Clear all

Top 5 Albums You're Embarassed To Admit

32 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm really an old rock & roll kind of guy, but my CD collection is SO varied. The best thing that ever happened to my listening pleasure was the 8-gig MP3 player set on random. I love going from one style to something totally different the next song and something yet again different the next time....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Pat Bennitar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Hey, I was only like 10! I thought Benitar was hot and Michael... well he was just kinda scary ........ :oops:

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I'm not what I would consider embaressed about what I have, or like. When it's a rainy day or a monday, nothing makes me feel better than The Carpenters. I play Abba's "Waterloo" in the car just as loud as I play Queen "One Vision" or Kiss "Play it Loud." Two of my favorite albums of all time are Nat King Cole's "The Very Thought Of You" and Leonard Bernstein/New York Philharmonic performance of Mahler's 2nd Symphony "The Resurection"(Deutsch Gramaphone version). Ultra-Lounge, got a few, love Martin Denny. I have sold a few off because of sound quality or blatant political reasons. I wish not to give a band I despise a mention, why waste my breath?

If somebody happens to be at my house, looks through the CD collection, pulls one out, asks to hear it, the answer is "Sure. I like it. I bought it."

"Never let anything prohibit you from demonstrating the truth" Bill Nelson (or at least, it was on one of his albums)

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

You guys have to better than that!! Pat Benatar? Michael Jackson? ABBA? Donna Summer? Enya? Nat King Cole!?! They are suppose to be embarrassing? I guess this is all perspective. I have been made fun of for liking Jethro Tull and heard people seriously rank on Elton John. I may only be an Elton John greatist hits fan but his music (the stuff I know) is awesome. Now, I don't know if I should be ashamed of my Loreena McKennitt albums. That being said my most embarrassing albums that I listen to is .....

Enrique Iglesias - Enrique (the one with Bailamos)
Creed - My Own Prison ( I bought the second album but never really listen to it)
The Darkness - Permission to Land (this was total novelty at the time and I don't actually listen to it anymore)
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam

I probably have tons of stuff that the others who have contributed to this post would find very embarrassing. I am not embarrassed to admit I like any of the music I listen to. Since Nat King Cole is listed, I love Louis Jordan, is he embarrassing?

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Even my cheesy (to others!) albums come from the seventies!

"Ol Blue eyes is back" Frank Sinatra. Love his voice!

I Had a bunch of Herb Alpert and the Tiajuna Brass albums that I actually miss terribly!

A few Gilbert and Sullivan recordings from Toronto! Mikado, Pirates of Penzance.....

Neil Diamond, "Johnathan Livingston Seagull".

Kinda different, but I do enjoy them, I always get strange looks from my friends when they see or hear them! :twisted: :shock:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Come on people...

I have to admit that I LOVE Air Supply's greatist hits. "all out of love"?? "Making love out of nothing at all"? Classic

I also am a HUGE fan of "Wierd Al" Yankovic. Yes, if you haven't figured that out by my deadpan posts then you haven't been paying attention. Honestly...

"As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain
I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me
You know, I shun fancy things like electricity"

Just pure genious.

Others....

I like Billy Squier. Hall and Oates. The entire "Day at the Races" album from Queen. Hmm... actually most of my favored music is somewhat embarressing...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Nothing I own embarrasses me, but some of it folks would look at funny.

Stuff like X Marks the Pedwalk's Freaks or my Niyaz self-titled album, or some of my Afropop stuff . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I never said I was embaressed of Nat King Cole. I'm not even embaressed to be caught in the easy listening section looking for more.

I saw Billy Squire playing lead guitar with Ringo Starr last year. Class A guitar player.

Herb Albert and The Tiajuana Brass. "The Lonely Bull". What a great record.

I do have an MP3 disc I ordered from Russia with 13 Ray Conniff albums on it. Self-educational purposes, you know.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Sorry, but I can honestly say that there is nothing in my collection that I would consider "embarrassing". If I like it, I like it, and it doesn't really matter to me what others might think. My collection ranges from Cab Calloway to Merle Haggard to Janis Joplin to Michael Franks to John Lee Hooker to Paul Simon, and a whole bunch of others in between. And I like them all!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, Nat Cole, Louis Jordan, Cab Calloway...some of my favourite artists are popping up in this thread!
Here's another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BotgHssyzoU
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

I like to think there are no embarrassing albums in my collection but I'm quite the fan of 70's Glam rock i.e T-Rex, Slade. The family have recently informed me Queen is quite an "embarrassing" band to like (which I strongly disagree with). Though I guess it's strange to have a Freddie Mercury poster overlooking your bed.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I have a Leif Garrett album the name of which I can't remember because it's buried at the back of a closet. :oops:

And I have some Al Jolson and Burl Ives records - I really liked them once.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like to think there are no embarrassing albums in my collection but I'm quite the fan of 70's Glam rock i.e T-Rex, Slade. The family have recently informed me Queen is quite an "embarrassing" band to like (which I strongly disagree with). Though I guess it's strange to have a Freddie Mercury poster overlooking your bed.

I still love the T.Rex and Slade records I bought back in the glam-rock era - they still sound just as good today. There were other singers and bands from that era that I'd be embarrassed to admit to buying singles of - Gary Glitter, Suzi Quatro, Mud, for example. I've already mentioned the Sweet.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I still love the T.Rex ...

Since seeing the Billy Elliott movie, I have listened to and enjoyed a lot of T.Rex music.

I'm determined to get the couple of milk crates* of old LPs out of the storeroom this weekend.

*I wonder how many milk crates were lost to the milk companies for record collections: the crates were the perfect size for LPs.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Embarrasing might be the wrong word. Perhaps eclectic? Thinks you'll get ribbed about? Regardless, this has been most interesting. Glad I'm not the only one who has a scattered CD collection. I like my Polka CDs, my 70's mellow stuff, my Blues and all the other non-rock mainstream things on the rack. If anything, it makes for great conversation after the laughter dies down.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3