Clear all

The Who vs Led Zep....

45 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Not trying to start a flame war here, I've been listening to some old Who and Led Zep albums and trying to work out who I like the most - really, there's not much in it, but here's my thought....

Daltrey V Plant....Rog wins this one for me. Not by much, but the unnecessary wo-woah's and baby, baby BAAAAAAABY!s and so on that Plant's so fond of throwing in kind of turn me towards Rog. Has there ever been a better scream in the whole recorded history of r'n'r than Daltrey's at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again?" Spine tingling.

Townshend V Page....Pete T's good, better than good, but JP's the ultimate guitarist for me. He can play anything - listen to, say "Travelling Riverside Blues" then "Kashmir" then "Black Dog."

Entwhistle V JPJ - no contest. Or is it? Entwhistle's generally regarded as one of the finest bassists who've ever lived - but have you ever heard Jonesy come up with a bad bassline? Ummm, no, is the answer to that. I'd give it to Entwhistle, though - ever seen the vid on youtube of his bassline to "Won't Get Fooled Again?"

Moon V Bonham - now that's a tough one. Listen to Moon's drumming on "Substitute" - then listen to Bonzo playing on "When The Levee Breaks." I think Bonzo just about sneaks this one - hell, ain't many drummers can carry a solo for 20 minutes. Or more. (Moby Dick.)

So, fairly evenly matched for me...the greatest singer who's ever lived (Daltrey) the finest guitarist in the history of rock'n'roll (Page) the greatest bass player in history...Entwhistle - and the best drummer? Pretty close, I think Bonzo just shades that one.

Tiebreaker? Hmmmm......Baba O'Riley's way up there in my all time fave list, Kashmir's just behind.....

So for me, the Who - just.....YMMV.

Love 'em both, but if I had just one album to take to a desert island (and something to play it on, of course!) then "Who's Next" would be my first choice.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

No fair! Can't choose, I love them both.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Vic, your comparisons are interesting, but as whole, overlook what many have observed about the nature of groups -- that they are often more (or less!) than the simple sum of their parts. Prime example: Lennon and McCartney were a far greater talent working together than the simple sum of their individual talents.

some mornings I get out of the Who side of the bed, others ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I think I'll answer based on what I would play on the guitar . . .

Led Zep

I don't think there's a song by the Who that I would care to learn to play on the guitar . . . maybe "Behind Blue Eyes, Baba O'Riley"

Whereas, we all know, anyone who picks up a guitar learns to play "Stairway to Heaven".

That song beats any song by The Who . . . but, to be fair, is probably the only song by Led Zep that I would care to learn to play on the guitar.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Man, two of my favorite bands of all time, and I have to pick?! :shock:

For me, Zeppelin would edge out The Who, but not by much.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Man, two of my favorite bands of all time, and I have to pick?! :shock:

For me, Zeppelin would edge out The Who, but not by much.

Dan

No, you don't have to pick - I love 'em both, but if you could time warp back to the 70's, and the Who and LZ were in town on the same night, which one would you go and see? I think it'd be the Who for me...but not by much!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Whereas, we all know, anyone who picks up a guitar learns to play "Stairway to Heaven".

Won't Get Fooled Again was - and still is - the song I'd most like to be able to play note-perfect. Yeah, I learned Stairway - can't remember the last time I played it, though. Or listened to it, for that matter. I was far more pleased with myself when I managed to put a version of Pinball Wizard together, and I'd much rather play (or listen to) Behind Blue Eyes than Stairway. That's just my opinion, though.....

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Me and my friend Egger (Don't Ask)have been arguing this one
for about 38 years now. I lean to the Led Zep side but only by
a little.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Both. I wouldn't want to compare Green Day and Ramones.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

great topic. I agree with Vic for the most part.
if each group were in town I would see Zep. no question.
Townsend is one of my favorite guitarists. being a non lead player like him he does things to guitar that simply inspired me.
Entwhistle is the bass player. Jones is right up there, Jack Bruce is maybe better, and the bass playing of the old timer, Jack Cassidy of the Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna is the all time best.
Plant in his day was the singer. amazing.
the scream of Daltry is the ultimate best, but his singing in general annoys me.

when both bands grabbed the synths it was the Who that got my ear.

Keith Moon was an insane drummer. he was better equipped to drum for Hendrix. his flourishes were crazy for sandard rock songs. but it worked. Bonzo made Zeppelin. the percussive tempo set the tones of their songs. his drumming was mathematical at times and never the wrong beat was heard. the beat lines of his were insane. coupled with Pages amazing guitar the songs were so about timing and tempo. two very different drummers. Moon was the madman and Bonzo was the surgeon. but my favorite drummer is Ginger Baker. :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I did vote for The Who, but that was based on the way Vic worded it with the "if they were both playing the same town on the same night......" question. I've seen neither live. Based on various live footage I've ever seen, I like The Who's performances much better. It's also mood dependent as I just now felt more like listening to The Who than LZ. (Got the "Who Are You" album playing right now based on power of suggestion)

I do not play any Who songs, but I do play at least one LZ song, and probably have fiddled with a lot more than I care to admit.

I can barely comment on the individual comparisons. Plant would suck at being Daltrey, and Daltrey would suck at being Plant..... which is a weird way to say that all 8 of 'em excelled at what they do/did. I don't know for sure, but I doubt that Townsend could have come up with the studio stuff that Page laid down, but I always felt like more emotion came from Townsend's guitar. That kind of thing I guess can be said about all of them. So and so did this better, but he did that better than so and so.

In the early 80's in Upstate New York, the big argument was always the Stones vs the Who, and the 70's in NH was always the Beatles vs the Stones. That, my friends, are topics for another day. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I actually got to see Led Zeppelin, still remember the date, May 7, 1973 at Jacksonville Coliseum in Jacksonville, Fla.. I was a huge fan, but the concert was kind of a let down, they really sounded sparse compared to their albums. John Paul Jones either played bass or keyboards, so sometime there was no bottom end. The guitar wasn't as full either, as Jimmy Page usually had multiple guitar tracks on recordings. Also, he sort of came across as a super-noodler on solos, he just seemed to play a million notes that really didn't go anywhere on some songs (like the solo to Stairway to Heaven). But it was a good show.

On the other hand, they say you really haven't experienced The Who unless you see them live. Never got to do that, but I have watched a lot of live concerts on YouTube and I would say they completely blow away Led Zep in this area.

So, if it is listening to an album, or song quality, my vote goes for Lep Zep, but live it's The Who all the way. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Well, I actually got to see Led Zeppelin, still remember the date, May 7, 1973 at Jacksonville Coliseum in Jacksonville, Fla.. I was a huge fan, but the concert was kind of a let down, they really sounded sparse compared to their albums. John Paul Jones either played bass or keyboards, so sometime there was no bottom end. The guitar wasn't as full either, as Jimmy Page usually had multiple guitar tracks on recordings. Also, he sort of came across as a super-noodler on solos, he just seemed to play a million notes that really didn't go anywhere on some songs (like the solo to Stairway to Heaven).

I saw them in Vancouver on (I think) the same tour, Wes. The Houses of the Holy tour, right? That night, they stunk! It was one of the worst concerts I've ever seen. They all seemed loaded, sloppy, the mix was terrible. I was such a big fan, it took me about a week to admit to myself, 'That was awful!'. :lol:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@crazyhorse)
Eminent Member

I can't pick ! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I saw them in Vancouver on (I think) the same tour, Wes. The Houses of the Holy tour, right? That night, they stunk! It was one of the worst concerts I've ever seen. They all seemed loaded, sloppy, the mix was terrible. I was such a big fan, it took me about a week to admit to myself, 'That was awful!'.

I am not sure what the tour was called, but the album Houses of the Holy was out. I remember my favorite song that evening was John Paul Jones playing No Quarter. This was the tour they filmed to make the movie The Song Remains the Same. Robert Plant announced they were filming and taping the show, but I don't think they used any of the Jacksonville footage in the movie. However, I recognize the outfits they are wearing in the movie, same as the show I saw.

Yeah, I was also expecting them to sound like their albums, which is impossible really. I wouldn't say it was awful, I enjoyed it, but it was just not as full sounding as their albums. Jimmy Page threw his guitar on the stage during one song and stomped on it a few times, sounded just like a guitar being stomped on, not musical whatsoever, I remember thinking that was kinda stupid. They didn't seem drunk, but Jimmy's playing was sloppy. John Paul Jones was great however.

But hey, I can brag I saw them live! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3