Clear all

Thoughts on the Epi Thunderbird IV Bass

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... I've been toying around with getting a decent low-priced bass to add to the stable instead of (yet another) 6-string. I played the bass line to "Down on the Corner" at an open mic and it was pretty fun! I like funky instruments so I was thinking of an Epi Thunderbird IV instead of the traditional Fender Jazz configuration.

Any thoughts? I also saw a recommendation for a Yamaha series. I'd like to spend less than $300 (used) if possible. Let me know if you have any additional suggestions.

Thanks!!

The (down low and now thumpin' on the low strings) Dali

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've thought of getting one of those before. I like the way they look. I'm guessing like any instrument, there will be better ones and there will be lemons.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Neck dive is a frequently mentioned problem with the Tbird. I hate neck dive.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is "neck dive?"

I've never heard that phase.....maybe I'm too old.....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Tbird neck dive:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I got cha....thanx

Not a balanced instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

could that neck dive not be compensated for by moving the strap buttons? Duh, just clicked on the link below the picture. Sho'nuff.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information... I've hear good and bad stuff about these... I do like the looks of them... A few bass playing friends of mine suggested going with a standard Jazz bass. It is hard to beat the standard, you know?

I was thinking about the SX version:

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

My son owns an SX bass that he fools around with once in a while. I have played it too, although I know nothing about playing bass. My thoughts on it are: (1) pretty darn inexpensive, which is good if you just want a bass to fool around with, (2) sound is pretty good, (3) neck feels good (at least to me), (4) very sharp fret edges - ouch!, and (5) a few small cheap details that let you know some corners were cut to keep the price very low - not unlike any low end model.

So, if you are looking for a low cost bass to fool around on, go for it. If you are looking to commit to playing bass, you may be better served with a used name brand bass, of higher quality, but more $$$.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Some happy Rondo SX customers here Dali:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=337497#p337497
:)

Don

ReplyQuote