under the name Danger Doom.)
Peanut Butter Wolf (Samples and beats that make you wanna shake your grove thing!)
M.I.A. (New girl on the scene. Recently had a song featured in a Honda ad. Again with the shaking and grooving.)
Aesop Rock (If you want lyrics, look no further. Poetic.)

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Been thinking about it, wouldn't atonal music be far more efficient in breaking one down? I doubt I could tell my behind from my elbow after an hour or so...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 9