Notifications
Clear all

Tremelo

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@crossroadie)
Topic starter  

Hello this is my first post. I currently have a Gibson LP Studio, and a Fender Mexican Telecaster. I play Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, New rock, just about anything. I'm looking to get a new guitar this christmas and I'm interested in a guitar with a tremelo. My question is what kind of guitar is versatile enough to cover all of these genre's with a tremelo? Should I go with an Ibanez or Jackson with a Floyd Rose or something like a Gretch with a Bigsby? Which style is more versatile?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

welcome to GN.

Floyd Roses are good for shredding styles, where dive bombing is common. And while FR and its clone trems by Ibanez work well for this and have their adherents, changing strings is a real pain in the butt. From your description, it would seem you should look into a Stratocaster, often considered one of the -- if not the most -- versatile of guitars. A Gretsch with Bigsby is a nice guitar as well, but some players will consider it less versatile than a Strat. The trem range and feel is very different from most others. Another possibility would be within the Paul Reed Smith (PRS) SE (Korean) line, as this contains some excellent trem-equipped guitars at great prices. Can't go wrong there. Try them all and see what you like.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crossroadie)
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease, I hadn't even considered a PRS!

ReplyQuote
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member

I just got a fender squire strat for 87 bucks, with a tremello . there one sale. I already have a squire and i use it for every thing i play. It is a great guitar.It is also cheap. it is in the outlet link on there website. :mrgreen:

the most influential guitarist to my style is Tom Merello.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Not only changing strings but even simple tuning is a PITA with a Floyd Rose. Get it if you really need it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome, crossroadie. The PRS SE guitars are always a temptation. BTW, if you do go for a Strat, a Fat Strat, which has a bridge humbucker, takes you even a bit higher on the versatility scale.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

If I could have only one guitar it would be a strat. You can play anything on them with the right amp. :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Not only changing strings but even simple tuning is a PITA with a Floyd Rose. Get it if you really need it.
I used to own a beautiful Ibanez Radius (Guitar Joe Satriani plays .... became the JS model and price doubled :roll: ) but I traded it for a Marshall amp. Why? I could not stand maintence on the Floyd Rose trem. As mentioned, string changes were a nightmare as well as the initial tuning. They are so sensitive that tuning one string affects all the others. The trem floats or more accurately described balances. Once setup and tuned they are great .. but then .... :x Lets not even talk intonation adjustment.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I can't post my opinion of a Floyd without using language that would make a sailor blush. Bigsbys can be touchy too, until you learn the trick of using a soft rubber wedge to hold the string in place until ya tighten it up.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Someone on GN must like Floyd Rose trems, but it ain't me. The FR is such an inelegant solution (fancy words for design kludge) to the problem of tuning stability compared to G&L and Fender two-point floating trems with locking tuners. There will be those who will say the original, US-made FR is the superior item, but honestly "sucks less" than the licensed and knockoff versions would be more accurate.

There is a subtle niceness about Bigsby trems that one will appreciate the more one plays.

For the record: Jaguar and Jazzmaster trems are not so good either. However, they do contribute to the overall quirky timbres of those guitars -- just not so good for "tremming."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member

Strats are great guitars for all styles of music. I turned mine into a replica of Tom Merello's arm the homeless. 8) . I even made a killswitch for it.

the most influential guitarist to my style is Tom Merello.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Strats are great guitars for all styles of music. I turned mine into a replica of Tom Merello's arm the homeless. 8) . I even made a killswitch for it.

so maybe you'll appreciate this: yesterday, during the office Christmas party, one of the other guys who plays guitar and I pull a couple of the "souvenir " artist-signed guitars off their wall hangers and started playing a bit. after a while Kevin looks at his and says he can't tell who signed it, as the signature is illegible. the signature on mine was very readable: Tom Morello.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote