Clear all

To Strat or Not to Strat...

15 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys. I recently walked into my local guitar shop, my favorite place to go. A couple of reasons, is because I can ALWAYS find a good deal there, and the feeling I get walking in there is just so relaxing. Dark, quiet, and full of instruments. Plus it is about a 2 min drive, considering the fact that we live on the same road. :D

Anyway, I walked in.. Well the last 2 times I walked in there I made 2 major purchases. First time I walked out with a Peavy Zodiac Bass Kit, for two reasons. 1 it was the day after thanksgiving sale, which was no tax, and it was only 220$. Online its about 299$. So I got a major price cut, and the red paint is just so amazingly clean.

2nd Time I went in, I took advantage of there layaway plan, and put my favorite guitar amp head (Peavy Valve King 100) on layaway. These two purchases were 2 weeks apart. Then about a few days ago, I went in to check on my head, and look at in the layaway section :P , and I stumbled acrossed a used Mexico made, Fender Stratocaster. This guitar was from the first look, about 10 years old. The body's paint has NUMEROUS scratches, swirls, chips, nicks, and blemishes that couldnt even be taken out with a buffer..

Well, just being curious I sat down and plugged into a Roland Cube 60 amp. Within minutes my face was littearlly .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

The yngwie Malmsteen just POURED out of my finger tips. Blues, metal, I mean it was endless. I have never felt a guitar that played a D major chord more like BUTTER in my life. The maple neck massaged my finger tips, and the INCREDBILY comfortably light body suited my expectations and then some. I experienced with the toggle switch, while playing fast. This got me hooked immediatly. The joy of ever so easily being able to switch to ANY pick-up setting instantly is so nice. Most guitars you have to go out of your way to change it. Being able to access the volume/tone knobs and the toggle within my pinkys reach was flawless. I could not believe my ears. The strats neck pickup was warm and very smooth, not INCREDBILY muddy like my Jackson's. And the bridge didnt get too bright, it stayed dark and loaded with a snapping-bite.

Well, at this point my eyes were being fooled by the looks of this guitar just simply because of how it played. I dont know what it was, but for some reason the mexican strat just made me have a whole new look on strats. I have only played 2-3,000$ strats before at shops. This 400$ msrp strat felt smoother, and sounded as good or better then my 500$ Jackson.

So I showed this to my girlfriend. My girlfriend, is well, lets say cosmetically opinionated. :x She brought me back to reality, and showed me how horribly damaged the paint is. Its not PHYSICALLY corrupt, but there are enough scratches, and chips in the paint to easily tell it has been gigged or poorly cared for, for over 10 years. So this made me take a closer look. After my close inspection, I realized that the High-E tuner was replaced. It is not a Fender brand tuner, it is some no-name. I also noticed that the pickguard will need replaced do to some major scratches. Other then that, the important stuff is near mint. The frets, fretboard, headstock, pickups, and bridge are all in sound shape with no rust. However the back of the neck (where my palm is) has some slight chips in the wood, minimal but they're there. Trust me. This guitar has probably been dropped 20 times. It has probably been gigged 20 Times. And its probably 20 years old. I dont know, but all I know is how it feels and sounds.

I guess im basically asking you guys your opinion on whether I should focus on buying this one, or spend the extra cash on getting one that has the same excellent feel/tone but brand new. My mom just bought me a brand new guitar for christmas, that I cant know about... so I dont know what that is either.. but I know its not a strat.

I know what you guys are thinking... how much is it already??

I talked him down as LOW as I could go..
He says he will do 159.99 + tax out the door. So like $170 for the entire guitar. :?

Would any of you guys pay 170 for a mexican strat, that feels good, and sounds good, but looks cosmetically not good? It is 400$ brand new ANY where else. or do you guys think 230$ more is worth it for one never touched before..

I dont know.. Im thinking here..

Let me know your opinions.

-Josh

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

hahah, uh.. yeah. I think they retail about $300. I bought a 2006 American Strat (Sunburst =)) for $700 new, because it was discontinued, which I thought was awesome. Hey man, if you can find a guitar that sings so sweet, and has a great brand name (Fender), for only $170.00, in my mind, you would be a fool not to purchase it. It has the wear and tear that you can only dream of. If you think that's a bad thing then take a look at John Frusciante (RHCP guitarist) who plays a strat from the late 60's I think, it's been worn down pretty good, try and find some youtube vids.

Anyhow, the only downfall I can see from this purchase is not making the ten years of wear and tear from your own experience. I hope ten years from now my strat looks chipped, with a worn in fretboard, and sings so sweet...

just my 2 cents.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Unfortunately these sort of decisions can often result in serious struggles between the head and the heart. :?

If it were me, I would tell myself that the various dings and scratches were irrelevant, and that all that matters is how it sounds and feels. I'd point out that the important components were in good condition. Furthermore, I'd remind myself that there would be absolutely no guarantee that a new one would have as good a feel or tone. I'd think about the money saved, and how pointless it would be to insist on having fresh paint and all round newness. I actually prefer my stuff to look a bit 'worn in'.

And then I'd almost certainly back out and buy a new one anyway. :roll:

Odd things humans…. You can only get so far with logic... :wink:

Good luck with making the right choice for you.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I think the way a guitar sounds & plays is much more important than the way it looks. You said you loved how it felt, how easy it was to play, and how it sounded. Sounds like a keeper to me. 8)

I also like the "worn-in" look, but I know that's not for everyone.

Tell the salesperson you'd like another $20 off to help pay for the high-E tuner & pickguard that you will most likely want to replace.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You know the answer already, but just for arguments sake, tell me again how the condition of the guitar's paintwork, wonky tuner etc., affected the tone, playability and sheer enjoyment of that guitar? :wink:

Tell your girlfriend that if she can find a guitar that you enjoy playing just as much, you'll put the $170 that would have gone on this one and she can pay for the cosmetic differences, ie, the rest of the cost. Until then, she'll just have to watch you spend your money as you please :)

That's my $0.02 anyway (or $20.00 if I repaint it and sell it to the right person :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

To me, it's a no-brainer. A Strat that talks to you like it does for $170? Heck yes. It ain't the paint job that matters. I've gone a similar route twice. I would not even do a paint job or anything. Why risk changing the tone?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Teles and Strats are made to be beat up - totally part of the Fender playing experience. But not every Strat is a good player and a tone king. Get it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

I vote that you buy it in the name of substance over style. A guitar that makes you feel that way won't come around every day.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Tell the salesperson you'd like another $20 off to help pay for the high-E tuner & pickguard that you will most likely need to replace.

Fixed that for you Dan. ;)

Oh, and a big +1.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

One word:
MOJO

OK, a couple more words. There is a difference between a guitar that has been abused and one that has had the crap played out of it. Take a good look at the guitar. Is the neck warped? Did someone mess around with the electronics? If it feels good and plays good then the only thing the bad looks is going to get you is a discount :D

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

If a guitar is ugly as sin, but it plays like it is the best available, I'd get it. If it is a great deal, good deal. Anything 15-30% off regular price is good. By regular price, I mean the lowest advertised price you can find. I hate ugly guitars, so I'd have to have something taken off so I could make it "purtier".

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Dude, as someone stated - Strats are supposed to look beat up! I'd definitely do it, and I'd make them swap out the tuner with a real fender tuner.

And we need PICTURES.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounds like it's probably a nice guitar, personally i am still swayed about 80% or more by the feel of the neck/fretboard.
I'm not really taken in by all these reported subtle and not so subtle differences in pickups, sustain, etc.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

When a guitar talks to you like that you should buy it 8) Who cares what it looks like. you can always put new tuners on it :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Get a strat, whether used or new. Your playing a strat is most important, cauz you like the tone !

ReplyQuote