Clear all

This is Spinal Tap

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

alright i just watched this "Rockumentary" last night and for as cheesy and "stupid" as it is supposed to be, i kinda enjoyed it, alot. the music is actually pretty good. i liked it quite a bit. and the Stonehenge scene was great. i really could imagine how being out on tour could be a lot like Spinal Tap. And his amps go to 11!!!! haha

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol.yeah! some funny stuff in there, a few lines...Not as good as the other ones ... (Waiting for Guffman, a mighty wind, and the dog show one..)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I thought it was great. Better than waiting for guffman and (maybe) a mighty wind but it doesnt beat Best in show. I think that spinal tap is hilarious. I use lines from it often.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

"i raise a practical question. are we gonna do stonehenge tomorrow?"

give or take a few words. but i thought the stonehenge scene was great. and a year before black sabbath tried to do the same thing

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Spinal Tap is a great movie. I remember seeing a clip of one of the guys from Spinal Tap backstage with Metallica, I think at an awards show and he looks at the band and says, "The Black Album, well that's real original." I have also heard some rock star say if you have ever been in a rock band, that movie is not funny. Most of the movie is just an embellishment of actual happenings. I am pretty sure the scene where the band gets lost going to the stage was actually Led Zeppelin. I guess there was some hotel that has an underground tunnel to the arena and the LZ got lost.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@xtremesheep)
Eminent Member

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!! But alot of people i know have never heard of it, and i tried to look for it at best buy, and i asked a lady who worked there if they had it, and she acted like i was crazy. GOOD MOVIE!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Christopher Guest does a great job of making lead guitarist Nigel Tuffnel far dumber than any mere drumming imbecile. Even many of my non-musician friends know "... this goes to 11."

heh!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Stonhenge is virtually a replication of a Styx song that I have since blocked out of my memory. It was so bad. The first thing I thought of when I heard it was "This IS Spinal Tap.".

Meathead: "That's pretty. What do you call that?"

Nigel: "This one? I call this one 'Lick My Love Pump' "

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member

The lyrics to "Big Bottom" and "Sex farm woman" are pure, undiluted genius. Actually both songs strike me as something AC/DC could write on a slow day, seeing as how the innuendo in a lot of their lyrics is almost as blatant...

This space for rent

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I watched the 20th Anniversary special on the movie - Tap at 20 - or something, and what one of the many reviewers said is true: I happen to land on it while channel surfing and think "Oh, Spinal Tap," but instead of switching channels I start watching it and pretty soon I've watched the whole movie all over again. It doesn't even matter where I started watching it from, and pretty soon it's:

Marty DiBergi: Yeah, do you think you'd be happy doing that?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, I don't know, wh-wh-what are the hours?

It's like a time warp or something; sucks you in a vortex, takes you back to '83-'84, then plops you back out in the present.

Fun stuff.

I remember having a black and white striped shirt like Nigel did in that one scene. I didn't buy it because of the movie; it was just one of the things that was on the racks back then. Stage clothes shopping :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I remember having a black and white striped shirt like Nigel did in that one scene. I didn't buy it because of the movie; it was just one of the things that was on the racks back then. Stage clothes shopping :)

Ditto!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I was going to say they should make a follow-up but I think they may have already. It might be cool if they did another spoof and this time have it be some Where Are They Now/Bands Reunited/Behind The Music and gear it a bit more like all of the VH1 rockumentaries. They could spoof how the majority of these crazy rockers turned out to be straight laced parents. One could have a reality show (the Osbournes) and the other is now writing children's books. Ok it is a really cheesy bad idea.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Ditto!

Hehheh! Someone should organize a group photo of all the guys who bought and wore those shirts back in the 80s. Mine wouldn't fit anymore so I'd have to pin it on somehow lol.

ReplyQuote
(@kris_man)

Harry Shearer (Derek Smalls, the bassist) was on Tv in Australia saying how the guys get toegether every couple of years to do a promotion, in order to retain their copyright ownership. that'd be part of the reason they went on that Simpsons episode (which was, unfortunately, very unfunny. i LOVE spinal tap the movie, probably my favourite movie of all time, but that Simpsons appearance was :? )

but yeah, i've never come across a musician who doesn't like that movie!

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

I think the best part of the film for me is the guitar solo where he's using the violin LOL

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3