Clear all

The WHO - multi-layered & talented Won't Get Fooled Again

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had to look up this song for an example or Sociological theme in my Psychology/Family course. Anything goes, but I choose lyrics, music and Pop Culture whenever I can.

First, according to Wikipedia, I was surprised that it was so multi-layered, though my son already told me about it's so-called analyzed or scientific nature, from his Musicology and synthesizer background, really, no joke there, it is I who was unaware of it's many features, genius and nuances. I didn't know that it was Keith Moon's last performance? Anyhow, it is quite a piece of work behind the scenes, and I like it fine simply taken for what it is, and how it sounds, regardless of which version you prefer - choose another or browse, if you have either less time, or more than the full 10 minutes? :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wo n't_Get_Fooled_Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=91JG1Qpq8P8&feature=related

And if you're better on computer than I, you can have real studio and decent sound plus lyrics here at the same time:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/wont-get-fooled-again-lyrics-who.html

Do any of YOU play this? And 'scuse me, gotta show Superbowl Pete with his gorgeous red Lace Sensor Strat. Single coils for power chords and big noise, eh? I won't get fooled again, no reason why they can't rock and blow off a stadium's roof.

Anybody know what the extra, body-positioned knob is for?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@preacher)
Estimable Member

Anybody know what the extra, body-positioned knob is for?

Im not entirely sure on this, but it seemed that his guitar got louder when he turned it. So that leads me to believe a volume, or mid-range booster.

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm....no way was this Keith's "last performance." WGFA was recorded, or rather released, in 1971....the Who put out at least another three albums between then and '78 when Keith died. "Who are You" was recorded that year - plenty of clips of that song on youtube, with KM sounding as good as ever.

I saw the Who in London, at a football (Charlton Athletic) ground, in 1973 - might have been 1974, the memory's going with age! They were loud as hell - I was way back from the stage, about 50-60 yards, and my ears were still buzzing the next day! I was only a teenager then, and Deep Purple were supposed to be the loudest group around - they were in the Guinness book of records, at 117bd. The Who couldn't have been far behind, though.....

Ahhhh, memories!

Eh? You'll have to speak a little louder!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm....no way was this Keith's "last performance." WGFA was recorded, or rather released, in 1971....the Who put out at least another three albums between then and '78 when Keith died. "Who are You" was recorded that year - plenty of clips of that song on youtube, with KM sounding as good as ever.

Vic

You're right. This was in the fine print or buried within the text of the Wikipedia article, and is probably a specific reference: "This was the last song that Keith Moon performed with The Who on 25 May 1978 in Shepperton Studios."

Oh for sure, Keith was quite a character, such as when he slumped over his drums at least 3 times at a concert, until Pete brought up an audience member who was not only a drummer, but familiar with his idol's work! :lol:

How often did that ever happen. Unreal, what are the odds? :shock:
and Deep Purple were supposed to be the loudest group around - they were in the Guinness book of records, at 117bd. The Who couldn't have been far behind, though.....
Vic

That is one cool stat!

As a matter of fact I tried a test with "Smoke on the Water" on my loudest ghetto blaster or portable CD player, and I clocked Deep Durple at 111 db. with my "Source" sound level meter. It was the loudest CD in that test. Turning it up made distortion, and didn't help, or surpass 111. That WAS loud!!!

I did however play my guitars at 125 - 126 db. on the same meter, and using a Fender 15 watt Bullet Deluxe Reverb amp with an 8' speaker turned to volume 4.5 - it screamed, you wouldn't think it was "loud" but it pierced and registered really clean, pure unclipped frequencies and damaging sounds, and I can hear it in my ears (tinnitus) today and always. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

From the Wikipedia article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Townshend - in the section headed "Musical Equipment") on Pete Townshend:

"Some of his Stratocaster guitars feature a Fishman PowerBridge piezo pick-up system to simulate acoustic guitar tones. This piezo system is controlled by an extra volume control behind the guitar's bridge."

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Darn you Vic! I just read this and was ready to post that cause I knew it! :lol: Yeah, it's for the Fishman. Good work Mr. Lewis. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Darn you Vic! I just read this and was ready to post that cause I knew it! :lol: Yeah, it's for the Fishman. Good work Mr. Lewis. 8)

I guessed it was probably a piezo pick-up in the bridge, but I wouldn't have known what make etc.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your responses. I'm all for the Fishman, but the knob is certainly in a unique spot, never before seen, rather different, so it's one-of-a-kind IMO, and well... if one preferred, could have been located elsewhere?

Thumbs up for the answer and link. It meant a lot. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Want to see more and learn more? It is actually an Eric Clapton Strat. Here is a link, it even has a video with Pete's guitar tech showing the features of the guitar.
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equip-fender-ecstrat.htm

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Want to see more and learn more? It is actually an Eric Clapton Strat. Here is a link, it even has a video with Pete's guitar tech showing the features of the guitar.
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equip-fender-ecstrat.htm

Yes TR, and thank you for all the details and the video. I enjoyed it.

I read everything, went through it with a fine tooth comb, took it all in! :shock:

The video is just out of this World - I mean it's all there, super science - great!

I am really interested in all of Pete's Strats and now we know the rest of the story. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote