This is for Vic

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The single is already available! Meanwhile... the YouTube video.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looks like they had a few laughs making that video - and more than a few Xmas drinks! I like it already, but somehow I don't think it'll ever replace Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" as my favourite Xmas song. Jeez, was that really 35 years ago?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it seems they had a big fun making the video! I'd like to watch them live, they are a classic great band. I remember their hits in the 80s. Great moments there!

And I didn't know the other band. Here it is a video from 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OAUs0rcsA4

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Thank god for Status Quo!

The classic Christmas pop song is back to save us all from the "X-Factor"

Great video in a classic 1970's retro style too.

Maybe I'm getting old but this is great Christmassy stuff.

Hey Vic I think the Quo could do with a Christmas present of restoration resprays on those battered Tele's. They probably wouldn't sound the same after though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic I think the Quo could do with a Christmas present of restoration resprays on those battered Tele's. They probably wouldn't sound the same after though.

Didn't you know, Chris? They buy about 3-4 new Tele's each every year and get the roadies to break them in, sand 'em down and generally get that "used" look....you've seen the picture I posted about the ones in the Cavern, right?

Look at the way the top of the guitar's worn down to the wood on the guitar in the window - and there's two red plecs stuck in the pickguard. Now compare to the t-shirt I'm wearing....

THEN....look at this guitar....

Notice where the wood's worn down, and where the plecs are?

But all the same....
Thank god for Status Quo!

Amen to that! There's always room for a band playing simple three chord rock'n'roll (Quo, The Stones, ZZ Top, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Canned Heat etc) - at least, you think it's simple till you try and play it! And isn't it funny how the above three chord wonders (with the exception of Canned Heat) have all been around for donkey's years? Must be something in the old saying - KISS. (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)
The classic Christmas pop song is back to save us all from the "X-Factor"

I wish.....there are a few good 'uns around this year, though. And you know that berk (Burke) who won it tonight's going to be #1 at Christmas anyway, unfortunately.....

That programme's really getting on my nerves. OK, Ms Burke can sing - she has a decent voice - but you know, under Cowell's patronage (and he WILL patronise her, only Cowell knows best!) she'll end up doing the same cheesy ballads as every other winner's ended up doing.

Had to laugh when I read the paper today - to quote Louis Walsh, the dumbest put-down of the series was when Cheryl Cole said Louis was trying to turn JLS, or whatever they're called, into Westlife. He said that's not much of a put-down, as Westlife have sold millions of records over the last 10 years. IMO, being compared to Westlife is almost the ultimate put-down - they're bland, insipid, sickly sugary sweet, nice lads - and boring. BORING, BORING, BORING! With a capital B! Funniest moment for me was when Louis told Eoghan "you ROCK!" - he wouldn't recognise a rock if he got caught in a landslide under Mount Everest. Louis Walsh manages Westlife - surely the most clear-cut case in history of the bland leading the bland?

Got to get off my hobby-horse - yeah, I absolutely loathe the X-factor. I wouldn't watch it, I try my best to avoid it - trouble is, it's usually on when I'm eating my Saturday evening meal. And there's a telly in the kitchen....I usually end up with far too much salt on my food, to counteract the saccharine effect of the X-factor, and then have to drink far too much beer/cider to rehydrate.....

Oh and yeah, the Quo single's definitely growing on me - already got it worked out!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

There's always room for a band playing simple three chord rock'n'roll (Quo, The Stones, ZZ Top, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Canned Heat etc) - at least, you think it's simple till you try and play it!
I agree! :D

Recently I read an interview to Francis Rossi. He was joking about the three chords issue and he said he was learning or trying to include a fourth chord.

On X-Factor. We are also suffering these shows. We have the "Factor X" (note we've translated the name) and also "Operación Triunfo" (the same style but in other TV channel).

I guess they must be promoted by the TV producers because the singers that really make a record are a little bit part of them. We suffer those shows around perhaps eight years and probably there are only four of five singers in active now. However, they fill a lot of "TV hours" with the galas, the galas summaries, the rehearsals, the lessons, the programs about the show, the programs about "programs about the show", the programs about the female singers that were naked in the magazines, etc.

I guess that is the business...

Meanwhile there are lots of bands and singers trying to get a chance...

Do you think Status Quo, The Stones or ZZ Top were been accepted in that kind of TV shows? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Do you think Status Quo, The Stones or ZZ Top were been accepted in that kind of TV shows?

So irony is universal after all! Nah, those bands did it the hard way - slogging it out in pubs, clubs and small venues for years, learning their trade - think of it as an apprenticeship to a skilled job - and honing their stagecraft. And for a virtual pittance, too - just about enough to keep 'em in petrol for the next gig. They EARNED their status (no pun intended) the hard way.

Like Ringo once said, "Got to pay your dues if you wanna play the blues, you know it don't come easy..."

Even bands in the 60's / 70's / 80's who got noticed on TV talent shows like Opportunity Knocks and New Faces had probably already done a lot of hard work on their acts before they got on the TV - seems these days anyone who can croak out a tune on a karaoke machine can think "Why not me?" Maybe that's why they don't seem to have any staying power - they haven't put the hard work in, and that's why they don't last more than a couple of cheesy singles?

Vic

ReplyQuote