Clear all

Top 5 Albums You're Embarassed To Admit

32 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so this is something that ought to be interesting. Your top albums that you have and like that you wouldn't tell your buddies about, much less your guitar playing friends here on the forum.

To prove my lack of insecurity about my man-hood, I'll start.

Crystal Method - Vegas
Moby - Songs or Play (can't decide)
Donna Summer - Play
Enya - Watermark
(tie) Pep Shop Boys - Discorgraphy (their greatest hits album)
(tie) Phillp Glass - (two albums on one CD. Glassworks and one other from the 80's)

Hmmmmm, maybe this is a sign of some sort of personality disorder.....

Alrighty, common. You've all got a few CDs that are hidden from public view laying around the house. Let's here 'em.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go clean the fat-free dressing out of my skirt. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

you don't have to be embarrassed to admit Moby. He has a lot of male fans. And Play rocks.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

All of Mariah Carey's records.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

OK..cool one:
Larry Carlton : The Collection. (I bought it to get illuminated by his playing, and I found out a cheesy adult contemporary album).
Radiohead: OK Computer. I ignored this album when my friends adored it, but finally I bought it.
REM : Life Rich Pageant. Same as Radiohead.
Rush .'Permanent waves'. Yes I have Rush also in my collection.
The Residents. The Commercial Album. I don't understand this music, but I always tell my friends that they are quite interesting.
Elvis Costello. 'King of America'. I always come back to this album to see if something happens...but nothing happens. I don't know why.

(to be continued)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

you don't have to be embarrassed to admit Moby. He has a lot of male fans. And Play rocks.

I guess Moby is an "I'm too old to listen to that" kind of thing. I got turned on to him quite by accident. One of his songs starts the credits for the first two Bourne movies. (Extreme Ways) Now I've got 4 or 5 of his CDs.

Oh, and I messed up the list. "18" is the name of that album. (Where did I get the "Songs" title from?)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

There's a record MobySongs. Tht's where. it's far better than 18.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I'm with pearlthekat. I really like Moby and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Most of these, I'm not particularly ashamed of, but they sure do make people give me some weird looks when poking through my collection. My feeble attempts at explanations are put in parentheses here for your amusement.
Dido - No Angel (what? She's nice and mellow)
Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions (what? She's got a great voice and a great vibe!)
The Crystal Method - Legion of Boom (what? That's for annoying the neighbours)
The Duhks - The Duhks (what? they're Canucks like me.)
Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics. I don't actually own this one, so I've never had to try to explain it to anyone. But everything I've heard off it has been quite good...

TZ

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not really embarassed about these, but I guess some of my friends might question them.

Karajan - Ludwig Van Beethoven, 9 Symphonies
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Yo-Yo Ma - The Cello Suites - Inspired by Bach

That's it really...Been getting a lot more into classical music lately.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Raffi

Third Eye Blind

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

craig david - born to do it (found this the other day for the first time in years and loved it again! he has such a great voice)

nora jones - feels like home (nice album, people think you gay if you listen to it :S )

im not really ashamed of any music, if i like it then its cool to me so i dont feel bad about it. those are the only ones i could think of cause iv cringed as people have seen the cd in my book and looked at me funny....phillistines!! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm not really embarassed about these, but I guess some of my friends might question them.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Yo-Yo Ma - The Cello Suites - Inspired by Bach

That's it really...Been getting a lot more into classical music lately.

I'm into classical music a bit too, but I really get into it when it's live. I rarely make the time for it, but we've actually got a pretty decent symphony down here. I couldn't tell you who does what though.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yo-Yo-Ma is about the best cello player alive right now, wouldn't be too emberassed about it.

ReplyQuote
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

"Loc'd After Dark" - Ton Loc 8)
"Everything" - The Bangles ( I really think my wife bought this, but she denies it)
"Dynasty" - Kiss :oops:

Wyle :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Definitely nothing embarrassing about Classical music (especially as I have that same Karajan set. :P ). I enjoy most kinds of music but the good classical stuff just keeps giving and giving. The more you listen the better it gets. It has survived for very good reasons... 8)

I admit that I used to have not one but TWO Enya CDs that my mother sent us one Christmas. :oops: Fortunately, I discovered that the woman who lives next door had no discernable musical taste so I gave them to her... She thought they were luvverlee.... :wink:

As for the rest, I'm happy to admit to all of it... although it covers such a wide range I'm sure that just about anybody could find a few albums that would raise a laugh... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can't think of a single album (is that an oxymoron?) I'm ashamed to admit to in my collection - although I did buy, back in the 7o's, an album by the Sweet at the tail-end of the glam-rock era....Desolation Boulevard. And I once purchased a David Cassidy album, though it was for the then-girlfriend so that doesn't count.

The Mrs, on the other hand, has a collection that borders on the twilight zone in the weirdness stakes - Daniel O'Donnell and the Corrs snuggling up to the Four Seasons and Meat Loaf.....The Darkness and the Osmonds (yes, you did read that correctly. Yes, THOSE Osmonds.) in the same drawer....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3