Notifications
Clear all

The Who vs Led Zep....

45 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A guitarist who'd bust up a nice Gibson is enough to put a band way down in the cellar in my estimation.
Yeh, what was that all about? Showmanship?

Then you'll hate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJGEn4FDys

though if you watch carefully, Jeff switches from the POS guitar to a LP. (Say "hi" to Jimmy.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If he's busting something, I'm not bothering to watch.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

yes, but not that disturbing (to me). it's the famous and surreal Yardbirds scene from the classic flick Blow-up, with Jimmy and Jeff together on "stage." totally contrived for the movie, but supposedly somewhat in character for Beck at that time. he was known to break the occasional piece of equipment in frustration, but not for performance purposes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

BTW Who by Numbers was my favorite LP. Anyone remember the photo on the back cover with Keith Moon siting in a back-wards chair that had "Not to be taken" stenciled on it?

Pretty sure that was the front cover of Who Are You. Who By Numbers had a "connect the dot" drawing done, if I remember correctly, by John Entwhistle. Probably my favorite Who album.

Peace

Yep, you are right. A friend of mine bought me the LP for my birthday. very cool album.Here is the cover. 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If he's busting something, I'm not bothering to watch.
Who do they think they are, smashing a perfectly good guitar

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm with John Hiatt on that one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

What is this ... SOCCER ? We need a tiebreaker here .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Wow, nice bump...

I'll be the tie breaker...

Led Zep hands down. The Who does nothing for me. Good music and nothing I would turn the radio over, but they don't make me crank it up. Zep on the other hand, well, I have about 15 of their CDs and nothing from The Who.

Daultry's scream? It's just a loud scream, something anyone can do. I do it all the time to scare the kids. Robert on the other hand, his screaming and chanting has soul, has emotion.

If it were to be a Floyd vs. Zep or a Gilmour vs. Page, then things would definitely be different for me. My 2 top favorite bands and 2 top favorite guitarists. The nod would have to go towards Floyd and Gilmour though for sentimental reasons that I can not admit to in my current fatherhood stage of life.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Lol I voted for The WHo just to tie things up xD.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ok, I'll put the Who ahead.

Overall, I'd say they're pretty even in songwriting. For the guitars, Townshend's rhythm work is great, and Jimmy's recorded leads are rock standards. And having once been the guitarist in a Zep tribute band, you'd think I'd lean that way.

But I've seen both bands live several times. And I've never been to a bad Who concert... or a good Zep one. Their performances never came close to the precision they showed on vinyl.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't feel compelled to choose one over the other ... but what the heck: I give the edge to The Who as well -- esp for the live performance reasons Tom cited. I will admit that Pete wrote a few stinkers, but he also wrote far more good originals. OTOH, much of Zep's catalog comprises reworked (and unattributed) blues "standards" -- done well, but highly derivative.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Led Zep, I live and breathe Zeppelin. I like the Who too but they just don't compell me. More a fun listen and sing a long but LZ comes on and I can feel it deep down in my soul. They move me just like a hurricane.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Daultry the greatest singer ever?

Really?!

Ella? Ray? Aretha? Elvis? Sam Cooke? Lennon? Marvin Gaye?

And that's not even touching stuff that doesn't fit into a popular genre. The three tenors?

But to stick to the question -- Zepplin. The Who always sounded just slightly off to me.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

This is really tough for me to answer, because I flat out love live music. To me, Led Zeppelin was just an average live band. I think Page sounded so weak live, back in the day. Blame it on drugs, blah blah, but that is no excuse, in my opinion. Guys like Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend were on drugs too, and they sounded incredible.

The Who were incredible live. Just listen to Live at Leeds...you don't get anything like that from Zeppelin bootlegs or "The Song Remains the Same".

On the other hand, I much would rather listen to Led Zeppelin albums over any Who album. It's really tough for me to choose, but I think I'd have to give the SLIGHT edge to Led Zeppelin.

ReplyQuote
(@kvnprv)

i really must agree with Purple,
i cannot say that i have gotten into The Who, so perhaps my own opinion is much more biased; but i have DEFINETELY gotten into Led Zep, and man oh man, one of the greatest bands ever without a doubt.
Perhaps if i pay more attention to the Who, i would appreciate them more, and i will say that they are amazing instrumentalists, but the Led has me for this one

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3