Notifications
Clear all

Top Choice For A Museum Guitar Display

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Honestly, I'm not much interested in just looking at a guitar in a museum. I'd rather hear somebody play it!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hey, if you can hand me one of the guitars I mentioned, I'd be glad to play it for you!! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd be glad to take a crack at it myself!

I dislike the collect-and-display mentality. Guitars were meant to be used.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I dunno, Ricochet. I kind of agree with you.....and kind of don't. Do you place any of your collectible fire-arms up for display, or do you shoot them all? I'd hate to imagine something of age, complete with metal fatigue and dry-rot, getting destroyed. I'd be too afraid to shoot 'em. Same with an old accoustic, maybe. Afraid to hurt the old and weak neck just by tuning the thing. On the flip side, imagine if every stratovarius (spelling?) was on display and we could never hear one? Ucky. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I dislike the collect-and-display mentality. Guitars were meant to be used.
I feel the same way. I played the SRV Lenny strat and for a guitar that costs $17,000 I would be to scared to touch it let alone play it alot.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Funny no-one's mentioned one of Hendrix's guitars yet - there was something in the paper the other day about his old burnt Strat, the one he set on fire (was it while playing "Fire?") going up for auction and it was expected to fetch $1million - and it's completely unplayable, at that!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I dunno, Ricochet. I kind of agree with you.....and kind of don't. Do you place any of your collectible fire-arms up for display, or do you shoot them all? I'd hate to imagine something of age, complete with metal fatigue and dry-rot, getting destroyed. I'd be too afraid to shoot 'em. Same with an old accoustic, maybe. Afraid to hurt the old and weak neck just by tuning the thing. On the flip side, imagine if every stratovarius (spelling?) was on display and we could never hear one? Ucky. :cry:

+1

I watch very little TV, but there are 2 programs a week that I usually do see. One is a humorous music quiz show, and the other is called Collectors. Some of them use their collections on a regular basis, and some don't. Although the collecting of mass amounts of objects and putting them in cases or on static display in some way is utterly not for me, I still enjoy looking at the efforts of those who do. It nearly always seems like a good way to preserve things that might otherwise have been slowly devalued and lost. For instance, rather than decaying in a coffin underground or being fried and scattered, I'd rather like to be stuffed and stood in the hallway and used as a hatstand and coat rack. Half way between fully functioning usage, and being lost altogether.... :|

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

If I had a '69 whatever, played by whomever, I would have to play it. I would have it on display no doubt, but I'd have to play it ...it would be a waste not to. Plus, you never know if some of the mojo would rub off on you !!! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

I would put one of those stupid Joe Strummer teles in a sugarglass display and then after explaining the history of the guitar I would crash into it and freak all the yuppies out. :D

Peace,
JICK

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I dunno, Ricochet. I kind of agree with you.....and kind of don't. Do you place any of your collectible fire-arms up for display, or do you shoot them all? I'd hate to imagine something of age, complete with metal fatigue and dry-rot, getting destroyed. I'd be too afraid to shoot 'em. Same with an old accoustic, maybe. Afraid to hurt the old and weak neck just by tuning the thing. On the flip side, imagine if every stratovarius (spelling?) was on display and we could never hear one? Ucky. :cry:I shoot 'em all, Roy. Don't want one that's just a wall hanger, though if one's irreparably unfit for shooting I'll sadly put it up. I won't buy any of those "collector's items" whose absurdly inflated value depends on them remaining unfired, either.

Those old Stradivarii, BTW, have been extensively repaired and rebuilt over the years. Hard to tell what's "original" and what's not.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2