Clear all

this one goes to eleven

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

"he was so bad we had to apologise for him, people were still booing while we were playing"

hilarious.

i just got back from a gig and decided to wind down by watching "this is spinal tap" on the sky plus. I have never seen it before but there are some great lines in this film.

was this a spoof done by a real band? or did any real music come from this film? were the actors actually musicians?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Excellent movie!

The musicians in the movie are actors, but they actually played their own instruments. They've gone on tour many times. Also check out "The Mighty Wind", where they make fun of folk music. Not music related, but "Best in Show" is by the same crew and is a hilarious movie about dog shows.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

One of my favorite all time movies ... I own the DVD. I believe it was recorded in doubly. :P Yes, a made up band but the actors are pretty good musicians and there was a sound track album from the movie and they released a CD back around 1990 called Break Like the Wind. There latest work is called Back From the Dead. Check out their web site.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Spinal Tap was a great spoof group, I enjoyed them.

Don't know where their name came from, besides health & medicine, but it spawned a few radio shows called Vinyl Tap.

And kudos to local celeb Paul Shaffer in their movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Spinal_Tap , very good show.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It's not a spoof - it's a documentary!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:-)

well, i have been chuckling all morning about some of the scenes in that film. thanks for the replies guys, im going to check out some of the videos of them on tour if i can find any - when they play live do they perform seriously, or tongue in cheek?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

It is a spoof.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

It is a spoof.

Its both ! Its a mockumentary. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

:-)

well, i have been chuckling all morning about some of the scenes in that film. thanks for the replies guys, im going to check out some of the videos of them on tour if i can find any - when they play live do they perform seriously, or tongue in cheek?
They stay in character. The characters are serious about what they are doing, but what they are doing is funny.

They played at Glastonbury last year . Jarvis Cocker joined them as a guest bass player on Big Bottom :lol: .
They also played Stonehenge complete with miniature druids.

Any time I've seen them on TV doing a concert, they always seem to have a different drummer....

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If you get the chance, watch it with the commentary track turned on. They stay in character in it too.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote