Clear all

Trying to decide on a new six string

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have convinced myself that I need a new guitar to go along with my MIM strat and acoustic.
Was thinking the typical avenue and getting an Epi Les Paul, but then I started looking at the low end PRS guitars, mainly the SE custom 24 that sells for around 6 bills. The reviews on both guitars are very good. I know some of you guys have played, or maybe own both of these lines. Whatcha think? Is there another make I should look at in the same range.
As far as what I want out of it, just a good quality guitar that has a sound unlike the strat. I play everything pretty much, but mostly blues and rock stuff with a little crunch and sometimes with full on dirt

(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

Something That doesn't sound like a strat... I recommend first look at a guitar with humbuckers, then go to guitar center or any good guitar shop with a decent selection. Do not look at brand name find a guitar that visually appeals to you and play. You might be surprised what you find. Too many people get hung up on the name stenciled on the guitar. I've played $900 guitars that felt like crap to me and played $150 guitars that sound awesome. You just never know what will feel good when you pick it up. At any rate that is my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth(which prob isn't much).

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

an SE Custom 24 is an excellent choice -- v. good guitar, and def not Strat-like.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got two Epi LPs and one PRS SE (the Purple one with gold trim, Paul Allender model). It's almost strat shapped, but with double humbuckers. Even has that same style trem that Fender has on their Strats. Only difference is that this one is good as opposed to the one I had on an MIM Strat. Oh, this one is 25" scale, not 25 1/2". Closer to the LP scale length that the Strat.

I have played a couple of the SE single cuts, aka the LP style, and they play and sound wonderful. Straight off the wall, too. Not always true for the Epi LP.

There's one Epi I'd like right now. The LP Prophecy GX at $800. Aside from that, I'd pick a PRS if looking in the $600 range. That's a lot coming from me and my love for my Epi LP Custom. I also have a standard. I bought it used. Some poor fellow bought it mail-order I think, and it came way out of adjustment. It was hard to play. I set it up and it plays just as well as my other one now, which I've bragged about here for years. But, the PRS....the hands and ears are talking and they say run with it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have convinced myself that I need a new guitar to go along with my MIM strat and acoustic.

Gretsch Electromatic Corvette or the 5125-9 Hollow Bodies with the DeArmond 2000 pickups.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

All suggestions are good, and I've just finished checking out the new Schecters, and Deans, and another NEW company, something like Phoenix with a bird on the headstock which was like a Dean design - I forget the name but the axes were freakin' awesome! :lol:

Jay Turser makes a bunch of good guitars, and they seem suspiciously like great Corts to me, all except for this one. http://www.jayturser.com/jt-shark.php Whoa, a bit, maybe a little fishy, or just radical?

I was simply dazzled by these beauties in person. they just smack 'ya right in the face - uber cool IMO:

Anywhoo, I didn't need to see that much to recommend the same - PRS again, I met with a couple of serious guitarists who don't have them, they both play Strats, one has only MIJ's and a couple of MIJ P-Basses that he swears are better than MIA, and neither one has a Tele? Anyhow, I more or less think & say that a PRS is a must-have guitar at some point, if you're allowed to collect.

Yeah, what the hack, join Nickelback, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelback and everybody else who has jumped on the bandwagon. :roll: I couldn't agree with this girl more, even if she doesn't speak English? :shock: http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/profiles/makito/index.html

Enjoy the site, look at the other artists, I've only heard of a handful actually, and check out your SE details. Very nice!

Re: the original post, I have played more than than handfuls of Epi LP's 'cuz guys bring 'em to me and ask that question that comes up frequently, "What needs to be done?", "How do we make it better?" while others of course are happy with theirs, and they may be right on, and favored guitars, more comfy than their Gibby's, certain lighter in weight and more casual - easy to live with - kudos to the many happy people here who swear by them and enjoy them a lot. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions. The one I have my eye on right now is this one http://www.prsguitars.com/25thsecustom24/index.html
Its not in stock yet on GC's website, but as soon as it is, I think I'm gonna bite. (got a gift card, and 15% coupon to use)
Looks like an update from the SE custom 24. They put the bird inlays back in and offered different color choices. Looks better with the pickups being all black and not 2 tone. Im thinking the Scarlett Red :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote