Notifications
Clear all

Top Ten Underappreciated

31 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

Kerry Livgren did my favorite guitar stuff with Kansas.

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I second Brad Whitford, his solos on Last Child and on Stop Messin Around are mind blowing. Every bit as good as Perry.

James Taylor is underrated. So are Jimmy Vivino and Santana. Also, I just heard of this really obscure guy named Jimmy Page. He's incredible, wonder if he's still out there.... :wink:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

oh and Izzy of GNR

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A couple of names to add to the list....

One of my favouite guitarists of the 70's was Manny Charlton of Nazareth - he could play rock, acoustic, blues you name it....he'd overdub all the guitar parts himself, was an excellent slide guitarist....most of their singles featured a slide solo....and he had the knack of sounding just as good live as he did on record....

It's hard to pin a genre on Ry Cooder....first time I ever heard him, he was on TV playing a solo version of Vigilante Man that absolutely knocked me out....he seems to constantly experiment with different musical styles and though he's more of an interpreter than an innovator, it doesn't detract from the fact he's still a brilliant guitarist....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

taj mahal, ani difranco, elliot smith, the guitarist from primus

they have all taken center stage in my head at one time or another. and none of them are recognized enough as the great guitarists they are (or were).

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Someone said Santana was under-rated. I remember a post a while back saying that Santana (along with Clapton) were EXTREMLY over-rated

Interesting ain't it?

I don't think I'd say either. Maybe a bit under-rated

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@kirokki)

Great article!

I was very pleased to see Phil Keaggy on the list. Up until now, I was wondering if anyone else on the site knew him.

One of my favorite guitarists that rarely (if ever) gets talked about is Paul Jackson, Jr., a session guitarist who has played for several great musicians ( Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc). I'm curious to know if anyone here is familiar with him?

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

As far as Classical is concerned, what about John Williams. I know that Parkening is the favorite but Williams has ventured beyond baroque. "The Guitarist" was an astonishing CD. The techniue involved is nothing less than acrobatic and to be able to accomplish this with feeling is just mind boggling.

Paco Pena: now there's a guy that just tweaks my nerves! How dare he play that well with that big sheep eating grin on his face! Fingers are not meant to go that fast and if they do, it should be uncomfortable. I wanna see strain in that face. Not a smile!

I would add Jeff Beck and Lenny Breau to that list.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Someone said Santana was under-rated. I remember a post a while back saying that Santana (along with Clapton) were EXTREMLY over-rated

Interesting ain't it?

I don't think I'd say either. Maybe a bit under-rated

Never underestimate the ability to make it look easy.

... and despite being "known," I agree with Hueseph, Jeff Beck never gets enough repect for his brilliance.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

There are also guitarists that I have heard and enjoyed but don't know their names , testimony that they are under-rated . I'll list them by band name :

Foghat
Molly Hatchett
The Outlaws
Kansas
The Knack (My Sharona's solo is asskicking)
Marshall Tucker Band
Nightranger

Etc. , etc.
Well, I know that Kansas would be Rich Williams
Foghat was Rod Price who just passed away on March 22. Sad loss.

Toy Caldwell was Marshall Tucker's guitarist.

And that guitarist from Primus is Tim Alexander, and yes, he is absolutely amazing! Check out the Hallucino-genetics DVD.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@dr-w-g-grace)
Trusted Member

Tim Alexander was the drummer, I think, Larry 'Ler' Lalonde was the guitar player, and he's pretty excellent.
Good to see someone way back there mention Elliot Easton of the Cars, you're right, 15 seconds was all that bloke needed.
Phil Manzanera anyone?
Lowell George/Paul Barerre? I've just borrowed my brother's copies of Feats Don't Fail Me Now and Dixie Chicken, wonderful stuff.
Robert Fripp, too.
If some of these people have been mentioned already, sorry for my careless reading.
One more name: Malcolm Young, the engine room of ACDC, great rhythm player.
I like the Cornell/Thayil tag team in Soundgarden as well.

Go Deeeeeees, bury this rubbish.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Has anyone heard of Guitar Shorty!!!!

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I like the fact that Frusciante and Alex Lifeson were mentioned in this post, because they both are great and overshadowed.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

gotta throw another one in for frusciante. check out live at slane castle if you get a chance. dave navarro has kinda fallen off in my opinion but he has done enough to get a mention in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Ottmar Leibert, fantastic player, Jeff Beck was doing what Hendrix became famous for 3-4 years before hendrix did it. I agree that John Williams is fantastic, I always thought Mick ROnson was underrated

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3