Clear all

Tube Amps - Scheduled Maintenance?

42 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure if people do this sort of thing or not. I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue that is going to be 5 years old this year. It does have quite a bit more hiss than it used to. could be many reasons, I know.

I called who I would normally use, but he's reduced his hours and seems to have embraced the ability to pick and choose what he wants to work on. He's considered the area guru on all things electrical in the guitar scene. He suggested this outfit, which is actually a lot closer to home anyhow. There's the link http://www.madscienceworks.com/list.html and the service I'm considering is #8 on the page. basically a lot of checking and cleaning.

We exchanged emails and he seems to be straight up. The guru guy at the first place I called did mention pre-amp tubes as being the likely culprit, and I'm fine footing the bill if that's what it is. This guy's prices seem in line, I think, with what I've seen in the area.

So anyhow, what do the rest of you do with your tube amos and maintenance? Do you do as needed? Every XX-# of years? Never, ever, ever unless there is ear damaging pops and enough smoke to trigger smoke alarms?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'll deal when there is a problem Roy, otherwise I just play. Is the increased hiss just your improved hearing? :mrgreen: Seriously, mine sound quieter sometimes than others. I just play them.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'm not sure if people do this sort of thing or not. I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue that is going to be 5 years old this year. It does have quite a bit more hiss than it used to. could be many reasons, I know.

Hiss sounds like filter caps or tubes. I'd get it checked out. $72 sounds pretty reasonable for what he does.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

If it don't sound right then sure maybe. You know my issues I had with the HR Deluxe. I did change the tubes but didn't rebias.

I know you're a by the book kind of guy so for the $72 bucks I might go for it.

I had a friend put in the tubes but you could do that yourself I'm sure, biasing is a different story although you can it can be a bit dangerous.

I like the part about they check the fuses? WTF it's either blown or not.

I'd say go for it if you have concerns about the amp. Does he have tubes if you need to have any replaced?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, if it's noticably wrong ... I'm just saying, mine perform better some times than others noise wise.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes reducing noises in a tube amp is simply a matter of reseating the tubes. Metals react with one another and over time reduce the electrical transference.

I wiggle the tubes out rather than just pull them.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I wiggle the tubes out rather than just pull them.
Interesting. I think I'll unplug and give 'em a little wiggle later one today. curiosity's got me on that one.
I like the part about they check the fuses? WTF it's either blown or not.
:lol: :lol:
Does he have tubes if you need to have any replaced?
Yes.
Is the increased hiss just your improved hearing?
Nah. My hearing never improves. It changes hourly, but never goes up or down. :roll: :roll: It's a frequency thing. quite unsettling sometimes. I digress. (5 minutes later, I'm back up here to report that I tempted fate again. The freq thing just happened in my good ear. I could play some heavier stuff now, at least. I'm not afraid of 2000hz. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Oh yeah, I have the other ear......doh!)
Hiss sounds like filter caps or tubes. I'd get it checked out. $72 sounds pretty reasonable for what he does.
Based on this and other responses, I'm going to do it. I'm going to miss her, though. 2 week turnaround unless I want to make an appot, pay the surcharge and wait around while he rushes things. Nah....
I know you're a by the book kind of guy so for the $72 bucks I might go for it.
If we take the things that you're by the book on and things that I'm by the book on and combine them, we'd probably end up with the most by the book guitar player of all time. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I wish nothing I do is by the book.

If you are going to wiggle your tubes, :lol: haha he said wiggle your tubes, make sure you wear gloves you can't get your grimy paws on those tubes.

But I would try that first especially if the amp has moved around a bit.

I read and not sure how true it is that Fender bias their amps on the cold side which in theory makes the tubes last longer but hurts the tone. I know you've always like your's so maybe it's no big deal.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes, hiss aside, I want nothing changed. I've played on a lot of them. Always one on display now at GC and usually one on display at Sam ash. Very consistent.

I'm the opposite with play guitar. I hate the book. same with cooking. I'll follow only baked goods recipes. the rest of the books are for pansies. :)

Then again I do use two meat thermometers when I cook in case one is off. BUT, I just get it into a range of temps and go by the outside and the smell as much as I do temps. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I do alot of cooking and have been since i was in the 4th grade although that was mostly soup and grilled cheese, but I rarely if ever use any recipe. I look at the ingredients get an idea and viola.

I have never used a meat thermometer but I like my beef on the rare side and usually under cook a tad on purpose. Pople always compliment my cooking not so much my playing :(

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm still not that brave on bigger cuts. Beef Tenderloin or up in size get measured.

Same way here, though. If I invited friends over for dinner and music, they'd bring appetites and ear-plugs.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I'm still not that brave on bigger cuts. Beef Tenderloin or up in size get measured.

Same way here, though. If I invited friends over for dinner and music, they'd bring appetites and ear-plugs.

:lol: :lol:

Oh ya... my ribs are WAYYYYY better then my playing!!!! :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I hear ya, brotha!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I've never done anything to my fender princeton reverb II amp. It's probably 30 years old and buzzes like a chain saw. Perhaps it's time to take it in.....

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nah, for an experienced player that's character. For me, it's unwanted noise. :roll:

A quick update, though. I brought it in on Monday. Little hole in the wall place that I never even new the building existed. I lived less than a mile from it at one time for 7 years. The floor was littered with old tube amps, all in various states or repair or disrepair. He also mentioned that the time was close to three weeks instead of two weeks like his website indicated. I'm taking the viewpoint that if he and his assistant have a floor full of amps and are looking at a 3-week turn-around time that it must mean because they're good. You don't run a two-man show for years in a hole in the wall place for years if you don't do a good job.

That's my story for now, anyhow. :D

So, I've got my calender marked for Feb 20th. We'll see.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3