Notifications
Clear all

the Who and half time

41 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK .... it's in a stadium. There is a delay depending on where the sound is being recorded. The lips don't exactly sync up either. Do we really want to believe after 40 years of playing these songs they need to sync to a recording? Yeah, Roger looks old. He is! But in great shape for his age. As your penance all of you doubting Thomas' must play Pinball Wizard 10 times. :mrgreen: Or trivia question ... who plays drums with The Who these days?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ringo's kid plays drums and unfortunately I can't find the articles that talked about the backing track including the drums being all prerecorded. ( The writer made special mention that it was a shame that given the drummer was so animated his part was all prerecorded)

To me it looked it and sounded like it. The singing wasn't that good in the first place but TR there wasn't a delay that's not why.

Think about it they have to put a stage together in a matter of minutes for the biggest 12 minutes on TV, with so much money involved it makes sense to me to have had the rhythm prerecorded. What if something went wrong with the drums or guitars etc. There isn't much you can do at that point and I don't think the NFL would be too happy.

Tom Petty was canned as was many others that have played the Super Bowl it's not that novel a concept.

The only think that matters during the Super Bowlis the game and unfortunately my Colts lost :(

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

well, it was not perfect sound, so this strikes me as a lot of hearsay. furthermore, the Who are known for doing well live … and consistently, unlike the Stones, LZ and many others. a bit more forensic proof is needed before the evidence is conclusive. better call Grissom out of retirement.

Pete windmills were def off. it wasn't until I saw the second guitar that I could understand how he was nailing the timing. pre-recorded never even occurred to me. the whole idea seems very un-Who-like. sad if true.

win or lose, canned or not, it was an unusually good SB game.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I suppose there is no Santa Clause too! Oh noooooooooooo :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If it was all prerecorded, and time was so tight, then why did they bother to mike the drums? Why did they turn the amps on?

It doesn't make sense. They, apparently, went to a lot of effort and "wasted" time setting up stuff ( and take it down again) on stage that wasn't necessary. PT had 3 or 4 amps out there. If it was canned, he could have "used" just 1 - and not even bothered to have turned it on.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh neat. I didn't know that was Ringo's kid. Kewl.

I don't think I've ever been able to line up Pete's windmills with live sound.

Back to the big mega-drama, Townsend, on several occassions, seemed to be having wardrobe issue. His jacket seemed to be getting in the way and he kept moving it. Habit and does that subconciosusly even if only sincing, or very real? I dunno.

It's an impressive feat, setting a stage up complete with good sound in minutes. IF it was mostly live, wow. They'd have to do the sound test 1/2 a day earlier, tear everything down, stack equipment in order, unstack, etc. Tons of practice for weeks heading into the superbowl. The logistics and management thereof are quite impressive. Everything down to the last cable and mic stand is accounted for in the plan. It's got to be quite an unertaking, even without completely live sound.

I was also thinking, I've seen some Who footage and such, bet never saw the other musicisians on stage. Is this something new for them, or a case of not noticing them before.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

All to give the illusion of being live. It's pretty easy to throw a mic in front of an amp and never actually plug the mics into anything and turn an amp light on.

It was my gut feeling when I saw it and to be honest I have only read one article about it being prerecorded and again only the rhthym not Pete.

What made me think it was prercorded was the sound that they were getting and how clean and "unlive" it sounded. I can't really put it in words but it just didn't sound live.

And I wish I could go back and check those windmill strums with a slow mo camera from a different angle. I still say he didn't play at least half of them if any.

In the end it doesn't really matter it was still Who music just 40 yo Who music.

Found another article doesn't make it true but:
The stage was cool, the lasers were cool, and, unfortunately, the performance was cool as well – as in “not hot.” There was talk that the veteran rockers would be accompanied by some pre-recorded material. I was left with little doubt after a performance that seemed to feature the two rock stars, a drummer, and a few other musicians in the shadows who may as well have been sleeping as far as I could tell.

Kudos to whomever synched up the timing on the pre-recorded version of Daltrey's signature scream during “Won't Get Fooled Again,” however. Even so, I don't think too many people with a fully-functioning pair of ears were fooled into believing that it came from the 2010 version of Roger Daltrey. Some of those keyboard passages were a little too pure and true to the original to be believed as well.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Found another article doesn't make it true but:
Just someone elses' opinion. Perhaps we never know and to what extent.
In the end it doesn't really matter it was still Who music just 40 yo Who music.
Now I'm going to be really curious about next years' act. Seems The Who were not as roundly accepted as some others in the past. Perhaps another trip into modern light Rock, er, I mean Country music. Maybe Joss Stone running around barefoot doing some older classics? Neil Young? Nah, doubt that. Never thought I'd see the Stones doing it either, though, so who knows.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

This is the NFL here calling the shots and ever since the Janet Jackson/Justin Timerlake incident they have gotten very conservative ( Big suprise) so they get these old past their prime rockers like Tom Petty/The Who. All pretty safe stuff.

It just shows you who's still running the show...guys in their 50's and 60's.

Roy I've read more than one article now that I found and there was a reference in one stating that PT even said they'd be playing to a backing track to make it safe. I'm not sure about opinions that might be all you'll get until someone that worked it actually comes out to verify it, but since it is so common for a lot of performers at the Super Bowl to do it, to think that a couple washed up musicians in their 60's wouldn't do it is a bit naive.

All in all in was pretty mediocre at best, I think alot of people wanted it to be good but it just didn't live up to it. I read where PT said he was disappointed that no one in the crowd was singing along as they expected them too....so much for still being relevant.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you were disappointed with the performance, then think of it as Townshend and Daltrey doing old Who songs. To my mind, it's not the who without John and Keith...possibly the most irreplaceable rhythm section in the history of rock'n'roll. If McCartney and Ringo did a few gigs together, you wouldn't think of them as the Beatles, would you? If Kenny Jones and Ian MacLagan got back together, it wouldn't be the Small Faces without Marriott and Lane, would it?

Nah, that was just half the Who - as for the other guys, you can put a cuckoo's egg in a blackbird's nest, but it won't make the hatchling a blackbird! Just MY opinion, of course - YMMV.

I haven't actually seen any of the performance, and I'm not sure I'd want to....I prefer to remember the Who like this..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUBTX9kKEo or like this..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTdrPL22-Y

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with you Vic, it wasn't the Who...at least not the Who I loved so much back in the day.

But as many might have guessed with my posts I'm not someone that's into nostalgia so for as much as I LOVED the Who back in the 70's they don't do much for me anymore. Not that I don't like their songs it's just not a group I think of when i pop a CD in or turn on the radio.

I have now read several articles about the prerecording and maybe it is and maybe it isn't doesn't really matter it still wasn't a very good performance, the highlight was all the special effects and fireworks.

But in their defense I can't think of many that I really liked...I watch the Super Bowl for the football not for some lame halftime show.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I simply wasn't impressed.

The songs are good enough, but the show itself lacked the energy and sheer joy of last year's Springsteen show.

And the stage show itself struck me as ludicrously self-serving. "The Who" constantly dancing around the light show -- as if no one knew who the band could be? And if that's the case why have them play at all? Then we get the graphic of the classic windmill stance, my only thought was "Gee, a little more self-referencing please, I'm not sure I get it."

I found it to be mediocre at best.

However, I really didn't expect more than mediocre so I can't say I'm disappointed.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@tjk0225)
Eminent Member

I agree with you Vic, it wasn't the Who...

It wasn't the Who. It was the best Who cover/tribute band in the world. At least that is what I have heard PT refer to them as these days.

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I went back and watched the youtube videos and I don't think the rhythm tracks were pre-recorded. Watching the drummer, he'd playing the exact parts that are sounding. Watch the bass drums move. Also, check out the beginning of Who Are You. The drummer is playing the hi hats and there are parts where it mutes that are not in the original. What he's playing matches up. Of course, they barely show Pino Palladino, so it's hard to tell if the bass is live.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Man, all this hate on the half time show....at least it wasn't Paul McCartney...that was a snooze fest.

I will hand it to CBS this year though, they didn't drag the game on, half time show moved, the game was over before I knew it! That's the way it should be...about the game and moving the game forward, and not the hype. Of course 6 1/2 hours of pre-game kind of contradicts that, but at least the game moved.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3