To Bite or Not To Bite

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I received an e mail at my MYSpace account and was wonder if anybody has heard of
Hitt Music Group

They appear to be interested in my music or are they ready to scam me.

Body of letter:

May 29, 2008 1:37 PM
Flag as Spam or Report Abuse [?]
Help: Flag
Message If you get a message that is spam (someone trying to sell you something, get you to look at their profile, or redirect you to another website), click the ‘Spam' button to notify us. If the email is not spam, but is abusive in nature (cyberbullying, inappropriate content, or another matter), click on ‘Abuse'. You can then let us know what type of abuse the message is. Thanks for your help in moderating MySpace Mail!

Subject:

A&R

Body:
Hey John,

Digging the tunes... Great stuff. Anyway, my name is Stacy from the Hitt Music Group and I'm on here scouting music for an independent film that my company is submitting music to. After checking your page and listing to your tracks, I believe my company would be interested in possibly submitting your tunes to this opportunity. Do you have anymore songs that are like the ones on your page? Anyway, I would need to speak with you soon about this opportunity to see if it's something that you would want to be a part of.

I would need to speak with you about this so I can get some more info about you and to see if this opportunity is something that you can even be a part of. So if you can respond back with your contact info (I usually prefer a contact number), I will get in touch with you with all of the info you will need in order to get your songs submitted in time.

Anyway, I will also leave my contact info at the bottom of this email in case you would like to get a hold of me first.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to chatting soon.

Any Opinions

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi John

Sounds very spam-worthy { is that a word? } to be , when in doubt make up a hotmail account or something similar and don't give too many details if its' spam then no problems mate , just delete the false email account .

In my honest opinion I call " spam " let us know what happens John

Cheers

Trev..

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

http://soundtempest.net/how-to-detect-and-avoid-music-scams/

Read everything, including the responses at the bottom....

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Trev and Ken,

I'm a fairly intelligent man and my common sense was screaming "SCAM".

My romantic dreams can come true side was whispering "what if?"

Very interesting article Ken. I think the comments section gave me
all the answers I was looking for. Although there was that small bit
of hope someone might say these are legit good people.

Ces' la vie

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is too bad most offers are spammy.
fishy.
as hard as I try I am simply, not that good. I mean compared to huge good. ie, Brad Paisley.
if I think about it. why would they want me?
"I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have the likes of me." anyway.
a favorite Groucho Marks line.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, that stinks on ice. :evil: Sorry you hear about it. Hope the next one is for real.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

would need to speak with you about this so I can get some more info about you and to see if this opportunity is something that you can even be a part of.

This is an extremely strange sentence to include in such a mail. If he is looking for music for a film he'd either want your music or not, and if he sends this mail it suggests he is. Saying that he needs 'more info' to determine if your worthy enough of this grand event is bizarre and seems to serve no other point but to pressure you into believing you should feel lucky you got the mail. This is also attempted by constantly using the word 'opportunity'. Apart from the simple fact that a proper letter should not include one word too much and should instead use some synonyms the words they chose only want to make you believe it's an opportunity, for you, that you just might be part of if you're very very lucky. :evil: No respectable business operates this way, and even if they were seriously interested it would show that the company would rather bully people into complying then instead of working with them in a friendly and enthousiastic manner. Such people do not deserve your music, or anything else that you've put your soul into.

Apart from that, never trust a company whose name includes something as cheesy as 'hitt'.

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I got similar letters from "record companies" last year after I'd sent some songs out for copyright at the Library of Congress. You know it's b.s, but yet that little voice is telling you "cool, they like my stuff" :oops:

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks All

I'm usually good a catching a scam but this one must have caught at a weak
moment. Missed a lot of red flags that are fairly obvious .

I'm so glad I posted here first before making any contact.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I would rather send some dogs to bite them.

ReplyQuote