Clear all

Tom Waits?

47 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you get yourself a trial subscription to emusic you can download 25 tracks for free, no DRM.

Tom Waits is on there. emusic isn't like Napster of iTunes, for one it's DRM free and two it has an extremely diverse catalog but no really mainstream stuff. You can get Waits, Patty Griffin, Sufjan Stevens, Leo Kottke etc.

If you are thinking about taking a look, let me know first. I'd get track credits if you use my name and I can send you a list of the best stuff on there.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If you get yourself a trial subscription to emusic you can download 25 tracks for free, no DRM.

Tom Waits is on there. emusic isn't like Napster of iTunes, for one it's DRM free and two it has an extremely diverse catalog but no really mainstream stuff. You can get Waits, Patty Griffin, Sufjan Stevens, Leo Kottke etc.

If you are thinking about taking a look, let me know first. I'd get track credits if you use my name and I can send you a list of the best stuff on there.
Sure, I'll sign up. I checked out emusic just to make sure I could cancel before having to pay and would appreciate a 'recommended' list - certainly doesn't have to be Tom Waits. Let me know how to give you credits.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll send you an email

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Do you need my e-mail or do you have access to it being the administrator and all?

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I haven't heard much, but everything I've heard is good.
I have the soundtrack to "One From the Heart" with him anc Chrystal Gayle. Excellent.
I love the line

"I've told you once,
and I'll tell you again
You don't defrost an ice box
with a ball point pen."

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Hear's a link to local Aussie band (like just down the road from me) Odessa's site, http://www.odessamusic.com.au/ you can download two complete tracks from their latest album, Call Me, for free, good quality. They describe their style as 'rockadelica'. I downloaded
the track 'CAll ME' and think it sounds pretty good. Hope you like it :)

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

As far as Tom Waits goes I like NIghhawks at the DIner and Blue Valentine, haven't listened to them for a while, dug them out of my LP collection last year and had a listen.

Robert Fripp is interesting for someone who pioneered creating lush soundscapes which he improvised over with goundbreaking solo guitar work; recommended listening are:
THE COurt of the Crimson KIng; NO Pussyfooting (with Brian Eno)

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, My lavender cousin, Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them all out. Rockadelica.. interesting. Rockabilly meats psychadelica, perhaps? I always hear Tom Waits referred to as the last Beatnik artist which every time I listen to "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You," (by the way, that name is so long to type out) I just want to snap! I downloaded the two free songs from Odessa. Call Me seems pretty cool.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Glad you liked Odessa, Purple. THey were playing at the local Mexican Restaurant/Bar on Sunday, but hubby JOhn said he was too tired to go out, and refused to budge from his seat :? On a brighter note he may be going to install Ben Harper's garage door down at Byron Bay, in which case I've offered to be his sidekick helper for the day 8) HOpe you keep enjoying your music adventures.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

:oops: :oops: I should have kept that one under my hat til it was certain - they got the job but it was for another Ben Harper who aslo lives in Byron Bay (NSW, AUST) - Ben Harper the American musician does have a property down there - I blame it on the hub's boss, sorry :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

:oops: :oops: I should have kept that one under my hat til it was certain - they got the job but it was for another Ben Harper who aslo lives in Byron Bay (NSW, AUST) - Ben Harper the American musician does have a property down there - I blame it on the hub's boss, sorry :oops:
No need to correct the mistake. I would have never doubted it!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The eMusic Dozens

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's a day late and a dollar short I know, but I finally got my link information.

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I agree with Nick... Swordfish is probably my favourite album of Tom Wait's. I wore out the grooves on that album in my early years.

Wait's songwriting is first class, as well as being an amazing storyteller.

John Hammond, Holly Cole has done versions of his songs as well.

Holly Cole's version is real jazzy and sultry. Where as Hammond's version is all blues, in fact Tom produced and played on that album, sort of a best of hits by Wait's without him singing.

Once you've dwelled into Wait's wacky world, it gets burned into your mind forever.

Enjoy

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I came across the magazine "Songlines" in the Newsagent yesterday - it has reviews of many different styles of music from afround the globe - it has a CD included with 15 tracks from some of the music discussed in the magazine. I bought it and have been enjoying reading it and also listening to the samples on the CD, it really broadens your outlook on what's available elswhere in the world.

You can read artist's profiles on the website archives, these are very good: photos, reviews of the best and worst albums, very informative :

http://www.songlines.co.uk/songlines/archive-features.php#1
website home: http://www.songlines.co.uk

The article on the late Ali Farka Toure swung me to try the last album he made in 2006 Savane - subtitiled 'The King of the Desert Blues Singers.

(Thanks Purple for your kind comment above, it really cheered me up, take care, no need to reply, Violet :) )

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4