Too many hobbies?

54 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@stardust)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Heh, got people into everything here. :)

Well I said I'd get round to listing my own so... apart from guitar and dabbling with keyboard, I've always liked writing, fiction or non fiction. This is what I'd like to make a career of.

I've started learning to draw, too - I've always dabbled without taking it too seriously, but I'd like to be good enough to write/draw my own webcomic. The reason I posted this thread is that to become good at drawing, obviously you have to practice constantly and almost make an obsession out of it, and I'm doing the exact same with guitar. That's two quite big demands on my free time, and two things I really do passionately want to become good at. So I'm hoping it's possible, and that it's just a case of getting off my arse and getting organised. :D I'd hate to have to choose between one or the other.

As for sporty stuff, the only excercise I do is cycling. Ride my bike everywhere, but it's mostly because I'm too cheap to take public transport. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Well, I play guitar, bass & mandolin.
I LOVE to garden. (There's nothing quite like getting dirt under your fingernails! Unless, of course, it's a guitar string!)
I'm a photographer (it's been a passion for YEARS).
I'm an artist (I work in several mediums).
I LOVE to cook.
I do needlework (embroidery and crewel, mostly).
And, I'm kind of a computer nerd.

I think that's it! :D

Hello fellow artist. My wife and I are both designers and BFA graduates. My favorite mediums are photography, oils and ceramics. We've been artless for the past year though as we're building a house, with the first 6 months solely spent looking for the right plans.. :shock:

So now for My hobbies:
Reading (mainly the Bible right now, going through the Old Testament and it's fascinating stuff.)
Guitar
Designing
Surfing (when I can)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It's always great to meet another artist! :D My first artistic passion (other than music) is photography, but, I like to get my hands dirty, too! I work in charcoal, pastels and oils (and just plain pencil drawings), but I tend to lean more toward pastels. I love the way you can "work" the colors and play with light and shadow with pastels! And, it's playing with light that's led me to my current passion (and extra income provider)... stained glass! I've done quite a few windows and light catchers and a few signs to sell, but for myself and my friends I create pictures with "meaning" in glass. I've also worked in ceramic, but not so much anymore. I used to have a wheel and my own kiln, but sold them when I got interested in glass! (Plus, my shoulders started aching after spending hours at a time bent over that wheel!)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hum, not sure how on earth I missed this thread. My ex wife used to say that my hobbie was collecting hobbies. But since I shed that waste of a human bean from my life I have really narrowed them down. :lol: Guess I dont need to run from anything in particular anymore.

#1 Guitar and song writing. My main hobbie now.. Gosh I love you guys for keeping me in it this time.

#2 The Society for Creative Anachronism - Basically a medieval recreation group. We dress up, pretend we are of the middle ages, sew (Maybe I will show you some pics of me in my clothing), make different brews, sing, fight, dance all while camping (usually in wet cold conditions). Its a ton of fun.

I am, more specifically, Sæmundr (recently dubbed The Pure) bogsviegir the Icelander from about 900ad. :lol: :lol: 8) Ya.. we're kinda strange.

#3 Brewing - I love making my own beer, mead, and wines. I am getting pretty good at it after one year. In particular, I love my Robust Porter and a beer called 1503 which is an English Brown originally made around the year, oddly enough, 1503. Whatta coincidence. The porter is made from a beer kit and the 1503 is made from all grain.

Other than that I collect DVDs. I have almost 200 now.

Geoo
a.k.a Sæmundr The Pure

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member

Does anyone feel (after trying lots of things and finding they aren't really good at anything), like not doing anything for fear of failing, or just not being any good, so what's the point?

Hope I don't get too much flack, but that's how I feel........

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Does anyone feel (after trying lots of things and finding they aren't really good at anything), like not doing anything for fear of failing, or just not being any good, so what's the point?

Hope I don't get too much flack, but that's how I feel........

Hey Gary. That is exactly the way I felt before I started learning guitar last year. But it was guitar that made me realize that in most things the following rule applies: If I continue to do X on a regular basis then I cannot possibly fail. That does not mean that I can control how quickly I learn X but eventually I will get there.

I was so defeated when I first picked up the guitar. Even thought. OH great another hobby that I will ultimately fail at. I will probably end up selling this one too. I'll never be as good as I hope to be. Then I started coming here to GN. Everytime someone would ask how to learn something, everyone would say "Practice" and it dawned on me one day that as long as I pick up my guitar every day and play it and practice it with a passion then I cannot possibly fail. It just cannot happen.

So, I started applying that theory in other aspects of my life too. I used to be a completely impatient <insert which ever explitive you prefer> but now I have so much patience and I know that no matter what I want to accomplish.. I can do so. It might not happen as quickly as I like... But it will happen.

Hope that helps and I hope you get to feeling brighter. If not, write a song. No use wasting gloominess. :lol:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

geoo,

That's a great attitude to have...I only wish I could do the same!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hope I don't get too much flack, but that's how I feel........¨

No, I dont. And to be honest, anyone who is playing guitar hoping to become ´the best´ or ´one of the best´ is deluded at best. Ask yourself if youre enjoying yourself. Quality is both irrelevant and relative.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Beer drinking

Yes....Beer drinking....a most glorious past time!

My number one hobby...music. Not just the guitar aspect, but all instruments, although, since picking up the guitar, I have found that I have an appreication for more types of music then I thought possible, with the exception of rap (yuck).

I also have enjoyed tabletop miniture wargaming (painting the mini's more than playing the game).
Pencil and paper (dice too..) roleplaying games.
Computer games (not much of this anymore).
Used to be into sports...but, my knees and back arent as young as they used to be.
Fast cars.....really fast cars....and late 60's early 70's American muscle cars.
SCUBA Diving....spent 6 years island jumping in the Carribean....what fun that was!

Guitar is taking the majority of my hobby time presently.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4