Clear all

Top Ten Bands That Never Existed

42 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Interestiing list of bands that we all know (or at least know some of them) but that never (really) existed.

http://www.earvolution.com/2007/07/ten-best-bands-that-never-existed.asp

10. The School Of Rock
9. Alvin & The Chipmunks
8. Hedwig And The Angry Inch
7. The American Medical Association
6. Billy & The Boingers
5. The Commitments
4. The Blues Brothers
3. The Rutles
2. Spinal Tap

and
1. Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's been a touring band called the Commitments since the film came out.....not sure how many of them are original members, or were in the film, but in the early days of the touring band, it was pretty much the entire film cast minus Andrew Strong (AKA Deco.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

From the 60s/70s - the Monkees and the Partridge Family.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

what about The Archies ?

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

WYLDE STALLYNS!!!

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The Panthers.

This is the name that my friend Stu picked for a band he always wanted to be in....can't say I'm too keen myself, but we're not that far away from getting a band together.....at least for jam nights.....so watch this space, fiction could yet become fact......

You never know.........

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rigsy)
Eminent Member

Vic wrote: There's been a touring band called the Commitments since the film came out.....not sure how many of them are original members, or were in the film, but in the early days of the touring band, it was pretty much the entire film cast minus Andrew Strong (AKA Deco.)

Think theres only two of the original band left at this stage Vic ( the drummer and the bass player). The guitarist in the film is a lad called Glen Hansard whose in a well known band over here called The Frames (they're well known over here but never really made it big)

Also bit of useless trivia for ya: One of the session singers on the soundtrack won the eurovision ( European song contest for our American cousins :D ) in 1993 (Niamh Kavanagh)

ReplyQuote
(@rigsy)
Eminent Member

What about Crucial Taunt in Wayne's World??

and No Vacancy in School of Rock??

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

From the 60s/70s - the Monkees and the Partridge Family.
The Monkees did exist - they did a live tour, in the late 60's, which included Jimi Hendrix as a warm-up act.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The Blues Brothers "never existed"?

The article says "Some of the bands on this list never produced one note of audible music, others needed real musicians to give them voice, a couple served as alter egos and one band is made up of puppets"

The Blues Brothers certainly made audible music - I saw them live. And they weren't puppets. So that leaves...

Needing "real" musicians to give them a voice? Both sang, and Akroyd played a decent harmonica. If the fact that they used studio musicians to fill out the sound of a central duo, that makes them no different from Steely Dan, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.

Because they were "alter egos"?

Plenty of acts have stage personae very different from their day-to-day lives. It doesn't matter if it's KISS or Iggy Pop - they're putting on a show, not inviting you into their living room. Every musician who performs puts an alter ego out there on stage - or at least, every musician who performs well.

Maybe what's meant by "alter egos" is the fact that they were already famous in another field. That's just sour grapes.

Loads of famous comedians are also excellent musicians. People who don't play can't appreciate how much work it takes... Akroyd didn't wake up one morning and think "I'm going to learn the harmonica so I can play it in this skit next week".

A musical comedian like Harpo Marx or Victor Borge is a musician first. All you have to do is listen; it's easy to hear the thousands of practice hours they put into their acts. And many of the comedians who don't use music in their bits are still clearly 'real' musicians - Charo is one of the world's best flamenco guitarists, and the most prolific songwriter of all time was Steve Allen. (Bet you didn't know he won a Grammy for best jazz song, scored dozens of films and plays, and once wrote 400 songs in a week to win a bet).

The last reason I can think of that would make the Blues Brothers not "real" is that they did cover tunes. So did Three Dog Night - to the tune of 14 gold albums.

More bands ought to be that real - I'd much rather hear great obscure tunes done as a cover than poorly written original angst.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

How about Pinky and Perky? They sang, if I remember my childhood correctly! :lol:

Oh, and The Wombles had a stint on TOTP (Top of the Pops, here in the UK) a few years back too :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How about Eddie and the Cruisers? Or, that band from Aminal House. Wasn't that something thrown together for the flick?

Or, in a comical sense, Milli Vanilli. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I agree -
The Monkees and The Blues Bros were real bands.
(I'm from the South Side of Chicago, so if anyone wants to dispute the Blues Bros.... LOL :D )

As far as Otis Day & the Knights goes, they were indeed made for the movie. If you watch closely, you'll see Robert Cray on
guitar in the movie.
They are now a 'real' touring band.

And the band behind Eddie & the Cruisers was a real band that had been together since the 70's;
John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band.
The sax player in the movie band was one of the members of the Beaver Brown Band - Michael 'Tunes' Antunes.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

How about Pinky and Perky? They sang, if I remember my childhood correctly! :lol:

Oh, and The Wombles had a stint on TOTP (Top of the Pops, here in the UK) a few years back too :D

Pete

The guy who played lead guitar in the Wombles was - and still is - one of the most criminally under-rated guitarists in the business. A guy called Chris Spedding. I remember seeing him in a band called Sharks - the bass player was Andy Fraser, late of Free. Excellent band, I for one am mystified why they never made it.

Check out his wikipedia entry.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Spedding

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I don't know what one would consider Booker T and the MGs. As I understand it they were a group of studio musicians hired to work on an album, and the guy they were supposed to be backing up didn't show, so they did number themselves. Green Onions became a bit of a hit in its time, I don't know how much more they did.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3