Clear all

Tommy Emmanuel

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I must admit, although I have "known" about him for quite some time, I never really paid much attention - shame on me! I recently heard some of his songs at a party and was really interested in hearing some more. Any fans of his out there, can you suggest 2-3 CDs that a newbie must have and why? Thanks!

(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

He is an awesome guitarist but i've never really been into his albums - i owned on on cassette (back in the day). I have seen him do some amazing acoustic stuff on the internet though. His version of classical gas is a ripper (no pun intended :)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db_Wdlde0hU , and he does a great acoustic version of Livin on a Prayer.

There is also an acoustic instructional video he made that is floating around which is cool - he uses a thumb pick quite a lot if you're into that sort of thing....

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

Definitely if you want the best stuff get Tommy Emmanuel CGP Live One, a 2-cd live record with about 36 of his signature tunes, and it's extremely well produced as well.

If you wanna play some of his songs definitely get a thumbpick, it'll be living hell the first few days you use it, but afterwards you just feel weird without one on.

Check out his Day Tripper / Lady Madonna medley on youtube. Make sure to pay close attention to see he's playing the bass, melody, and lead all at the same time.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

does anyone know if he does seminars?
i seem to remember someone posting something about attending a workshop with TE

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

He does do seminars and workshops...when I caught him last summer, he did a 2 day workshop before his shows....It was great. Tommy is a great guy...very patient. I recommend you check it out....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

He is incredible live. I have one CD but I dont care as much listening to the CDs as I do seeing him live. I'll see him live everytime he comes now. Seen him twice.

Yeah, if you go to his website I believe it talks about it. I know people who know people that have attended the workshops. I havent yet.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Have a look at Tommy Emmanuel, Live At Her Majesty's Theatre DVD :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

Hiya,

This is my first post here, but I wanted to get in on this thread. If you haven't checked out Woodsongs, Tommy is doing a show on the 5th Feb. Also look through the archives and there are two other shows. The shows are available as streaming or downloadable video, or as MP3 files.
I used to be a huge Tommy fan when I was younger.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Yea that Feb. 5th show is right here in my home town of Lexington. If I can find a babysitter I am there!

The archives are great on the Woodsongs site. There is a recent Ed Gerhard on there and lots of other cool stuff. Bela Fleck has several on there as well.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote