I can't pick ! :oops:
Can you strum?
do you mean windmill? :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK .. did we think song writing? No contest there. Townsend is a god!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

A few years ago, I would have picked Led Zep without even thinking about it. I still picked them, but I really had to think about it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Not me, I picked Zep without an instant's hesitation. I've never been a big Who fan. They're OK.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's a tough one, when I grew up I listened to The Who much more than I did Led Zep but I've changed over the years a bit it's much closer now, probably a pick em, mainly because neither are at the top of my lists anymore, Queen would trump both of those bands for me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Led Zep II and Who's Next would be on my top 5 albums of all time list . The fact that so many of these songs still get heavy rotation on classic rock radio is testament to their greatness . Whole Lotta Love was the song that singlehandedly changed my musical listening habits . An eleven year old at the time of its release , I was into bubblegum and early sixties pop music . Whole Lotta Love was the wildest thing my preteen ears had ever heard . " Way , way down inside .... "

My vote , however went to the Who . While musically it is impossible to rate one over the other , I feel that lyrically the Who had it over Zep . " Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss . "

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmmmm......I would have to go with LZ, but it is a bit like apples and oranges.Both were very important bands indeed! I was a bit more of a hard rocker in the day, but have always loved the Who. BTW Who by Numbers was my favorite LP. Anyone remember the photo on the back cover with Kieth Moon siting in a back-wards chair that had "Not to be taken" stenciled on it?

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I feel that lyrically the Who had it over Zep .

This is one of the areas that I give LZ a slight edge, but it's a matter of personal taste. I think "impossible to be wrong" could be applied to anyone's preference. I do like Plant's mythical aura abut some of his songs, like in the Battle of Evermore or maybe even Tangerine. But hey, PT did write him a Rock Opera that would be the baseline measuring stick for all to follow.

Still, it's hard to beat Townsend's openng line of "Deep in the back of my mind is an unrealized sound" on the song "The Music must Change".

Dawg, I've only got 5 Who albums and that's not one of them. I'll have to check it out. When I filled in vacancies left by the CD switch, I was lucky enough to get bonus tracks on the CDs of "Who Are You", "It's Hard" and "Who's Next". I think they are right there wth the Stones and LZ. I like everything they've done.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

BTW Who by Numbers was my favorite LP. Anyone remember the photo on the back cover with Keith Moon siting in a back-wards chair that had "Not to be taken" stenciled on it?

Pretty sure that was the front cover of Who Are You. Who By Numbers had a "connect the dot" drawing done, if I remember correctly, by John Entwhistle. Probably my favorite Who album.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I never could stand Led Zepplin, so I chose the Who. I just never got into the Led Zepplin sound, it was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A guitarist who'd bust up a nice Gibson is enough to put a band way down in the cellar in my estimation.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

A guitarist who'd bust up a nice Gibson is enough to put a band way down in the cellar in my estimation.
Yeh, what was that all about? Showmanship?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Not of a good sort.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

there are so many more Who tunes that I really dig -- most of those on 'Quadrophenia' (Bellboy, The Punk and the Godfather, I am the Sea, The Real Me, 5:15, Love, Reign o'er Me.., 'Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy' (a great title for a Best-of album) and 'Who's Next' (these and so much more make up for that juvenile 'Tommy' thing. :P )

OTOH, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown, Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop ("walking through the park one day baby ... and whadya, whadya think I saw?" 8) heh!!)

finally got HD cable and saw Live and Leeds and other live Who --- wow!

anyway .... good to have them both.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3