Tom Waits?

47 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hello, I have seen this name mentioned several times on this board before (and else where). Well, I am finally going to take the plunge and buy a cd. I found some of songs and think his music is pretty good. Although, on songs where he has a stronger rasp or growl to his voice, I am not sure I could listen to a whole album of that but I have heard some of his songs in which he does not have that growl. I was also surprised to find out that Dowtown Train - Rod Stewart and Jersey Girl - Springsteen (live) were his songs as I knew and liked both of them. They are both presented quite different than the original. Well, ok I am being long winded... What album of his would someone recommend to a first timer?

Also, I should probably post this as its own topic but I am on the great music quest for anything good that I may not ever heard because of them being outside of the mainstream. This could be anything wierd, exotic, just something new to open my boundaries in any style from metal to country folk. I feel there is lots of good music out there and I am just not finding it, in part because I don't know where to look.

Thanks for any help.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

My favorite TW album is "Blue Valentine" I saw him perform most of it in a small venue in 1978. Its more bluesy than his current stuff is. definitely my favorite TW album.--ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I really like Romeo is Bleeding and others from "Blue Valentine." I will also recommend the "Small Change" collection which contains a number of his other classics: Step Right Up, The Piano has been Drinking and Pasties and a G-String.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Waits has a way of story telling thats just amazing IMO 8) My favorite from the Blue Valentine album is "$29 and a Alligator Purse.

"little black girl in a red dress
on a hot night with a broken shoe
little black girl you shoulda never left home
theres probly someone thats still waitin up for you
its cold back in chicago
but in los angeles its worse
when all you got is $29.00 and an alligator purse

i see already that vulture in the fleetwood
with the shartruse hood
can see you're trying to get your bearings
and you say hey which ways the main stem
and where ever you say you're from
he'll say he grew up there himself
and he'll comeon and make you feel
like you grew up right next door to him
and you say take a left on central
and he throws it in reverse
cause you only got $29.00 and an alligator purse

and he'll come on like a gentleman
and you'll be a little shy
you say your ex old man was a sax player
he'll say baby i used to play bass for sly
and you say you like his cadillac, say honey i got 2 or 3
he'll say sweetheart you're sure fortunate
that you ran into me
when you've done a dime in the joint
you figure nothin could be worse
and you got $29.00 in an alligator purse

well he got pharoh on the 8 track
you start smokin a little boo
you thinkin gettin out of chicago was the
best thing ever happened to you
but he ain't no good samaritan
he'll make sure he's reimbursed
lot more than $29.00 and an alligator purse

now the sirens just an epilog
the cops always get there to late
they always stop for coffee on the way to the scene of the
crime
they always try so hard to look like movie stars
they couldnt catch a cold
you only wasting your dime
and she's lucky to be alive
the doctor whispered to the nurse
she only lost a 1/2 pint of blood
$29.00 and an alligator purse"

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Tom Waits is a unique performer and a great songwriter. 8)

His songs turn up all over the place. Rod Stewart did Downtown Train, but he also did Tom Traubert's Blues, which is the first track on Tom's "Small Change" album.

Country singer Nanci Griffith recently did an album of 'Torch Songs' that had three Tom Waits songs on - Grapefruit Moon, Please Call Call Me Baby and Ruby's Arms.

He may not be everybody's cup of tea, but if you can appreciate him he's done a feast of good stuff.

Here's how he does Downtown Train:

Downtown Train

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I didn't know who Tom was until I did a recording of one of my songs and someone mentioned { may have been Nick or The Celt } can't rememeber exactly who .And they said it was very Tom Wait-ish ..

Since then I have listened to a lot of Tom and my favourite song is

Downtown Train

As already mentioned by Chris

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

mmmm I'm a huge fan of Waits...but I really warn you that he's not an easy listening artist: to summarize it he's to diverse: sometimes you will find him doing some ballads,a la Downtown Train..but also you will find him howling blues with strange and quirk sounds...if you pick 'Swordfishtrombones' for instance ,as your first choice, you're done.
There are different compilations like 'Beautiful Maladies'(from the Island years) and Used Songs from his Asylum period, that would give you an idea of what he does...what happens is that he has this raspy voice that is sometimes overwheelming even to a fan like me..
now I read your post and if you seek for something exotic, that open your boundaries, then his last 3 CD album 'Orphans' will give you enough material to dig in: the first CD is plenty of blues and rock'n'roll..the second is what people always loved about him: he's often accompanied with a brass section,doing some jazzy ballads, like an after hours pianist, here he does his best material IMHO and the critics agree it's one of the best he has recorded in years..and the third one is the experimental Waits:surrounded by looney sounds, influenced by Cpt Beefheart or Kurt Weill..and doing some spoken narration....quite amusing.
Anyway, if you don't want to risk in this one, or if you don't find the compilations, I would recommend 'Mule Variations','Bone Machine', 'Rain Dogs' ,'Foreign Affairs' and the mentioned 'Small Change' or 'Blue Valentine'. These albums will give you almost all aspects of his particular style...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

now I read your post and if you seek for something exotic, that open your boundaries, then his last 3 CD album 'Orphans' will give you enough material to dig in: the first CD is plenty of blues and rock'n'roll..the second is what people always loved about him: he's often accompanied with a brass section,doing some jazzy ballads, like an after hours pianist, here he does his best material IMHO and the critics agree it's one of the best he has recorded in years..and the third one is the experimental Waits:surrounded by looney sounds, influenced by Cpt Beefheart or Kurt Weill..and doing some spoken narration....quite amusing.

I was going to mention Orphans..... but dinner was called, and when I have a choice between keeping on typing posts and eating a good dinner...I'm afraid it's a no-contest. Dinner wins :)

I don't know how it's priced elsewhere, but here it cost as much as one and half CDs. But you get 3 CDs. So you can dislike a whole CDs worth and still be in front. First time through I liked pretty much everything on the first 2 CDs and quite a few tracks on the 3rd. Nothing I actually disliked but some on the 3rd I wouldn't get around to listening to again all that often, if at all (especially the narrations at the end, they're kind of one shot jokes). But I'm a fan of his so my opinion of Orphans is not really a good guide for somebody new to his music.

It would be a shame to not have at least some Tom Waits in your collection.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ol' 55
Hope that I don't fall in love with you

those are two you should hear.

My favorite is Swordfish Trombone. There are some killer songs on there, Frank's Wild Years comes to mind.

As far as expanding your listening try Patty Griffin, she just released a new album but take a listen to Simply Red. The first track is a little disconcerting and not like the rest on the CD, but there are some real gems on there. Other tunes to listen for, Moses, Making Pies, Stolen Car (Springsteen cover)

Gillian Welch is great too. Get the CD with the track Caleb Meyer.

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

No votes yet for "Nighthawks at the Diner"?
The one with the immortal line - "I'm so horny the crack of dawn better be careful around me".
Songs like "Warm Beer and Cold Women", "Better off without a wife",....
Great stuff. (As are the others mentioned in this thread).

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

No votes yet for "Nighthawks at the Diner"?
The one with the immortal line - "I'm so horny the crack of dawn better be careful around me".
Songs like "Warm Beer and Cold Women", "Better off without a wife",....
Great stuff. (As are the others mentioned in this thread).

I think this is also essential,along with Swordfish... , the problem comes when you have to recommend a Waits newbie what to choose... I remember I got a bit bored at the beginning with Nighthawks...

Now, if the growling its too shocking, try the first two Waits albums which are excellent: Closing Time and Heart of Saturday Night.

By the way, I laughled out loud with the Jim Jarmush's 'Coffee and Cigarrettes' sketch starring Tom and Iggy Pop....essential!!!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Ol' 55
Hope that I don't fall in love with you

those are two you should hear.

My favorite is Swordfish Trombone. There are some killer songs on there, Frank's Wild Years comes to mind.

I forgot about "Franks wild years" That one brings a smile to my face. About 10 years ago my mother passed away and we were going over here things and found FWY's in here music collection. I thought it was a strange choice for a 60 year old woman who generally liked more middle of the road type pop and jazz :wink: I still have the tape :D

You might also think about going to napster or one of those places and buying 4 or 5 songs to see :D what you like

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, Guess he really is liked on this board. Rgalvez mentioned his diversity, the more diverse he is the better, IMHO. I like artists that branch out with their sound. I already downloaded some songs - I just hate admiting it because I know someone people would object but I use it more as a tool to see what I want to buy. If I like an artist I hate not owning the actual cd. I have Downtown Train, The Piano Has Been Drinking Not Me, I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You, Warm Beer Cold Women, Jersey Girl and a couple of others. So far I Hope that.. and Jersey Girl are my favorite. So far, I would agree he is a great songwriter. I was hoping there would be a little more of a consensus just to help me choose but the lack of a consensus means that he must be good and that I should eventually pick up more albums. Well, I may be going out today, I'll let you know if I make any purchases and what I think so far. A compilation may be good to get my feet wet but I run the risk of if I really like his music just going back and buying all the albums - we'll see how prices are. Keep the thoughts coming.....

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Now that you have read the opinion of some fans , it's time to read what the critics say. I think now you will have a better scope:

Type Tom Waits in 'Artist' and go to discography.

http://www.allmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The music I store I went to only had one Waits cd - can't remember what it is right now, where did my brain go. Anyway, I know there are better stores but that one was convenient. Might just use the internet. Gonna check out the reviews too. Thanks for the help everyone.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4