Clear all

Too many hobbies?

54 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@bford)
Reputable Member

I consider my self a "Jack of all trades, Master of None''. As far as hobbies go. My wife thinks I am always jumping from one to another. But like Saber pointed out, I too think you can get burnt out if you concentrate solely on one hobby/task. I've tried golf but gave it up after I could throw clubs farther than I could hit the ball. I use to collect keys from totaled or junked out cars. I use to be into motocross. That said my main interests are:
Guitar (of course. thats what brings us here)
Flying single engine planes.
Collecting Super Bowl programs.
Avid DIY.
Volvo buff.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@jimh2)
Estimable Member

Like everyone else, I've had a colorful past. When younger I was into most sports, played clarinet, trumpet and drums through school. Once a little older I started restoring old cars and trucks. Always wanted to learn the guitar, but never had the focus to stick with it. And, since I was old enough to ride, I've been into motorcycling. That's really the only thing that has held my interest throughout my life.

No that I'm 47, my interests are:
- Keeping up with my 4 year old son
- My Harley
- Collecting Harley memorabilia and t-shirts
- Learning the guitar
- weight lifting (when my 4 herniated discs allow it)

Music is the universal language, love is the key.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I have way more hobbies than money or time allows. :)

- Computers
- Guitar
- SCUBA
- Volleyball
- Softball
- Mountain Biking
- Camping
- Audio/Video
- Video Games

I think there are more, but those are the main ones. Except for SCUBA, I'm involved in each of those each week if not each day. Add to the mix a fiancee and kids, and I'm really surprised I have enough time to do more than just one or two. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guitar is very important to me - it not only makes me feel good, it helps me pour my feelings out when I'm writing a song....so it's been my number one hobby/pastime for the last couple of years....

Apart from that, I listen to a lot of classic rock, I read a lot and that's about it - watch Rugby League, Football and Cricket on TV, apart from the sports about the only things I watch these days are "24" and "Law & Order".....

So yes, I'm pretty obsessional about guitar....and why not?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

So yes, I'm pretty obsessional about guitar....and why not?
:D :D :D

Vic

No reason at all why you shouldn't be!

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Guitar.
Song Writing
Karate
Writing Scripts and Stories.
Pool
Leaning to sing better
Soon to start learning how to record properly

Theres more, but these are my favourites.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

It looks as if many of us share the personality trait of liking to be involved in many different hobbies, some of which wax and wane over time.

At times, I have wished I was a person who didn't have so many varied interests. I've wondered if having too many diverse interests has prevented me from becoming really good at any of them. I've envied people who were intensely focused and remained so, on one or two pursuits only. However, I don't believe it's a personality characteristic that can be changed, or at least I haven't been able to. Much as I think, "Now THIS is a hobby I'll stick with forever," eventually I usually move on to something else. Music has been the one exception and abiding interest that has lasted through my life, even as it has taken various forms/instruments/outlets.

Author and life-coach Margaret Lobenstine (no, it's not me, a different Margaret) has coined a term for people like us who are constantly re-inventing themselves--"Renaissance Souls". I haven't read her book, but have read some of her articles and think it's an interesting concept. Maybe we should think of ourselves as Renaissance Souls, and not merely ADD. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Was my post intentionally deleted, or just a server mishap kinda deal? If there was a problem with it, I don't want to post it again, that's why I'm asking.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Was my post intentionally deleted, or just a server mishap kinda deal? If there was a problem with it, I don't want to post it again, that's why I'm asking.

I'm now extremely curious as to what hobbies you have that would be cause for deletion.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lmao.

I didn't even mention the S&M or cannibalism.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Must have been the farm animals?

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

We all enjoy farm animals, but even though I have a lot of hobbies, I try to make sure that guitar take precedence.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If you didn't get a PM along with the deletion, it's probably safe to post it again. No-one can reasonably expect to moan about it anyway if they didn't explain themselves :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

After reading all of these posts, I think I either need to get more hobbies or get a lot better on guitar, because honestly that's the only thing I can really think of. I just realized I have no life. Thanks a lot.

From when I was a little kid, all the way through high school, baseball was my main (and again, probably only "real") hobby. Playing, watching, researching, collecting, etc. Anything to do with baseball, I was all over it. Music was pretty much nonexistent in my life other than casual listening. After my playing days were over, I lost some of that passion. I still watch the game but don't follow it nearly as closely as I used to. Music filled the void I guess.

If you can call listening to music a hobby, then I guess that's another one, because I listen all the time now. I listen to music more than I play, sadly. And I guess you could call me a "pseudo-researcher", as I'm always trying to find new and interesting music to listen to, and am always interested in learning some blues history and factoids.

Fishing is something that I love doing, but it's always been something that I do voraciously for months at a time, and then completely stop for months at a time. I guess I would still consider it one of my hobbies.

There are things that I want to pursue. I want to get a bike (as in bicycle) and start doing that. I've always wanted to learn more about cars and how to work on them and fix them up, since I'm jealous of anyone who can do more than change their own oil. I'd also like to learn more about electricity and electronics just to have a little fun and gain some knowledge in something I don't know much about at all. Photography is something I wouldn't mind getting into either.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, I play guitar, bass & mandolin.
I LOVE to garden. (There's nothing quite like getting dirt under your fingernails! Unless, of course, it's a guitar string!)
I'm a photographer (it's been a passion for YEARS).
I'm an artist (I work in several mediums).
I LOVE to cook.
I do needlework (embroidery and crewel, mostly).
And, I'm kind of a computer nerd.

I think that's it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4